PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Making some races for a custom setting: Help on balance!

The_Iron_Lord
2017-04-15, 07:40 PM
Hello All!

I'm creating a setting which is loosely based off of the Twokinds (http://twokinds.keenspot.com/) world...thus, I am creating a couple of races, and editing others. So far, the only available races are:

Human: Basically all Azurin, but they also get one free soulmeld. What LA is this worth?

Tigerfolk: I don't know exactly where this will be, but I think it might be something along the lines of a creature with a limited(?) pounce, scent, +2 Dex/Str -2 Wis...and maybe a plus to Jump...

Wolf-folk: Basically the Lupin from DrC, but with real scent, no Ride bonuses, free Improved Trip and Track (and a scent-tracking bonus), and a 40ft speed.

Foxkin: I honestly have little idea on what to do here...D&D doesn't even have fox stats that I know of, and they aren't felids, so no catfolk-copying...

Elves: In this world, Elves are a mostly LN expansionist empire, who slowly (using their long lifespans) absorb the younger races' territories, without overt conflict. However, they certainly are very deadly, being a fully militant state and expert weaponcrafters. In the comparison to Twokinds, they are a sort of Basitin-type civilization...

Please suggest how I can keep these balanced (LA-wise), especially against each other...Also, feel free to give possible additions/subtractions to the races' abilities...

Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

The_Iron_Lord
2017-04-23, 12:16 PM
Can someone please reply?

BUMP

Westhart
2017-04-23, 06:07 PM
Can someone please reply?

BUMP

Hmm, just saw this, if you wait till tomorrow I will throw some things together and see what you like using your fist post for basic guidelines.

Westhart
2017-04-24, 05:23 AM
Azurin Human: Although I have recently gotten magic of incarnum, I have not yet read any of it, so can not help you there, sorry. From what I have heard in builds and things, LA would probably be dependant on soulmeld) At a quick look, some are definitely better then others (by short description). Taking damage to heal is not a good idea, while one gives you the effects of water walk… Need to read though because this is just based off the short descriptions in the book… then there is the strongheart vest…
Tiger Folk
[insert fluff here]
Monstrous Humanoid Subtype
Tiger folk value mobility over brute force, and they possess a small amount of nture’s wisdom. They gain a +2 to dexterity and Wisdom but take a -2 to Strength.
Speed 40 ft, Darkvision 60’
Pounce: If a tiger folk charges a foe during th efirst round of combat they may make a full attack. (feel this is good unlimited, since the +1 LA could just be used to take a barbarian dip)
Scent: The tigerfolk possess the scent extraordinary ability
Tiger folk gain a +2 bonus on jump, balance, hide and move silently checks. (The last three a tiger gets +4 on so seems natural.)
Level Adjustment: +1 (seems low but consider: +2 is an afflicted lycanthrope or drow which have numerous abilities that often can be more powerful so I would say +1 tops)
Automatic Languages: Common and Feline. Bonus Languages: (Any others that would fit campaign wise).
Favored Class: Scout (Rogue if not using scout)
Wolf Folk:
[insert fluff here]
Wolf Folk possess the cunning of the wolf pack, and some of nature’s wisdom, however they do not value strength as much as some of nature’s creatures do. +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
Speed 40’, Darkvision 60’
+2 bonus on Listen checks: Wolf Folk have a keen sense of hearing.
Scent: The wolf folk possess the scent extraordinary ability, and gain a +8 racial bonus on survival checks when tracking by scent.
The wolf folk gains improved trip and track as bonus feats.
Automatic Languages: Common and Canine. Bonus Languages: (Any others that would fit campaign wise).
Favored Class: Ranger
Ancestral Hatred: +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against werewolves.
Level Adjustment: Once again a +1 because they do not stick with other +2’s, although if you wanted you could buff them up a bit.
Foxkin
Foxkin possess the cunning and survial of the fox, and are highly dextrous, however they do not value strength as much as some of nature’s creatures do. +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength
They gain a +2 bonus on survival, balance and listen checks.
Speed 40 ft, Darkvision 60’ (I think foox’s can see in the dark, but if not replace with low light vision.)
Scent: The Foxkin possess the scent extraordinary ability.
Automatic Languages: Common and Canine (foxes are closer to canines then cats). Bonus Languages: (Any others that would fit campaign wise).
Favored Class: Rogue
LA: Tempting to say +0… After all, the others have all the abilities as above with slightly different ability adjustments and what not, and ths has no extra special while the tigerfolk have pounce and the wolf folk have ancestral hatred along with feats… Will try another version going for +1 LA below:
Foxkin #2
Foxkin possess the cunning and survial of the fox, and are highly dextrous. +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence,
They gain a +2 bonus on survival, and balance checks.
Speed 40 ft, Darkvision 60’ (I think foox’s can see in the dark, but if not replace with low light vision.)
Scent: The Foxkin possess the scent extraordinary ability.
Feats: The Foxkin gain improved scent1 and uncanny scent1 as bonus feats
Automatic Languages: Common and Canine (foxes are closer to canines then cats). Bonus Languages: (Any others that would fit campaign wise).
Favored Class: Rogue
1Savage species
Level Adjustment: +1 (Couple of feats dealing with scent, and removed strength penalty along with bonus to listen checks.)

There, I hope that helps but it may not, but aiming for low level adjustments and what not this came to mind.

aimlessPolymath
2017-04-24, 01:46 PM
Azurin:
Not fully sure what you meant mechanically, so I'm giving two options.

The ability to shape a soulmeld when you couldn't already is simple to value- a specific soulmeld is precisely one feat. It would be perfectly fair to trade in their normal feat for Shape Soulmeld. This would be LA +0.

The ability to shape any soulmeld from a given class is a bit more- I'm inclined to force selection of one class for options, give +1 meldshaper level for that class, and give LA +1 and +2 Con on top of normal azurin traits, if you go that route- roughly equivalent to literally having a level in that class. (perhaps the class you get access to is determined by alignment?) (also, if you have levels in the class, the race doesn't give you an extra soulmeld shaped at once, because that would be pretty damn good)

ngilop
2017-04-24, 03:06 PM
Just gonna pop my head in and say

If you are going to make the races stronger than normal.. But make it so that each are balanced.

Why do you need to have a level adjustment in the first place?

LA is only in effect to 'balance' other races out with the ones in the PHB, if those races are replaced with other more powerful races and those ones are balanced amongst each other then the need to make a numerical 'balancing leverage point' is not needed.

Just give take the elves from the PHB slap on a a stat bump so now it is +4 Dex -2Con and +2 Int then give them some other goodes (take some stuff from the elven racial paragon class) and POW now your elves are a bit stronger.