PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Princes of the Apocalyps: Feathergale Spire *contains spoilers!*

Waazraath
2017-04-17, 08:29 AM
Just curious: are there any dm's or players who have already finished the encounter at Feathergale Spire? And how did the party tackled it?

By the book, there are several ways it can go:
- unfriendly entry, no information given on how such a fight goes (probably very hard for the party, and attackers that come in waves after the alarm is sounded; at least that's what I assume)
- friendly entry, party gets information that they are actually the guests of an evil cult, and then they can do something (what? no information given; as a player I'd probably try the nightly surprise attack; against attackers without armor and the party at full resources, I can see them succeeding.)
- friendly entry, and party will be captured (if the cult deceides to ambush the party, they don't have a chance (at night, without armor, against the entire keep); then the deus ex machina of the aarakockra can help them (but again, no information is given on how that plays out)

Waazraath
2017-04-18, 02:36 PM
Really? Nobody? :smalleek:

Theoboldi
2017-04-18, 02:47 PM
Well, I personally am also running the campaign right now, though I also haven't gotten to Feathergale Spire yet. I do think that it is one of the weakest parts of the adventure, since there is very little direction given on what exactly is supposed to or even could go down there.

I run a somewhat modified version of the adventure, and have connected several of my players' backstories into the events of the valley. As such, Savra in my adventure is actually an allied nobleman who has disappeared after being the first person to investigate the cult activity in the hills. He was also supposed to be the missing love interest of one of my players, but that person has sadly left my game in the meantime.

Right now, the idea is to have the characters be welcomed as guests by Savra, and to eventually capture them for the cult sacrifice after they've done the manticore hunt. One of my players is actually playing an aarakocra, and is from the same tribe that lives in the Sighing Valley. So when they notice one of their kinsmen about to be sacrificed, they'll swoop in to free them, hand them some weapons, and then I'll have a combat against Thurl and a couple of his knights amidst a larger battle of knights against aarakocras in the background.

I'll probably also make a few random rolls to see whether the larger battle spills over into the combat the PCs are having. Just to make things interesting.

Waazraath
2017-04-18, 03:00 PM
Well, I personally am also running the campaign right now, though I also haven't gotten to Feathergale Spire yet. I do think that it is one of the weakest parts of the adventure, since there is very little direction given on what exactly is supposed to or even could go down there.

I run a somewhat modified version of the adventure, and have connected several of my players' backstories into the events of the valley. As such, Savra in my adventure is actually an allied nobleman who has disappeared after being the first person to investigate the cult activity in the hills. He was also supposed to be the missing love interest of one of my players, but that person has sadly left my game in the meantime.

Right now, the idea is to have the characters be welcomed as guests by Savra, and to eventually capture them for the cult sacrifice after they've done the manticore hunt. One of my players is actually playing an aarakocra, and is from the same tribe that lives in the Sighing Valley. So when they notice one of their kinsmen about to be sacrificed, they'll swoop in to free them, hand them some weapons, and then I'll have a combat against Thurl and a couple of his knights amidst a larger battle of knights against aarakocras in the background.

I'll probably also make a few random rolls to see whether the larger battle spills over into the combat the PCs are having. Just to make things interesting.

Interesting idea, thnx!

Leith
2017-04-18, 03:36 PM
My party ended up running through it at around level 7. We tricked them into letting us in and killed them to a man. Easy.
We went through the whole campaign capping out at level 10. The DM and I both agreed it was poorly designed. From what he told me afterwards it doesn't give good direction to the DM when the party gets creative.

Waazraath
2017-04-18, 03:47 PM
My party ended up running through it at around level 7. We tricked them into letting us in and killed them to a man. Easy.
We went through the whole campaign capping out at level 10. The DM and I both agreed it was poorly designed. From what he told me afterwards it doesn't give good direction to the DM when the party gets creative.

Guess I'll have to improvise when they get creative :)

Can you tell me: how big was your party? Level 7 is quite high, btw, running it by the book they can end up there being level 3 or 4. I could level them of course the session before entering.

Level2intern
2017-04-18, 08:37 PM
My party played through it around level 3. We have 4 PCs in the party: cleric, pally, lock, and a rogue/ranger.

It was the first fort we encountered and served as a good intro to the cults. The DM did a good job of fleshing out the cultist personalities and trying to convince us there was some kind of misunderstanding.

We had a friendly entry and were invited on a manitcor hunt with them. We suspected something was off and expected an ambush. When it happened we went full murderhobo on them.

We are currently enjoying the spire as our base of operations as we begin our assault on the main temple. Currently level 6.

Corlindale
2017-04-19, 12:07 AM
My PCs were invited in, joined the hunting party, had a blast and a great party afterwards and left again the next morning, never suspecting the knights of anything. . .

Much, much later - when they found out from others what really happened there - they snuck in to get the dirt on them and made an epic escape on stolen flying mounts.

EvilAnagram
2017-04-19, 08:13 AM
My PCs were invited in, joined the hunting party, had a blast and a great party afterwards and left again the next morning, never suspecting the knights of anything. . .

Much, much later - when they found out from others what really happened there - they snuck in to get the dirt on them and made an epic escape on stolen flying mounts.

That's similar to how our group went, except we came in like old friends and sprang an ambush.