PDA

View Full Version : Keeping books in good shape

Sir Pippin Boyd
2017-04-20, 03:50 AM
I recently bought a 5e player's handbook, dmg, monster manual, and volo's guide.

As I did so, I couldn't help but look at the condition of my 3.5 books last I laid eyes on them and wonder how I can spare them the same fate. Beyond the totally obvious stuff like not letting players eat with their hands and touch my stuff, are there any good practices for keeping books in good shape so they'll last longer?

hymer
2017-04-20, 04:11 AM
I recently bought a 5e player's handbook, dmg, monster manual, and volo's guide.

As I did so, I couldn't help but look at the condition of my 3.5 books last I laid eyes on them and wonder how I can spare them the same fate. Beyond the totally obvious stuff like not letting players eat with their hands and touch my stuff, are there any good practices for keeping books in good shape so they'll last longer?

Well, the PHB and the MM was your mistake. The only thing you can do to keep those in working order is to not use them at all. Store them pressed and at moderate temperatures in dry circumstances. Then they'll last a while. Just don't use them.
To be fair, the newer prints probably have better binding, but that's not exactly saying much.

iceman10058
2017-04-20, 05:36 AM
Never really had an issue, just keep away from *insert obvious here* and store on a bookshelf.

Berenger
2017-04-20, 07:08 AM
If you have a problem with damage on the corners of the cover (or have an unholy desire of drawing blood whenever you hit a player with a rulebook), I can recommend metal book corners. They are quite cheap and can be applied without any special skill and with no tools beside pliers.

https://abload.de/img/bcaju9t.jpg