PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lvl 17 Warlock Hexblade ... 3lvl MC dip?

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-05-01, 03:55 PM
One of the guys in my group is going to run a lvl20 one shot next week when the DM cant make the session.
I'll be playing Half-elf Hexblade using a greatsword, with Sentinel and GWM. I'll be standing frontline with a M. Drawf Battlemaster.
With "Forsight" cast at start for adv on all attacks, Hers what my att will be with CHA 20 from ASI's
CHA Stat bonus / Ult.pact w. / Lifedrinker / Curse / GWM / Curse bringer smite
(2d6)8 + 5 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 10 = 37dmg on hit or + (10d8)50dmg = 87dmg
then att again because of "Thirsting Blade"

So with offence pretty squared I am concerned about be a little fragile. Any suggestions on what 3lvl dip would help the most, or should I go full warlock for the capstone spellslot/smite refresh?

I am also open to any suggestions about the offense set up too if you have any ideas. Thanks

Legimus
2017-05-02, 01:42 AM
I've been toying around with a Hexblade for a little bit, and at least on paper I've grown pretty partial to a Fighter 1 / Hexblade 19 build. Taking fighter at level 1 gives you access to Great Weapon Fighting and plate armor. GWF lets you round up your attacks a touch, but it does make a small difference. Going 19 levels into warlock gives you all of your ASIs, so you should have no trouble getting the necessary stats. Honestly, I don't think any level 3 class benefits are worth forgoing an ASI for the Hexblade. I'm working with 20 STR and 20 CHA along with the Great Weapon Mastery feat, and am using Curse Bringer for my weapon. Remember that you only use your CHA bonus for normal attacks with one-handed weapons! Curse Bringer will use STR. Damage breakdown is the following is the same as yours, but I'll add some things for you to consider:
Attack / STR stat bonus / Ultimate Pact Weapon / Lifedrinker / Hexblade Curse / GWM
(2d6) 8 + 5 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 10 = 37
Thirsting Blade gives you a second attack to make your typical output ~74 damage.

But where things get really wacky are criticals. You only have 4 spell slots, so you want to save your smites for when you land a crit, because you can declare that you're smiting your target after you have hit them but before rolling for damage. So on a critical hit:
(4d6) 16 + 5 + 3 +5 + 6 + 10 + (20d8) 90 = 135
GWM also gives you a bonus attack on crits, so that's an extra 37 damage to toss in for a ~172 when you crit.

You won't find crits hard to come by, either. You have a 10% chance against the target of your curse, and advantage from Foresight roughly doubles that. So you attack twice every turn, and with an effective crit chance of ~20% your average DPR across five turns comes out to ~128.

Eldritch Master is a pretty good capstone, but really only worth it if you think you're going to be in any back-to-back fights. Otherwise, you'll likely have enough short rests to replenish your spell slots. But if you're concerned about fragility, being able to wear plate armor will go a long way to keeping you safe on the front lines, especially with Master of Hexes. The damage boost from GWF at high levels isn't that big, so if you think your party will be able to keep you alive I would probably just go full warlock here. Other classes might give you access to a couple of low-level spell slots to fuel your smites with, but they'll be long rest slots and therefore not as suited to your needs.

Hope your session goes well!

skaddix
2017-05-02, 01:57 AM
Yeah for no more then a 3 lvl dip...it really depends on if you want that ASI.

If you do take the Fighter for 1 lvl keep the ASI. I actually take the fighter first at lvl 1. Might as well get con save proficiency and strength is the 4th most common so not a total waste.

Eldritich Master is a sackable without feeling too bad.

If you don't need the ASI....a case could be made for Ranger...the revised version has some nice bonuses for a 2 lvl dip and you still get a fighting style.

If your dead set on giving up 3 lvls...I put 1 into Fighter for the fighting style and heavy armor and 2 into Rogue for the cunning action ie something to do when you don't crit.

PeteNutButter
2017-05-02, 08:07 AM
I'm on board with the fighter at level one crowd, and reiterate that you actually need str and cha for that 2 hander. 3 levels in a pure caster, like say cleric or sorc or bard give you a lot more slots to "smite" with, and some good low level abilities. Having a first level healing word cast on your primary healer can be a life saver.

Also I have to point out that 1d6 is 3.5 on average and 1d8 is 4.5. 2d6 is 7 not 8 and 10d8 is 45 not 50. Sorry to be that guy... I have problems.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-05-02, 09:29 AM
Remember that you only use your CHA bonus for normal attacks with one-handed weapons! Curse Bringer will use STR.

