PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Marshal Fix - True battlefield inspiration

Zancloufer
2017-05-08, 08:20 PM
Marshal an interesting idea that is okay at lower levels or MASSIVE combat but otherwise a bunch of bad scaling. So I got a fix here.

Highlights:
More Auras! Up to 10 and 7 instead of the 8 and 5. Dual/Multi-Aura and Lingering auras for having upwards of 6 active if you don't mind using swift actions to cycle.
Better scaling and more choices for Greater auras.
Improved skill points and more bonuses to skills.
Leadership! Whats a Marshal without a small army?
Grant Action is now per encounter and can potentially grant a STANDARD action to all allies within 60ft!
Absolute commands to give a few encounter, or game changing, buffs each day.

Anyway I present:

The Marshal

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: The marshal’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Balance(Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb(Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Gather Information(Cha), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession(Wis), Ride (Dex), Search(Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (n/a), Spot (Wis), Survival(Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble(Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) ×4. 6 + Int modifier every level thereafter.
Table: The Marshal

Level
BaB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Minor Auras
Major Auras

Auras, Minor Aura, Silver Tongued

Major Aura +1

Command Stability

Grant Action 1

Major Aura +2

Leadership, Command Perseverance

Lingering Minor Aura

Grant Action 2, Major Aura +3

6/1
Command Loyalty

6/1
Lingering Major Aura

7/2
Major Aura +4

8/3
Grant Action 3, Command Success

9/4
Dual Aura

10/5
Major Aura +5

11/6/1
Command Perfection

12/7/2
Grant Action 4

12/7/2
Major Aura +6

13/8/3
Command Survival

14/9/4
Multi-Aura

15/10/5
Grant Action 5, Major Aura +7

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Marshals are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armour (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Auras (Ex): The marshal exerts an effect on allies in his vicinity. He can learn to produce different
effects, or auras, over the course of his career. The marshal may project one minor aura and (starting at 2nd level) one major aura at a time.
Projecting an aura is a swift action. The aura remains in effect until the marshal uses a free action to dismiss it or activates another aura of the same kind (major or minor). A marshal can have an
aura active continually; thus, an aura can be in effect at the start of a combat encounter even before the marshal takes his first turn.
Activating an aura involves haranguing, ordering, directing, encouraging, cajoling, or calming allies. A marshal sizes up the enemy, allies, and the terrain, then gives allies the direction that they can use to do their best.
Unless otherwise noted, a marshal’s aura affects all allies within 60 feet (including himself ) who can hear the marshal. An ally must have an Intelligence score of 3 or higher and be able to understand the marshal’s language to gain the bonus. A marshal’s aura is dismissed if he is dazed, unconscious, stunned, paralysed, or otherwise unable to be heard or understood by his allies.
A marshal begins play knowing one minor aura of his choice. As his marshal level increases, he gains access to new auras, as indicated on Table: The Marshal.
All bonuses granted by a marshal’s auras are circumstance bonuses that do not stack with each other.

Minor Aura(Ex): A minor aura lets allies add the marshal’s Charisma bonus (if any) to certain rolls.
Accurate Strike: Bonus on rolls made to confirm critical hits.
Art of War: Bonus on disarm, trip, bull rush, and sunder attempts.
Demand Fortitude: Bonus on Fortitude saves.
Determined Caster: Bonus on rolls to overcome spell resistance.
Force of Will: Bonus on Will saves.
Master of Opportunity: Bonus to Armour Class against attacks of opportunity.
Master of Tactics: Bonus on damage rolls when flanking.
Motivate Charisma: Bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma based skill checks.
Motivate Constitution: Bonus on Constitution checks and Constitution-based skill checks.
Motivate Dexterity: Bonus on Dexterity checks, Dexterity-based skill checks, and initiative checks.
Motivate Intelligence: Bonus on Intelligence checks and Intelligence- based skill checks.
Motivate Strength: Bonus on Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks.
Motivate Wisdom: Bonus on Wisdom checks and Wisdom-based skill checks.
Over the Top: Bonus on damage rolls when charging.
Watchful Eye: Bonus on Reflex saves.

Silver Tongued (Ex): As a commander of troops the marshal is a capable speaker in all venues. He adds half of his Marshal class level to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive checks. This is an untyped bonus and as such stacks with all other modifiers.

Major Aura (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, a marshal can project a major aura in addition to his minor aura. A major aura lets allies add +1 to certain rolls. This bonus improves by +1 at 5th , 8th , 11th , 14th , 17th , and 20th level.
Determined Troops: The save DCs of allies abilities and spells (except ones from items) increase by the marshal's aura bonus.
Hardy Soldiers: The marshal’s allies gain damage reduction equal to twice the amount of bonus the aura provides. For example, if the marshal is 11th level, everyone affected gains DR 8/–.
Motivate Ardor: Bonus on damage rolls.
Motivate Attack: Bonus on attack rolls.
Motivate Care: Bonus to Armour Class.
Motivate Urgency: Allies' base land speed is increased by a number of feet equal to 5 × the amount of bonus the aura provides. For example, the allies of a 11th level marshal (+4 major aura) add 20 feet to their base land speed.
Resilient Troops: Bonus on all saves.
Resistance Soldiers: Allies' gain DR the basic elements (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic) equal to aura bonus times 2.

