PDA

View Full Version : Water soluble plastic

RAGE KING!
2007-07-31, 07:46 AM
My mother does cross-stich designs on tea towels and stuff. I asked her how she gets the x's so perfect and she showed me this sort of plastic grid thing, that you do the stiches over, then you wash it and the plastic part dissolves. I only just realized that that means they've come out with water soluble plastic. I want to make a watergun out of it, chances are, it'll get some shots in before dissolving and the person it hits will have plastic residue on their clothes afterwards. Sooo, maybe a three way water fight with my opponent hitting my other opponent with said watergun. ... he he he.

Discuss, or come up with new ideas for water soluble plastic.

Totally Guy
2007-07-31, 08:09 AM
An amazing prank bikini.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-31, 08:28 AM
An amazing prank bikini.

I was going to say umbrella, but I think you just won the internet with that suggestion :smallwink:

EDIT: Incidentally, do we have final numbers for the GitP beach party?

Azrael
2007-07-31, 10:35 AM
Well, polymer yes. Plastic ... not really, but that's just splitting hairs that don't need to be split. Anyhow, they've existed for quite some time. You can tell by the fact that they've permeated the oh-so-cutting-edge field of embroidery. :smallwink:

The other possibility is that the use in question is not actually a polymer and might be gelatin or starch based or some such.

Trog
2007-07-31, 10:48 AM
Flushable things of all sorts. Toilet paper...er...toilet plastic. Flushable tampon thingies, you name it. Fwooosh! Gone! :smalltongue:

RAGE KING!
2007-07-31, 11:54 AM
Well, polymer yes. Plastic ... not really, but that's just splitting hairs that don't need to be split. Anyhow, they've existed for quite some time. You can tell by the fact that they've permeated the oh-so-cutting-edge field of embroidery. :smallwink:

The other possibility is that the use in question is not actually a polymer and might be gelatin or starch based or some such.

i realize its not plastic, but its plasticky enough to be called that.

Cyrano
2007-07-31, 11:58 AM
Waterballoons? Automatic weaponry? Toupees?

Quincunx
2007-07-31, 12:02 PM
Embroidery has been high-tech for some time now. You know how you can start a gasoline motor (and whatever it's attached to) and men will congregate on the spot for no other reason than to watch the almighty machine run? Same way with women and high-tech sewing machines which embroider without human intervention. The background hum is less "yup. . .mmhm. . .*grunt*" and more "oh, isn't that clever", but the same awe and reverence for the machine binds them to the spot.

potatocubed
2007-07-31, 05:06 PM
You can get packing peanuts made of something similar - when it gets wet it turns into a gluey substance and is lauded as 'biodegradable packaging'.

Then you have to bring a big split bag of it somewhere in the rain. EURGH. :smalltongue:

Leper_Kahn
2007-07-31, 09:43 PM
Discuss, or come up with new ideas for water soluble plastic.

The WORST drinking cup ever.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-31, 09:48 PM
You can get packing peanuts made of something similar - when it gets wet it turns into a gluey substance and is lauded as 'biodegradable packaging'.

Then you have to bring a big split bag of it somewhere in the rain. EURGH. :smalltongue:

Those are made of corn starch, aren't they? I knew a guy who used to eat them.

BugFix
2007-07-31, 10:28 PM

The technical term for those is "popcorn". That's not a joke, it's what they are: foamed corn starch.