Thanks, you're right i had missed that i can only do that with non two hand weapons. As you showed the build is still possible but a little more MAD then i usually play. At the risk of depending on stacking bonus actions i could add "Hex" for the extra 1d6 in round 2.

If your dead set on giving up 3 lvls...I put 1 into Fighter for the fighting style and heavy armor and 2 into Rogue for the cunning action ie something to do when you don't crit.

Good tip, i hadn't considered dipping into 2 diff classes. Great way to boost martial prowess. On the other hand i was thinking of going 3lvls into Barb for resistance to everything except physic dmg to be a little more tanky.

gabrion
2017-05-02, 10:09 AM
I know you feel comfortable with the offense already, but pactsmite works really well for nova when needed. Have you considered fighter 2 (action surge) for this purpose? 4x attacks all with +10d8 (ie 4x base melee damage + 180) if you spend all your spell slots on it.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-02, 12:30 PM
Also I have to point out that 1d6 is 3.5 on average and 1d8 is 4.5. 2d6 is 7 not 8 and 10d8 is 45 not 50. Sorry to be that guy... I have problems.
Reroll 1 and 2 on damage dice from fighting style. D6 (3.5 + 3.5 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6)/6= 4.166
D8 (4.5 + 4.5 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 +8)/8=5.25

He said round up a touch but he under sold it to not have to do the math lol

Taebyn
2017-05-02, 04:40 PM
If your int is high enough, wizard is pretty amazing as a mc for survivability. Shield, absorb elements on reaction. As well as expeditious retreat or access to misty step. I'm biased toward diviner, but if you change to one hander and happen to have elven blood bladesinger is an option.

joaber
2017-05-02, 04:53 PM
Elvish accuracy feat would be great, increase your crit chance in 50%

PeteNutButter
2017-05-02, 04:57 PM
Reroll 1 and 2 on damage dice from fighting style. D6 (3.5 + 3.5 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6)/6= 4.166
D8 (4.5 + 4.5 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 +8)/8=5.25

He said round up a touch but he under sold it to not have to do the math lol

The initial character is warlock 17/x 3 and has no fighting style nor does he make reference to it.

Per official sage advice the FS would have no affect on the 10d8.

Arcangel4774
2017-05-02, 05:19 PM
The initial character is warlock 17/x 3 and has no fighting style nor does he make reference to it.

Per official sage advice the FS would have no affect on the 10d8.

Ah didn't scroll up far enough and thought you were correcting legimus who did mention it.

But either way I didn't know about the sage advice; my interpretation reads it the same way as criticals i.e. affecting all damage rolls.

Legimus
2017-05-02, 05:28 PM
Thanks, you're right i had missed that i can only do that with non two hand weapons. As you showed the build is still possible but a little more MAD then i usually play. At the risk of depending on stacking bonus actions i could add "Hex" for the extra 1d6 in round 2.

Something to keep in mind is that the limitation is on two-handed weapons, not two-handed attacks. So you if you didn't want to invest as much in STR, you could use a versatile weapon with two hands, or go sword and board. But if you want to be dealing damage on the front lines, I wouldn't recommend it. There are theoretically ways to play the Hexblade without going Pact of the Blade, but if you don't invest in Curse Bringer's smite your damage potential just falls through the floor.

Submortimer
2017-05-03, 12:42 AM
Bear Barbarian is absolutely the way to go here, since the Hexblade curse isn't a spell, and can thus be used while raging. Consider that, while raging, against any opponent you'll have 4 to 5 layers of protection:
- Your AC of around 16
- The 50% miss chance from hexblade's curse
- The 25 bonus HP you got from casting AoA in the first round
- Attackers all have disadvantage against you because you cast Foresight at the start of your day
- Resistance to all damage types while raging.

