PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Revamped basic feats

rferries
2017-04-17, 09:53 AM
EDIT: I'll use this thread to collect the improved versions of feats I homebrew.

Ability-score enhancers (for now just the two "God-stat" scores, helpful for any class). Now they're more useful throughout your adventuring career, rather than at just level 1. I'm debating making them give a scaling bonus as well, similar to an innate enhancement-bonus item. Yes they're better than the epic feats but who in their right mind would blow an epic feat on one of those? :D

Dodge [General]
Benefit
You gain +2 Dexterity.
Special
A fighter may select Dodge as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Toughness [General]
Benefit
You gain +2 Constitution.
Special
A fighter may select Toughness as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Improved versions of the vanilla save-boosting feats, to help out multiclass characters especially. They have the same net effect as the originals for characters with good saving throws, but are much improved for the characters who actually need them. Note using these for monsters may substantially alter their difficulty due to monster HD inflation.

Great Fortitude [General]
Benefit

Your base Fortitude saving throw increases to one-half your character level +2. You get an additional +2 bonus on all Fortitude saving throws.

Special
A fighter may select Great Fortitude as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Iron Will [General]
Benefit

Your base Will saving throw increases to one-half your character level +2. You get an additional +2 bonus on all Will saving throws.

Special
A fighter may select Iron Will as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Lightning Reflexes [General]
Benefit

Your base Reflex saving throw increases to one-half your character level +2. You get an additional +2 bonus on all Reflex saving throws.

Special
A fighter may select Lightning Reflexes as one of his fighter bonus feats.

AOKost
2017-04-17, 12:36 PM
Love this variant! Offering characters the opportunity to improve their saves in such a drastic way should have been incorporated years ago!

rferries
2017-04-17, 02:01 PM
Love this variant! Offering characters the opportunity to improve their saves in such a drastic way should have been incorporated years ago!

Thanks! A feat is a big investment, so I've always felt it should noticeably alter your build (within reason of course).

Deepbluediver
2017-04-17, 02:39 PM
Personally I kind of wish we could do away with passive feats, or at least enhance them some how. People take them because the "always on" stuff is at least useful, whereas a lot of active feats where way to weak and situational, but they're just so boring IMO.

What about something like...well have you ever heard of the 5th edition mechanic "advantage"? What if you could pick 1 save per day (or once per day per 4 levels or whatever) and gain advantage on it, in addition to the passive bonus? That way it maintains it's usefulness but also can get players more involved.

rferries
2017-04-29, 05:09 PM
Personally I kind of wish we could do away with passive feats, or at least enhance them some how. People take them because the "always on" stuff is at least useful, whereas a lot of active feats where way to weak and situational, but they're just so boring IMO.

What about something like...well have you ever heard of the 5th edition mechanic "advantage"? What if you could pick 1 save per day (or once per day per 4 levels or whatever) and gain advantage on it, in addition to the passive bonus? That way it maintains it's usefulness but also can get players more involved.

Sorry for the delay! I'm definitely more in favour of static bonuses myself but your idea is neat too. Maybe "once per day gain a +X bonus" or somesuch on a save.

Mystic Muse
2017-04-29, 05:48 PM
Honestly, for how precious feats are, I think it should almost be more like 5e's legendary resistance, where you can choose to succeed on any save you fail a certain number of times per day. In the case of say, an ancient blue dragon, they can choose to succeed on a save they failed 3 times per day.

So, something like

"Great Fortitude: Your base fortitude saving throw increases to half your character level +4. Additionally, once a day you may choose to succeed on any fortitude save you would otherwise fail."

(Might be a little over the top obviously, just going with what has previously been posted.)

rferries
2017-04-29, 07:42 PM
Honestly, for how precious feats are, I think it should almost be more like 5e's legendary resistance, where you can choose to succeed on any save you fail a certain number of times per day. In the case of say, an ancient blue dragon, they can choose to succeed on a save they failed 3 times per day.

So, something like

"Great Fortitude: Your base fortitude saving throw increases to half your character level +4. Additionally, once a day you may choose to succeed on any fortitude save you would otherwise fail."

(Might be a little over the top obviously, just going with what has previously been posted.)

That's probably a little too powerful but it just plain FEELS right... overcoming the attack in your hour of need through sheer force of will.

Mystic Muse
2017-04-29, 08:08 PM
That's probably a little too powerful but it just plain FEELS right... overcoming the attack in your hour of need through sheer force of will.

Honestly, looking it over again, it really isn't.

It gives you one good save +2, and you can only use it against an effect that targets the save, not any save.

Imagine that you only get 6 feats. Is this even good enough you would spend one of your 6 feats on?

rferries
2017-04-29, 08:41 PM
Honestly, looking it over again, it really isn't.

It gives you one good save +2, and you can only use it against an effect that targets the save, not any save.

Imagine that you only get 6 feats. Is this even good enough you would spend one of your 6 feats on?

I'm really just playing devil's advocate (I agree that feats should be radically more powerful than they often are - Alertness, anyone? :D), in another game I might say such a feat would be unfair to your opponent but in PvE it's probably fine.

Jane_Smith
2017-05-01, 01:35 AM
I absolutely love this kinda feat: I found this online a few months ago,

https://sites.google.com/site/triomegazero/kirthfinder

While I do not agree with a lot of his homebrew (he added a 4th save, etc), you and him both have the same idea on the 3 save feats. Basically Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes made your save good progression regardless of class levels like what you got here. But he also made Improved Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes that give +2 to that save and a 1/day reroll on a failed save of that type. The "Improved" Versions treat you as having the original versions if you have a good save progression of that save already. So a rogue can just grab Improved Lightning Reflexes for +2 reflex save and 1/day reroll. But a fighter needs both.

rferries
2017-05-01, 01:55 PM
I absolutely love this kinda feat: I found this online a few months ago,

https://sites.google.com/site/triomegazero/kirthfinder

While I do not agree with a lot of his homebrew (he added a 4th save, etc), you and him both have the same idea on the 3 save feats. Basically Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes made your save good progression regardless of class levels like what you got here. But he also made Improved Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes that give +2 to that save and a 1/day reroll on a failed save of that type. The "Improved" Versions treat you as having the original versions if you have a good save progression of that save already. So a rogue can just grab Improved Lightning Reflexes for +2 reflex save and 1/day reroll. But a fighter needs both.

Aha, the best of both worlds!

rferries
2017-05-04, 11:33 PM
Edited to add Dodge and Toughness (saw the resurrected Toughness thread and inspiration struck!).