PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other PEACH: Exile/Avernum races using Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide

Agent 451
2017-04-26, 03:10 PM
I've been working on a potential campaign idea that would see a party from Eberron encounter either a single individual, or a small group of adventurers from Avernum. The idea here would be that these individuals were either part of a portal or teleportation experiment by the Tower of the Magi that went wrong, or that they were a group captured by the Empire in Avernum, who were being sent to the surface for interrogation, only to enter the Empire's portal during a moment of instability. In either case, something goes wrong, and now this group is trying to get home, or at the very least get a message home to Avernum.

This is my first foray into homebrewing any kind of monster or race, so feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've tried, to the best of my knowledge and abilities, to keep these races as true to the games as possible, while also following the Advanced Race Guide to build them. I did take some liberties to pump the Nepharim up a bit, speed especially may be too much. Some things I'm not too happy with: I don't think that the Nephil should have a +2 Strength, and I don't think the Slith should have a -2 Intelligence, unless we're talking about the savage Slith. I'd say the Vahnatai need some tweaking, such as bringing in some kind of crystal affinity.

Without further ado, here are the races I have so far:

Nephilim (20 points)

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Nephilim gain +2 Str and +2 Dex.
Type: Nephilim are humanoids.
Size: Nephilim are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Nephilim have a base speed of 40 feet.
Languages: Nephilim begin play speaking Common and Nephilim. Nephilim with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, or Undercommon

Defense Racial Traits
Natural Armor: Nephilim have a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Cat's Luck: Once per day, when a Nephil makes a Reflex saving throw, it can roll the saving throw twice and take the better result. It must decide to use this ability before attempting the saving throw.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits
Nimble Faller: Nephilim land on their feet even when they take lethal damage from a fall. Furthermore, they gain a +1 bonus to their CMD against trip attempts.
Nimble Attacks: Nephilim receive Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
Quick Reactions: Nephilim receive Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Bonus Feat: Nephilim receive Point-Blank Shot as a bonus feat.
Skill Bonus: Nephilim have a +1 racial bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

Offense Racial Traits
Natural Weapons: Nephilim have a bite primary natural attack that deals 1d3 damage.
Natural Weapons: Nephilim have two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage. These are primary natural attacks.

Senses Racial Traits
Low-Light Vision: Nephilim can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.

Nepharim (35 Points)

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Nepharim gain +2 Str, +2 Dex, and -2 Cha.
Type: Nepharim are humanoids.
Size: Nepharim are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Nepharim have a base speed of 50 feet.
Languages: Nepharim begin play speaking Common and Nepharim. Nepharim with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, or Undercommon

Defense Racial Traits
Natural Armor: Nepharim have a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Cat's Luck: Once per day, when a Nephar makes a Reflex saving throw, it can roll the saving throw twice and take the better result. It must decide to use this ability before attempting the saving throw.
Cornered Fury: Whenever a Nephar is reduced to half its hit points or fewer and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, it gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.

Nimble Faller: Nepharim land on their feet even when they take lethal damage from a fall. Furthermore, they gain a +1 bonus to their CMD against trip attempts.
Nimble Attacks: Nepharim receive Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
Quick Reactions: Nepharim receive Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Bonus Feat: Nepharim receive Point-Blank Shot as a bonus feat.
Skill Bonus: Nepharim have a +2 racial bonus on Perception, Stealth, and Survival checks.
Silent Hunter: Nepharim reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a -20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait).

Movement Racial Traits
Swift as Shadows: Nepharim reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving at full speed by 5, and reduce the Stealth check penalty for sniping by 10.

Offense Racial Traits
Natural Weapons: Nepharim have a bite primary natural attack that deals 1d4 damage.
Natural Weapons: Nepharim have two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage. These are primary natural attacks.

Senses Racial Traits
Low-Light Vision: Nepharim can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.

Slithzerakai (40 Points)

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Slithzerakai gain +4 Str, +2 Con, and -2 Int.
Type: Slithzerakai are humanoids.
Size: Slithzerakai are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Slithzerakai have a base speed of 30 feet.They also have a swim speed of 30 feet, which also grants them a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.
Languages: Slithzerakai begin play speaking Common and Slithzerakai. Slithzerakai with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, or Goblin

Defense Racial Traits
Energy Resistance: Slithzerakai have fire resistance 5.
Natural Armor: Slithzerakai have a +4 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Cornered Fury: Whenever a Slithzerakai is reduced to half its hit points or fewer and has no conscious ally within 30 feet, it gains a +2 racial bonus on melee attack rolls and to Armor Class.

Cave Dweller: Slithzerakai have a +1 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks made underground.
Craftsman: Slithzerakai have a +2 racial bonus on all Craft or Profession checks to create objects from metal or stone.

Movement Racial Traits
Darklands Stalker: Slithzerakai can move unhindered through difficult terrain while underground. In addition, a Slithzerakai with a Dexterity score of 13 or higher gains Nimble Moves as a bonus feat.

Offense Racial Traits
Natural Weapons: Slithzerakai have a bite primary natural attack that deals 1d3 damage.
Natural Weapons: Slithzerakai have two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage. These are primary natural attacks.
Slapping Tail: Slithzerakai have a tail they can use to make attacks of opportunity with a reach of 5 feet. The tail is a natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage plus the Slithzerakai's Strength modifier if Small, 1d8 points of damage plus the Slithzerakai's Strength modifier if Medium, or 1d10 points of damage plus 1-1/2 times the Slithzerakai's Strength modifier if Large.
Tripping Tail: When a Slithzerakai hits with her slapping tail, she can make a trip attack as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Weapon Familiarity: Slithzerakai are proficient with Slith spears

Senses Racial Traits
Darkvision: Slithzerakai can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Scent: Members of this race gain the scent ability.