Not to mention you heal when you kill your marked foe, and you've got the making for a beast of a death machine.

joaber
2017-05-03, 12:25 PM
3 lvl as beast master could be nice too.
GWM, elvish accuracy, heavily armored
Ac 19 (with fighting style), advatage in initiative and first turn, ignore difficult terrain +2 damage agaist humanoids, 3 spellslots for hex (no con save, but you can grab resilient if you want)
And a constrictor snake for free action at will restrainned for the others 16h without foresight (or dispel magic/antimagic field).
At that level your snake will attack with +11, damage for 1d8+11, AC 18 and with 151 HP (4 ASI). Save DC agaist grapple 21 (10+5 str+6 prof) nad your hex help agaist this.
Half elf stats at point buy could be with the feats:
Str 14 (+1 halfE +1 HArmored+2 ASI) = 18
Dex 12 (+1 elvish) = 13
Con 13 (+1 halfE) =14
Int 8
Wis 13
Cha 12 (+2 halfE) = 14
2 point left

With +3 sword and elvish accuracy you probably don't need 18 in srt, 16 would be enought, that free you for another feat.
Even total MAD this can work

Submortimer
2017-05-03, 06:50 PM
With the newly revised Ancestral Guardian Barbarian subclass, I'm convinced that a Hexblade/AG barb is the ultimate single-target class, especially at this level.

Lets run down the list:
Build
- Half Elf (Wood Elf variant: 35 ft. speed
- 16 str, 13 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 8 wis, 20 cha
- Cursebringer, Burning Hex, Relentless Hex, Ultimate Pact Blade, Devil's Sight, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, Agonizing Blast
- 9th level Arcana: Foresight
- GWM, Elven Accuracy
- AC: 13
- GWM Cursebringer: +7 to hit, 2d6+29 per hit, Crit on 19/20

So, The rounds go something like this:

Start of adventuring day: Cast Foresight.
Round 1: Pick out desired victim. Cast Armor of Agathys, Bonus action Curse target. Move to intercept.
Round 2: Get up next to victim if not already there. Rage, Swing twice with Cursebringer with super advantage. Probably hit both times, dealing 2d6+29 damage per hit. Bonus action Burning Hex for 5 damage. Target has disadvantage on attacks against you and anyone that isn't you, and takes 25 cold damage if they hit you.
Round 3: Repeat till target is dead and you eat their soul for 17+5 HP. Mark next victim, Repeat process until the killing floor is empty.

Seriously, it's nuts. The really neat thing here is that your Low AC works in your favor WRT more damage from Armor of Agathys, and you still have multiple layers of defense on top of that:
- Disadvantage from Foresight
- 50% miss chance from Curse
- Resistance to BSP from Barbarian

It's a hell of a build, one I'm gonna have to try at some point.

Ruebin Rybnik
2017-05-04, 08:15 AM
Thank you everybody for the ideas. Here is the build I am going to go with.( with rolled stats)
Half Elf Raging Bladelock (3 Barb, 17 w.lock)
Str 17 (+1 halfE +2 ASI) = 20
Dex 13 (+1 elvish acc) = 14
Con 15 (+1 halfE) =16
Int 9
Wis 12
Cha 16 (+2 halfE) = 18
Cursebringer, Ultimate Pact Blade, Devil's Sight, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, Agonizing Blast, Relentless Hex
9th level Arcana: Foresight
GWM, Elven Accuracy, Sentinel

AC: +3 Half plate 18+dex = 20
Attackers all have disadvantage against you because you cast Foresight at the start of your day
50% miss chance from hexblade's curse
Resistance to all but psych damage while raging.

GWM Cursebringer: +9 to hit, (2d6)7+5 STR+4 CHA+10 GWM+6 PROF+2 RAGE+3 U.PACT= 37 dmg, crit on 19-20
Cast Foresight at beginning of day
1st turn - Bonus action Curse desired victim. Move to target & Att x2 + 1CB = 114 dmg
2nd turn – Bonus action Rage, Att x2 + 1CB = 118 dmg
3rd turn - Att x2 + 1CB = 118 dmg, bonus att for crit or ko + 37 dmg
With possible AoO from Sentinel you do 350-395 dmg in 3 turns putting a serious hurt on your victim, well that is if it isn’t dead at which point heal 21hp, curse new victim, move in and bonus att from GWM.

I chose not to use AoA because you have to give up attacking first turn, and i doubt 25 hp will last 5 hits to make up the dmg. Also it takes slots away from NOVA cursbringer.
Either way I am excited to play this one shot not week.

