PDA

View Full Version : Sylph Monster Class

BobTheDog
2007-07-30, 12:43 PM
I'm about to start DM'ing a campaign, and one of the players has asked to play a sylph character, so I took a look at Savage Species and designed a monster class for her. I'm posting it here so you guys can take a look and (i guess) provide me some feedback. Check it out:

{table]Level|HD|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Skill|CR|Special
1|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2|8+int*4|1|feat, spells, wild empathy
2|1d8|+1|+2|+2|+2||1|+2 Int, summon elemental (small)
3|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3|8+int|2|+2 Wis, improved invisibility 1/day
4|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3||3|fly (60 ft), +2 Cha, spell resistance
5|2d8|+2|+3|+3|+3||3|improved invisibility 3/day, summon elemental (medium)
6|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3|8+int|4|feat, +2 Wis
7|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3||4|fly (90 ft), improved invisibility at will
8|3d8|+3|+3|+3|+3||5|+2 Cha, summon elemental (large)[/table]

Racial Traits

Starting Ability Score Adjustments: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha.

Small: As a Small creature, a sylph gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

Speed: Sylph land speed is 30 feet, with a fly speed of 30 feet (good maneuverability).

Darkvision: Sylphs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Outsider traits: Sylphs can't be raised as a normal creature, and need a limited wish, wish, miracle or true resurrection spell to be raised. Sylphs don't need to eat or sleep, but breathe normally.

Automatic Languages: Auran and Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Elven, Halfling, Infernal, Sylvan.

Favored Class: Sylph. The best multiclassing choice for a sylph is sorcerer, which improves her ability to cast spells.

Class Skills
The sylph's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the sylph monster class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sylphs are proficient with all simple and martial weapons but not with armor or shields.

Feats: A sylph receives one feat at 1st level and another at 6th level. After 8th level she gains feats normally according to her character level.

Spells: A sylph casts arcane spells as a sorcerer. At every monster class level, except 7th, her spellcasting abilities increase in power as if she had gained a level in the sorcerer class. If the character takes additional levels of sorcerer, these levels stack with the sylph’s base spellcasting ability for spells known, spells per day, and other effects dependent on caster level. A sylph character likewise uses the sum of her racial spellcasting levels and class levels to determine the abilities of her familiar.

Wild Empathy (Ex): A sylph can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The sylph rolls 1d20 and adds her sylph hit die and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.
To use wild empathy, the sylph and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.
A sylph can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a –4 penalty on the check.

Summon Elemental (Sp): Starting at 2nd level, once per day, a sylph can use summon monster III to summon a Small elemental. At 5th level, this is replaced by summon monster V to summon a Medium elemental. At 8th level, this is replaced by summon monster VI to summon a Large elemental.

Improved Invisibility (Sp): Starting at 3rd level, a sylph can use improved invisibility (self only), as the spell, once per day. At 5th level, she can use this ability three times per day. At 7th level, she can use this ability at will.

Spell Resistance (Su): Starting at 4th level, a sylph has spell resistance equal to 11 + total HD (including class levels).

So, comments?

TheLogman
2007-07-30, 12:55 PM
Table please?

It goes like this:

{table}

Then, once it is over, you go

{/table}

Just replace the { with [.

Plus, add these: | in between columns, and just push enter to create a new row.

Edit: Also, although I am not quite aware of how monster classes work, would this allow someone to get insane stat boosts, near-sorcerer progression, AND special abilities for no LA? Like, can I take these 8 levels, and then take sorcerer levels afterward, or even skip 8th level of Sylph, and get full sorcerer progression, the stats, and the special abilities?

BobTheDog
2007-07-31, 01:47 AM
Table added.

Also, here is how monster classes go:

You take a monster's HD, add it's LA, and make a class progression that results in the effectively the same monster as if you started at the monster's final level. Also, you can't stop the monster class progression before the end (take, say, three levels of sylph (for two outsider HD) then switch to another class.

As for the sylph's advantages and drawbacks:

PRO
- spells as a sorcerer one level lower (Caster lvl 7th at ECL 8)
- fly speed
- improved invisibility at will
- massive ability boosts
- outsider type (immune to hold person etc.)

CON
- low HD
- spellcraft a cross-class skill (makes it hard to get a prestige class)
- vulnerable to earth domain turning (and probably destruction, low HD)
- outsider type (can't be raised)

Edit: oh yea, also note that monster classes don't get a new hit die every level. A sylph, for example, gets new HD at 1st, 3rd, and 6th lvls.

Serania
2007-07-31, 02:09 AM
Looks good to me, nothing to complain about, and it's a perfect monstrous progression for the nymph. You should work for Wizards :) It even looks nice and formal.