PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Piecemeal armor by Arkhios (PEACH)

Arkhios
2017-05-03, 06:37 AM
I imagine there are plenty of other Piecemeal armor systems already, but here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Owkrvk-)'s my take on them anyway.

Follow the link above to the Homebrewery Document, and please tell me what you think of them. (note, the site works best on Chrome).

I would very much appreciate feedback, if not for anything else then for proof-reading possible inconsistencies I may have overlooked myself.

In addition, I would like to hear suggestions for weights of individual piecemeal parts depending on their material used, such as leather and metal for example. Piecemeal parts are not intended to be sold by armorers, but they should have reasonable weights which may become relevant.

Thanks in advance!

PS. For further context, these are intended for a post-apocalyptic real-world based campaign (hence Titanium = Mithral, Chromium = Adamantine* as the most common special materials).
Special materials are intended to provide means to have armor that are effectively equal to magic armor of up to +3 bonus.
*: Why Chromium = Adamantine? Well, because as the rules are written, DMG says that adamantine armor is reinforced with adamantine. Not made entirely from adamantine. Chromium is used in similar manner. In china, I can't remember in which dynasty however, steel weapons were coated with chromium so that they have remained in perfect shape and strength to these days. Chromium is used even now to coat steel to better withstand physical damage.

Flashy
2017-05-03, 12:13 PM
I've never seen anything like this before and I LOVE it.

My only concern is that with a detail oriented party (and what party isn't detail oriented when it comes to loot?) it might create rather a lot of overhead for the DM? I'd worry about having to sort out the five individual armor pieces for each enemy wearing medium armor.

Arkhios
2017-05-03, 12:18 PM
I've never seen anything like this before and I LOVE it.

My only concern is that with a detail oriented party (and what party isn't detail oriented when it comes to loot?) it might create rather a lot of overhead for the DM? I'd worry about having to sort out the five individual armor pieces for each individual enemy wearing medium armor.

Yeah, I can see it might become a problem, but I'd just let the players sort that out with themselves. :smalltongue:

However, I might make a random table for DM to roll on whenever the PC's slay an enemy wearing armor. Depending on the result, only a certain number of armor parts stay intact for further use in piecemeal armor. If the armor remains fully intact, one of the players could choose to wear the armor as whole.

Not sure if that would fix the problem, but it might be fun (?)

Edit: Also, thank you for your kind words! ^^

Arkhios
2017-05-03, 02:48 PM
Added a table for DM to roll and see how big portion of lootable armor remains intact for further use.

Steampunkette
2017-05-03, 03:07 PM
So let's say I'm wearing studded leather armor and grab plate gauntlets for a +1 AC bonus. Am I now wearing light or heavy armor?

Does the bonus for wearing, say, plate armor bracers and nothing else equal the bonus for wearing a plate cuirass or chestplate, and nothing else?

Arkhios
2017-05-03, 03:10 PM
So let's say I'm wearing studded leather armor and grab plate gauntlets for a +1 AC bonus. Am I now wearing light or heavy armor?

Does the bonus for wearing, say, plate armor bracers and nothing else equal the bonus for wearing a plate cuirass or chestplate, and nothing else?

The system is intentionally abstract so that each piecemeal part added to your existing armor is worth +1 to AC. Meaning that your studded armor would become medium piecemeal armor with AC 13 + dex (max 2), with a minimum strength requirement of 13 and stealth disadvantage.

Likewise, wearing plate armor bracers and nothing else would be light piecemeal armor with AC 11 + dexterity. I know it might feel strange for the bracers to provide as much protection as a cuirass or chestplate, but it's an abstraction.

Although, I did consider adding a note that a piecemeal part covering chest could provide a +2 AC instead of just +1, but I tried to keep the system as simple as possible.

On hindsight, I probably should do that. Now that you mentioned it, it seems to bother me more than it did before.

Changed it.

Arkhios
2017-05-03, 06:02 PM
Made some major changes to the system. I hope it's still simple enough.