Weakness Racial Traits
Elemental Vulnerability: Slithzerakai have vulnerability to cold.
Light Sensitivity: A Slithzerakai is dazzled as long as she remains in an area of bright light.

Other Racial Traits
Hold Breath: Slithzerakai can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before risking drowning or suffocating.

Edit #1

Vahnatai (56 Points)

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Vahnatai gain +4 Dex, -2 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis, and +2 Cha.
Type: Vahnatai are humanoids.
Size: Vahnatai are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Vahnatai have a base speed of 40 feet.
Languages: Vahnatai begin play speaking Vahnatai. Vahnatai with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Common, Goblin, or Undercommon

Defense Racial Traits
Natural Armor: Vahnatai have a +1 natural armor bonus to their Armor Class.
Bond to the Land: Vahnatai have a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in a specific terrain type selected from the ranger's list of favored terrains. This choice is made at character creation, and cannot be changed.
Spell Resistance: Vahnatai gain spell resistance equal to 6 + their character level.
Resistant: Vahnatai have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects and poison.
Defensive Training: Vahnatai have a +2 dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Cave Dweller: Vahnatai have a +1 bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival checks made underground.
Quick Reactions: Vahnatai receive Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Bonus Feat: Vahnatai select one extra feat at 1st level.
Silent Hunter: Vahnatai reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a -20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait).
Sneaky: Vahnatai have a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Bonus Feat: Vahnatai receive Magical Aptitude as a bonus feat.
Underground Sneak: Vahnatai have a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy), Perception, and Stealth checks. The bonus on Stealth checks increases to a +4 bonus while underground.

Magical Racial Traits
Arcane Focus: Vahnatai have a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast arcane spells defensively.

Movement Racial Traits
Darklands Stalker: Vahnatai can move unhindered through difficult terrain while underground. In addition, a Vahnatai with a Dexterity score of 13 or higher gains Nimble Moves as a bonus feat.
Fleet-Footed: Vahnatai receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
Swift as Shadows: Vahnatai reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving at full speed by 5, and reduce the Stealth check penalty for sniping by 10.

Offense Racial Traits
Weapon Familiarity: Vahnatai are proficient with shurikens and treat any weapon with the word "Vahnatai" in its name (such as Vahnatai waveblades or Vahnatai razordisks) as martial weapons.

Senses Racial Traits
Minesight: Vahnatai have darkvision 90 feet; however, they are automatically dazzled in bright light and take a -2 penalty on saving throws against effects with the light descriptor.

aimlessPolymath
2017-04-26, 09:03 PM
Those are some absurd point totals, so much so that they some of these races would have a level adjustment in 3.5. If you want to bring them into a reasonable level of balance, I'd suggest making some traits alternate options for others (i.e. Nephilim can get Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, or Point-Blank Shot).

To put this into context, most races have a point total in the 11-14 range. The Slithwhatever have 40 points, including extremely high physical stats, absurd AC, and a tail attack which begs for a trip build abusing it. I would rather have a Slith Fighter 3 than a human Fighter 4, to put this into context.

There's a table explaining how this works (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedRaceGuide/raceBuilder.html#challenging-advanced-and-monstrous-races), fortunately, but be aware that these races are way, way stronger than "normal" ones. I understand that Avernum handles this via an XP penalty, but that isn't something that happens in standard D&D (outside level adjustment rules in 3.x).

Agent 451
2017-04-27, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the input!

Yes, they are quite high, as I said I was going for them being as true to the game as I could make them. They'd be used in a 3.P game, so level adjustments and buy-off would be available. That said, I do like the idea of making some of the traits alternate options, and dropping the Slith AC. Some of their traits could easily be made into alternative options as well. The tail attack could be removed entirely, since I'm planning on making a Slith boss variant that could use it.

For the most part, these would be pregen characters that would appear once the players are above level 5. They'd be used by infrequently playing players, or as DMPCs. The Vahnatai would be strictly NPC entities.

Cieyrin
2017-09-16, 03:14 PM
Hmm, this might be necroing but I guess I'll risk it.

Looking at your races, I feel like you're grabbing too much stuff to pad out RP totals. For one, everyone doesn't need all the bonus feats you're granting them. It's just shiny bloat.

For Nephilim, going by my recall of the games, they didn't have the extra natural attacks or natural armor. Having thought about how Nephils and Nephars are generally treated, they're like 3.P's Gnolls and Flinds in terms of difference of power. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon figuring out what that difference was via the Race Builder and it's about a 20 point difference. If you go with the normal Catfolk for Nephils (pretty safe assumption, since they were also from the surface before being exiled), that's 9 RP, so Nephar would probably be around 29 RP.

For the Sliths, start from the Lizardfolk, which are 9 RP according to what was built in the Race Builder. Though on analysis, it's not actually accurate to the Bestiary version, who have +5 Natural Armor naturally, which tacks on another 10 RP, as well as Hold Breath, which another 1, so they're actually 20 RP if we're true to the Bestiary Lizardfolk. Given the Sliths are native underground dwellers, they should be adjusted up to compensate for being down there, like other underground races do. If you go from the Bestiary Lizardfolk, add your Skill, Movement and Senses Selections, Energy Resistance & Light Sensitivity, you get 32 RP. Still high? Yes, but they should be.

As for the Vahnatai, I'd look at the Munavri (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/race-points-unknown/munavri/), who sound like the Vahnatai to the V. They're about 20 RP, so high but not stupendously so. Their power beyond that is due to that in the games we never see a low level Vahnatai, they're all padded with like 8-12 levels, with the spellcasting and equipment to go with it.

You probably have made adjustments as it was called for but hopefully you found some of this useful. If you want my calcs and such, I can post it later, as I have them sitting in a Google Doc right now. Them's my 2 coppers, take as you will.