Citan
2017-05-04, 01:02 PM
One of the guys in my group is going to run a lvl20 one shot next week when the DM cant make the session.
I'll be playing Half-elf Hexblade using a greatsword, with Sentinel and GWM. I'll be standing frontline with a M. Drawf Battlemaster.
With "Forsight" cast at start for adv on all attacks, Hers what my att will be with CHA 20 from ASI's
CHA Stat bonus / Ult.pact w. / Lifedrinker / Curse / GWM / Curse bringer smite
(2d6)8 + 5 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 10 = 37dmg on hit or + (10d8)50dmg = 87dmg
then att again because of "Thirsting Blade"

So with offence pretty squared I am concerned about be a little fragile. Any suggestions on what 3lvl dip would help the most, or should I go full warlock for the capstone spellslot/smite refresh?

I am also open to any suggestions about the offense set up too if you have any ideas. Thanks
Honestly I would suggest you to go full Warlock because it's a good chance to completely test a class power, including the capstone. ;)

If you feel threatened though, the most interesting options depending on your stats would be...
- Devotion Paladin: just cast Bless or Shield of Faith on top of your heavy armor and you are set. Best sustainable option.
- Eldricht Knight: Action Surge which can be used either for offense or defense, and Shield spell. Best "nova" option (Shield with Warlock slots would be a waste, so it means you will use only the Eldircht Knight slots so only 2/long rest).
- Monk: as strange as it may seem, the Patient Defense works without requirement: 3 Dodge as bonus action per short rest may seem little, but it is still something. Too bad everything else is wasted though.
- Battlemaster: Action Surge and Parry manoeuver: worse than Patient Defense in one way(only against one melee attack), better in another (uses reaction instead of bonus action).
- Bear Barbarian: could be fun if you don't care at all about spellcasting... Better do the good choice for the fight though. XD
- Sorcerer: Shield and Blur with a few slots to use per long rest, and ability to convert spells (with a loss though).
- Cleric: many buff spells and potential heavy armor...
- Swashbuckler Rogue: Cunning Action can be great if you are ok with hit&run tactics.

Honestly, I would go (IF I multiclassed, but I would risk staying pure Warlock personnally)
- either Paladin 2 (Bless/Shield of Faith) / caster 1 (Sorcerer for Shield, Bard for Healing Words), and accept to "lose" one turn to buff myself for the toughest fight.
- or go Fighter 2 / Cleric 1 to get to buff myself without losing my turn in the toughest fight.
- or go plain Battlemaster 3 and use Action Surge on a self-buff from Warlock list (Armor of Agathys, or a spell from Hexblade? -doesn't have the UA-).

Don't forget you also have some ASI: if you have one/two left, Tough could be a good one, as well as Mobile (more mobility = less often in danger zone).

Submortimer
2017-05-04, 01:18 PM
Thank you everybody for the ideas. Here is the build I am going to go with.( with rolled stats)
Half Elf Raging Bladelock (3 Barb, 17 w.lock)
Str 17 (+1 halfE +2 ASI) = 20
Dex 13 (+1 elvish acc) = 14
Con 15 (+1 halfE) =16
Int 9
Wis 12
Cha 16 (+2 halfE) = 18
Cursebringer, Ultimate Pact Blade, Devil's Sight, Thirsting Blade, Lifedrinker, Agonizing Blast, Relentless Hex
9th level Arcana: Foresight
GWM, Elven Accuracy, Sentinel

AC: +3 Half plate 18+dex = 20
Attackers all have disadvantage against you because you cast Foresight at the start of your day
50% miss chance from hexblade's curse
Resistance to all but psych damage while raging.

GWM Cursebringer: +9 to hit, (2d6)7+5 STR+4 CHA+10 GWM+6 PROF+2 RAGE+3 U.PACT= 37 dmg, crit on 19-20
Cast Foresight at beginning of day
1st turn - Bonus action Curse desired victim. Move to target & Att x2 + 1CB = 114 dmg
2nd turn – Bonus action Rage, Att x2 + 1CB = 118 dmg
3rd turn - Att x2 + 1CB = 118 dmg, bonus att for crit or ko + 37 dmg
With possible AoO from Sentinel you do 350-395 dmg in 3 turns putting a serious hurt on your victim, well that is if it isn’t dead at which point heal 21hp, curse new victim, move in and bonus att from GWM.

I chose not to use AoA because you have to give up attacking first turn, and i doubt 25 hp will last 5 hits to make up the dmg. Also it takes slots away from NOVA cursbringer.
Either way I am excited to play this one shot not week.

Remember, if you're raging, that 25 HP from AoA effectively turns into 50 Hp. Still, it's probably not really needed. Also, you should distinctly never use Smite unless you get a crit, which should be often since you're rolling three Dice per attack (more or less).