PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Race: Igni

Ranckorr
2017-05-06, 12:14 AM
He guys, this is my first time posting on this site and I'm looking for some help with making a level adjustment 0 fire elemental kind of race that I made below. I'm just checking if there is any problems with the balancing.

Igni

Description: they are similar to archons but instead of armor, its viciously charred looking flesh. The are hollowed out and filled with fire. There is open scars on their arms and on their backs to vent out smoke.

Race Traits
*Edit*+2 Con -2 Int
Outsider(Native)
Medium size
Immunity to Fire
*Edit*Vulnerability to Cold: Water effects like acid to them but as cold damage
Base Speed: 30ft
+2 racial bonus: Profession: Blacksmithing
*Edit*Blood of Flame: you have a pool of points equal to 3X HD. These points can bee used to use your internal fire in creative and destructive ways. But for every point you use, your HP lowers by 1. Damage is typically low.
*Edit*Thermal Restoration: You eat fire by coming in physical contact with it. The fire restores your HP depending on how long you remain in contact and for how large the fire is. Fire is gradually extinguished by contact to the DM's discretion. Small fire heals usually 4-5 health.
Base Language: Ignan
Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Giant

Darth Ultron
2017-05-06, 06:16 PM
Off hand, I'd say this race is way, way too powerful for level adjustment of zero.

Fire immunity alone is at least a good +1 level bump.

Blood of Flame might be too powerful...depending what it does. If it has an effect more powerful then a first level spell, it's too powerful.

Thermal Restoration also might be too powerful, depending on the mechanics. If any campfire is at at will heal effect, that is way too powerful.

Shark Uppercut
2017-05-06, 11:33 PM
Well, there are +0 LA Lesser Fire Genasi in the Player's Guide to Faerun. But you made the effort to made a race out of scratch, so I'll put in the time to critique that race bit by bit.

In an effort to be more 'official', I'll grab the Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide and start applying race points to abilities. Core races range from 8 to 11 race points. A 'balanced' race for PF might be slightly overpowered for 3.5, but that's not really a problem now. I'll be happy reaching the level of 'balanced for Pathfinder.'

+2 Con -2 Int
Pretty tame. This isn't a direct option in PF, but +2 Str/Dex/Con, +2 Int/Wis/Cha and -2 anything is the PF standard, worth 0 race points. In 3.5 the standard is +2/-2 (I think?)

Outsider(Native)
Hmmm. 3.5 is notorious for making Native Outsiders +1LA, which sucks for Tiefling fanboys like myself. Some get Lesser versions for +0 LA, most don't. PF makes a Native Outsider worth 3 race points, not too bad. The only mechanical benefits are 60ft darkvision.

Medium size and languages
Cool cool.

Immunity to Fire
Rather powerful. Worth 4 race points. RAW, this on its own does not force you to have either the (Fire) subtype or Cold vulnerability.

Permanent Vulnerability to Water: Even through immunity, you would take the vulnerability damage.
Sorry, don't know what that means. If by water you mean Cold damage, that's -2 race points. Also, now you do have the (Fire) subtype. If you mean literal water, that's hard to judge. I would remove the second part. No spell gives 'immunity' to water, and in core there is no 'Energy Immunity' spell, just Resist X and Protection from X. I'd let them take advantage of these spells, for the sake of roleplaying.

+2 racial bonus: Profession: Blacksmithing
Cool. Since it has no combat advantage, probably 1 race point.

Deep Water Vulnerability: you are injured by contact with water. HP rapidly depletes when submerged.
Ok... what water is Deep Water? Submerged how deep? How much damage?
If we assume water is as damaging as acid, a cup of water = flask of Alchemist's acid, d6 damage. Complete submersion = 10d6 acid per turn. That's probably worth -3 to -6 race points, and is pretty extreme in general. No other race has a weakness like this, consider dropping it.

Blood of Flame: you have a pool of points equal to 3X HD. These points can be used to use your internal fire in creative and destructive ways. But for every point you use, your HP lowers by 1. Damage is typically low.
Examples?
This is hard to judge, as PF races usually don't get Spell-Like Abilities that do damage. There is a fairly close match straight out of the book, you get Dancing Lights, Flare, Prestidigitation, and Produce Flame, all 1/day, for 3 race points, using your level for caster level. Casting from hitpoints isn't really done in D&D, I'd advise against it.

Thermal Restoration: You eat fire by coming in physical contact with it. The fire restores your HP depending on how long you remain in contact and for how large the fire is. Fire is gradually extinguished by contact to the DM's discretion. Small fire heals usually 4-5 health.
Well, that's powerful. By spending a few coppers on firewood, you heal half of a 50g Potion of Cure Light Wounds!
PF has options for this, though. One way, you gain Fast Healing 2 when touching a fire. Every day, you can only heal a number of HP equal to your level x2. That's 3 race points. Or just have Fast Healing 1 continuously, no fire required, for 6 race points.

So, what have we got here....
+2 Str/Dex/Con, +2 Int/Wis/Cha, -2 any attribute
Native outsider
Fire immunity, cold vulnerability, (Fire) subtype. Water does damage as acid for them.
Dancing Lights, Flare, Prestidigitation, and Produce Flame 1/day, no HP used to cast.
Gain Fast Healing 2 when touching a fire. Every day, you can only heal a number of HP equal to your level x2.
That's 8 race points, same as Half-Orcs in Pathfinder.
While technically balanced, I do not recommend this, it's wildly swinging between great power (Fire Immunity and Produce Flame) and crippling weakness (Cold vulnerability and melting like the Wicked Witch of the West.)

Remove the 'water does damage like acid'. Balance that by also doing one of these:

Replace Fire immunity with Fire Resistance 5 or 10.
Remove the Spell-Like Abilities.
Remove the fire healing of 2HP x your level a day.

This is a negligible net gain of 0-1 race points.
This IS my recommendation, as now they won't die whenever it rains.

To get from 'balanced for Pathfinder' to 'balanced for 3.5', I have no idea. Maybe chop 1-2 Spell-Like Abilities and one of the +2 Attributes.