PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Class: The Arcanist

Hillsy7
2017-05-05, 02:36 PM
Hey all,

So for a homebrew setting, I went a little crazy and created a whole class. Since then I've tried to rework it to fit the normal D&D rules for general use, and it's gone through a bit of playtesting and so I've made a couple of adjustments to try and rebalance. As such, I'd thought I'd post for further feedback, especially as we're starting to progress levels (wanna catch as much as I can before it collides with the game).

So I present.....the Arcanist (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJL-zqT8l)!!

As a quick background: I have a lot of love for STR & INT based fighters, and deliberately tried to mitigate the urge to pump DEX and use a rapier, or go 2H fighting. Plus, I love tactics. So if you see a clear bent towards that, it's deliberate.

I appreciate the fluff is a little inconsistent with the large D&D mythos, but I'll tweak that further should WotC get in contact looking to formally adopt the class......=0P

Any feedback, or further questions you might have (So I can clarify in the text) will be greatly received.

Cheers!

zeek0
2017-05-05, 03:58 PM
First, I'd like to appreciate your title typo in light of today's date.

Second, nice long work with some good thought out into it! I won't go over it piece by piece, because I see one glaring problem the ought to be fixed so I can judge the rest:

Currently, almost every feature keys off of Channeling. If you are not Channeling, you aren't using arcane marks, and you aren't doing much. You essentially lose most of your class features after you run out.

On a side note, you can make the application of an arcane mark a bonus action. This should make the wording more eloquent while assuaging your TWF animus.

Hillsy7
2017-05-05, 05:16 PM
Hey Zeek0!

Huh - Interesting. Literally no one has picked that up before!.....TBH I keyed a lot of the concept off the Barbarian Class, which obviously relies a lot on Rage - but it does have Recklass Attack which isn't (And I always thought it was for some reason).....hmmm....interesting....

I might have to play around with the maths to see if decoupling Marking from Chanelling causes imbalance compared to it's sister classes (Paladin, monk, barbarian, ranger)

zeek0
2017-05-05, 11:43 PM
Hey Zeek0!

Huh - Interesting. Literally no one has picked that up before!.....TBH I keyed a lot of the concept off the Barbarian Class, which obviously relies a lot on Rage - but it does have Recklass Attack which isn't (And I always thought it was for some reason).....hmmm....interesting....

I might have to play around with the maths to see if decoupling Marking from Chanelling causes imbalance compared to it's sister classes (Paladin, monk, barbarian, ranger)

Yeah, go and take a look! While you're thinkin', I had a few thoughts if you change things up.

- You could simply decouple arcane marks and channelling.
- To me, arcane channelling is the focus of the class. It's the most clever bit. You could, instead, replace channelling with some other melee benefits and move it to a subclass that's more dedicated to the 'ragey' concept.