PDA

View Full Version : Dm worries

Darke
2007-08-01, 05:28 AM
I am about to start a D&D campaign, I am worried about a few things:

I am worried that some of the players will complain continuously if I get something wrong, or even if I explain to them that the rules are different in this campaign that they might think they know everything that I should be doing etc.

I also do not know what to do with like fudging or something, like telling them that they have done so-much damage and still keeping the informant/victim alive. I have DM'd only once before and I had encouraged rolling the dice in the middle, But I do not see how I can fudge rolls when every dice roll is in the middle.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-01, 05:35 AM
But I do not see how I can fudge rolls when every dice roll is in the middle.

Well, obviously you can't, but just because the players are expected to roll in the middle of the table doesn't mean you can't roll behind the DM screen or whatever else you have. Unless you're willing to accept ruining your good story for the sake of a randomly bad dice roll (and trust me, it will happen at some point) fudging is occasionally very necessary.

As to your first worry, well, it really depends on the players. I think you should make abundantly clear that Rule One applies, and that any meta-discussion or debate about proper rulings in whatever situation should take place after the game session, not during it.

In my opinion, it's better for a DM to arbitrarily make up a circumstance modifier for whatever the players happen to be doing at the time, than to interrupt an action or tension scene by spending ten minutes paging through rulebooks.

If your players are overly rules-savvy, it may help to make up your own monsters rather than taking them from the MM; otherwise some players will start citing stats on them as soon as they appear, which is fine for an orc or two but can ruin the point of some monsters.

its_all_ogre
2007-08-01, 05:37 AM
you should spell out any changes in the rules if there are any.
if you need a creature alive then it stays alive, simple as. always has one more hp than the damage caused.
or let it die and then they'll need to find another way to get the info (speak with dead, note in pocket etc)
complaining players are easy to deal with 'if you're not helping the situation then you are hindering, and you are not helping' is my fave line for these people if they are really annoying (aimed at teens normally)
have fun

Zincorium
2007-08-01, 05:37 AM
One, being the DM takes a bit of spine to be effective. There's nothing wrong with discussion of the rules calls or style of play, but you should at least represent your arguments with a bit of vigor and vim.

Two, if your players understand the nature of the game, the phrase "I'd like to play this way, is it really too much trouble to ask you to try it out?" usually works wonders for me. Then again, I do have the jewish guilt trip training going for me there. In any case, rely on the status of the people in your group as friends (if they weren't your friends before, they should be now) to help convince them to at least try things your way before throwing a fit.

Lastly, be up front with the fact that you like to introduce a bit of uncertainty and mystery to the game by not always presenting the book version, and feel free to roll the dice behind the screen as the DM. Granted, if you roll twenties every roll, the players are going to be a bit miffed, but if you can't be a bit subtle DMing may not be your thing.

Kiero
2007-08-01, 05:55 AM

There's a simple, one-size-fits-all solution to this issue: talk to your players.

I am worried that some of the players will complain continuously if I get something wrong, or even if I explain to them that the rules are different in this campaign that they might think they know everything that I should be doing etc.

So talk to your players, ask them what level of expertise they are expecting from you as GM. Thrash out between you how you will approach rules questions and disputes, what house rules and personal interpretations you're using and so on.

I also do not know what to do with like fudging or something, like telling them that they have done so-much damage and still keeping the informant/victim alive. I have DM'd only once before and I had encouraged rolling the dice in the middle, But I do not see how I can fudge rolls when every dice roll is in the middle.

Talk to your players about how they feel about rolling in the open and fudging. If they're totally opposed to it, don't do it. If they're not bothered, then worry averted.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-01, 06:12 AM
With our group, we would sometimes flick the dice. So, lets say someone rolls a 1 at a bad time...

"No, that little spec of dust got in the way. It should be this." *nudge the die to some other number*

We were a bit more overt about it though then many people are.

At least that's how it applies with rolls in the open. You can always just lie if they're behind the screen.

banjo1985
2007-08-01, 06:26 AM
Fudging dice is part of DMing, roll behind a screen and only do it when it's necessary, or else the players are likely to get annoyed fairly quickly.

If they know what to expect in terms of monsters and interactions then throw them a few curveballs; I never use the MM anymore, I homebrew everything I throw my group up against, as everyone is overfamiliar and sick to death of the standard stuff.

As for it being your second time GMing, I think if you tell your players then they should be adult enough to "go easy" on you until you find your feet.

Kiero
2007-08-01, 06:41 AM
Fudging dice is part of DMing, roll behind a screen and only do it when it's necessary, or else the players are likely to get annoyed fairly quickly.

No, it can be a part of GMing if that's what is understood by everyone in the group. Doing it without anyone's knowledge is Illusionism.

banjo1985
2007-08-01, 06:50 AM
No, it can be a part of GMing if that's what is understood by everyone in the group. Doing it without anyone's knowledge is Illusionism.

Very true, I apologise, I was making an overarching statement based on my gaming group....anyway, as long as it's clear that you want to have the freedom to use poetic licence in certain situations then I don't think any sensible person would have a problem with it!

bosssmiley
2007-08-01, 12:44 PM

First thing's first. Stop worrying. DMing is like driving a car; if you worry hard you'll be too busy second-guessing yourself to show what you can do.

Don't be afraid to admit your rules knowledge is imperfect (heck! Show me a single person who has total recall of all the rules, exceptions and special circumstance modifications in the 600+ pages in the three Core books), and don't be afraid to wing it. Keep the game moving rather than stopping to page-flip.

Don't be afraid to stick to basic and intuitive mechanics until you're comfortable with the more fiddly stuff (tripping, grappling, et blah).

Above all: relax. Your gaming buddies want to be entertained, and will work hard with you to make sure they are.

Fudge when it dramatically appropriate to do so. If it'll make the game cooler for the players, then fudge. If it avoids a dead-end in the game, then fudge.

Think of pulp adventures like "Indiana Jones": mooks might knock out the hero and give him setbacks to overcome (steal the McGuffin, kidnap the girl, dump him on a conveyor belt, book him on a tramp steamer going the wrong way, etc.), but only the villains have permission from the director (ie: you as the DM) to kill the heroes *outright*.

Dying to an unnamed mook or wandering monster sucks and leaves the player feeling a little cheated. Fudge that, they were KO'ed by the last hit, not killed.
Dying in a heroic, last-ditch, all-or-nothing, balls-to-the-wall battle to the death against the uberkewl evil cohort (Boba Fett) or the relentless ancient evil: now that's cool! Don't fudge in those situations. :smallcool:

I never met a player who objected when the GM fudged/refused to fudge in order to make them look cool in front of their friends.

Game on mate. And if in doubt, roll and shout. :smallwink:

BrotherMick
2007-08-01, 01:49 PM
I also do not know what to do with like fudging or something, like telling them that they have done so-much damage and still keeping the informant/victim alive. .

A couple key words. Damage reduction. If the key victim/informant has just a bit of DR from some odd source.Spell, item, class feature . Granted only works on melee damage but still helpful. Esp if you make it DR/ cold iron or something obscure

Darke
2007-08-02, 02:59 AM
Cool, thanks.

I am starting the campaign next week and I need to think of a good villain, major villain and storyline.