PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Bard of Terror (Base Class)

Westhart
2017-04-24, 07:55 AM
The Bard of Terror

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills: The Bard of terror’s skills and the key attribute for each are:

Skill Points at Each Level: 6+Intelligence Modifier

The Bard of Terror

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Bardic Music, bardic knowledge, Inspire fear (shaken)

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Power Slave

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3
Dark knowledge (tactics) 3/day

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Advanced learning

5th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Create Musical Item

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
Dark knowledge 4/day

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5
Dark knowledge (puissance)

8th
+6
+2
+6
+6
Advanced learning, Song of death’s touch

9th
+6
+3
+6
+6
Dark knowledge 5/day

10th
+7
+3
+7
+7
Inspire fear (frightened), Dark knowledge (foe)

11th
+8
+3
+7
+7
Cemetary gates

12th
+9
+4
+8
+8
Dark knowledge 6/day, advance learning

13th
+9
+4
+8
+8
Dark knowledge (dread secret)

14th
+10
+4
+9
+9
Nothing Else matters (Energy Drain)

15th
+11
+5
+9
+9
Dark knowledge 7/day

16th
+12
+5
+10
+10
Dark knowledge (foreknowledge)

17th
+12
+5
+10
+10
Nothing Else matters (ability damage)

18th
+13
+6
+11
+11
Dark knowledge 8/day

19th
+14
+6
+11
+11
Nothing else matters (Mind affects)

20th
+15
+6
+12
+12
Inspire fear (cowering), Children of the grave

Weapon and Armor proficiency: Same as bard.
Spells: The bard casts spells drawn from the bard spell list list. UNlike a normal bard he collects spells in a spell book, and prepares his spells each morning (as a wizard). Unlike the normal bard, every spell does not require the use of a somatic components. To learn or cast a spell, a bard must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The bard begins play with a spellbook containing all zero level bard spells and two level one spells of their choice. For each point of charisma bonus the bard has the spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new level the bard gains 2 more spells in her spellbook. Beginning at 13th level they may add spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (because bard does not have past sixth). At any time, a bard of terror can also add spells found on scrolls containing arcane spells to his spellbook, but he must make any rolls and spend the time required (see Adding Spells to a Wizard's Spellbook on page 178 of the Player's Handbook). The bard can learn and thus prepare non-bard (or later non-wizard) arcane spells in this fashion but the two free spells he gains for advancing in class level must be selected from the bard spell list (and later sorcerer/wizard list).
Spells per Day

Level
0th
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

Bardic Knowledge: As the bard ability of the same name.
Bardic music: As the bard ability, except they gain the bardic music effects given below. If a save is mentioned the DC is equal to the bard’s perfomance check. The effects are out to 90’ unless stated in individual description.

Inspire Fear This is the major feature of the bard, and increases as they gain levels. At first level anyone who fails a will save is shaken, frightened at 10th, and cower at 20th level. This lasts as long as the bard concentrates and five rounds after.
Power Slave: All creatures effected by this bardic music effect view the bard with a friendly attitude as long as he does not attack them or do anything else that endangers him, This lasts as long as the bard concentrates+1 minute. Creatures that have been effected by this are aware of it when the duration ends and are usually hostile to the bard.
Song of death’s touch: All creatures within 90’ must make a fort save or become exhausted. This lasts for one hour.
Cemetary Gates: All enemies that fail a will save are affected as if by a slow spell, and take 1d4 damage to an ability score determined randomly each round. This lasts as long as the bard concentrates.

Dark Knowledge: This works as the Archivist ability, except it is gained as indicated on the table. If the bard has this ability from another source they stack.

Advanced Learning At fourth level and every four levels after the bard may add one spell to her sepllbook.

Create Musical Item: For the purposes of creating any item tha has a magical nature (such as a violin that gives +5 bonus on perform checks) The gp cost, xp cost, and crafting time are all reduce by 25%.

Nothing Else Matters: While concentrating on a bardic music affect the bard of terror gains immunity to mind effects, energy drain, and ability damage.

Children of the Grave: Nothing is safe from the music of a 20th level Bard of terror. He may now affect creatures normally immune to mind affects with his bardic music.

NOTES I was aiming for something along the t1/t2 power lines because the party consists of an epic level wizard, cleric/druid type, and an artificer/urpriest/runecaster, please PEACH. It is also my second base class so I am hoping that it will be better then the Mercenary was at first. Any other ability suggestions, etc are welcome.

ngilop
2017-04-24, 11:17 AM
I feel that putting this as a 10-level prestige class with am expected bard entrance would be better suit

The difference between this bard and a core bard with some added feats to deal with undead and such are almost exactly the same, the difference being the nothing else matters ability and dark knowledge. minus the 9th level casting of course

again I would set this as a 10 level bard PrD and mix the mothing else matter ability amongst the levels, as is getting all of those at once is a bit much.

as for children of the grave, instead of making it all mind immune, just apply it to undead. make smore sense to me for the name and all.
edited cuz I r dumb at times and left this glaring thing out

Westhart
2017-04-25, 06:31 AM
I feel that putting this as a 10-level prestige class with am expected bard entrance would be better suit

The difference between this bard and a core bard with some added feats to deal with undead and such are almost exactly the same, the difference being the nothing else matters ability and dark knowledge. minus the 9th level casting of course

again I would set this as a 10 level bard PrD and mix the mothing else matter ability amongst the levels, as is getting all of those at once is a bit much.

as for children of the grave, instead of making it all mind immune, just apply it to undead. make smore sense to me for the name and all.
edited cuz I r dumb at times and left this glaring thing out

It is exposed to be an alternative bard, and the title of some of the abilities are just song references :smallbiggrin:

Darth Ultron
2017-04-25, 06:48 PM
The ''Bard of Terror'' has one fear like ability...and then is just a bard mixed with a little archivist, and then has some really wacky broken capstones. It does not really fit ''terror''.

I'd add a lot more fear type effects....

Westhart
2017-04-26, 07:34 AM
The ''Bard of Terror'' has one fear like ability...and then is just a bard mixed with a little archivist, and then has some really wacky broken capstones. It does not really fit ''terror''.

I'd add a lot more fear type effects....

Like what? The only thing I can think to add is a fear aura, after all they do eventually gain immunity to fear...