Absolute Command (Ex): Starting at 3rd level the Marshal gains the ability to make a number of absolute commands that his troops must follow. He may make a number of commands each day equal to 1 + his Charisma Modifier. These commands may only be made to allies who are under the effect of one them marshal's auras and while a free action the marshal can make at most one command per round.
Command Stability: At 3rd level or higher the marshal can command an ally at negative HP to immediately stabilize.
Command Perseverance: Starting at 6th level the marshal can command an ally that has failed a saving throw to instantly re-roll before the effect has taken hold. If they succeed on the second save the ally acts as if they never failed it in the first place.
Command Loyalty: Marshal's 9th level or higher can force allies to snap out of it. This command causes any ally that is suffering from a Charm, Compulsion or Fear to shurg the ability off. They are no longer ailed by the effect and are immune to said effect for the next 24 hours.
Command Success: At 12th level and higher the marshal can increase the odds of an ally succeeding on any given task. Should an ally fail any d20 roll the marshal can make them instantly re-roll the d20 and take the better of the two rolls. If the second roll succeeds where the previous one didn't assume the first roll never happened.
Command Perfection: Starting at 15th level the marshal demands nothing but the best from his troops. Anytime an ally is going to make a d20 roll the marshal can make that roll the best possible outcome. Assume before rolling that the d20 roll resulted in a 20.
Command Survival: Not even the dead may rest when a marshal in on their case. Starting at 18th level the marshal can command any one ally that has fallen within the last round to instantly spring back to life. Allies that have slain are instantly revived at one HP regardless of what effect cause their death. Even effects that would steal an allies soul or destroy their body seemingly fail at the sheer willpower that is a powerful commander.

Grant Action (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a marshal can direct and motivate his allies to act immediately. Once per encounter, as a standard action, he may grant an extra move action to any or all of his allies within 60 feet (but not to himself ). Each of the affected allies takes this extra move action immediately, acting in their current initiative order. This extra action does not affect the allies’ initiative count; the round continues normally after the marshal’s turn is over. (This may mean, for example, that an ally whose initiative count immediately follows the marshal’s may get an extra move action from the marshal, followed directly by a full round worth of actions on the ally’s turn.)
At 8th level, a marshal gains the ability to grant an extra move action to his allies twice per encounter. The frequency increases to three times per encounter at 12th level, four times per encounter at 16th level, and five times per encounter at 20th level.
Alternately the marshal may spend a move action to grant all his allies swift actions or a full round action to grant his allies a standard action.
A character can take only one extra action per round. (In other words, two marshals can’t use this ability on the same ally in the same round.) If an ally chooses not to take the extra action, it is lost.

Leadership: Marshal's of 6th level or higher gain the benefits of the Leadership feat. However Leadership granted by the marshal class has a few minor benefits. First the Marshal adds 1.5 times his marshal level to his leadership score (IE: A level 6 marshal with 18 charisma would have a score of 13 instead of 10). Second if the marshal's cohort is killed in action with a common foe it does not penalize the marshal's leadership score. Lastly should the marshal ever gain an equivalent to the leadership feat from another class or feat, or is barred from benefiting from the leadership feat any time after reaching 6th level them marshal may gain a bonus feat in place of this or the future ability.
Lingering Aura (Ex): Even after changing focus the benefit from a marshal's aura remains in the minds of his troops. If a 7th level or higher marshal ever changes out his minor aura allies still gain the benefit of it for a number of rounds equal to the marshal's charisma modifier. Note that only the most recent aura to be cancelled out remains.
Starting at 10th level his major auras also linger around for charisma modifier rounds.

Lingering Aura (Ex): Even after changing focus the benefit from a marshal's aura remains in the minds of his troops. If a 7th level or higher marshal ever changes out his minor aura allies still gain the benefit of it for a number of rounds equal to the marshal's charisma modifier. Note that only the most recent aura to be cancelled out remains.
Starting at 10th level his major auras also linger around for charisma modifier rounds.

Dual Aura (Ex): Marshal's of 13th level or higher are capable of projecting multiple aura of the same type. In addition to one minor and major aura the marshal may have a second minor or major aura active at the same time.
At 19th level this improves to allowing the marshal to project two extra auras, allowing up to three minor or major auras or simply two of each.

So questions? Balance concerns? Things that don't make sense?

Roderick_BR
2017-05-16, 12:08 PM
I don't know if Major Aura bonuses need to get up to +7. +5 is usually the max for an incrementing bonus for most effects. And the skill bonuses should be a competence bonus.

Other than that, I think this is very good. More aura options, a bigger skill bonus and for more skills instead of just Skill Focus (Diplomacy), and extra abilities other than just granting an extra action a few times a day (not unlike Bard inspirations).
And Leadership as a bonus feat.
Really can't add anything. This is a good version, unless anyone else can add more ideas.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-18, 02:12 PM
You should make a command that makes an initiator automatically regain their last spent maneuver 1/encounter.

Kamai
2017-05-21, 12:41 PM
I do have a couple questions:
1) Are Auras intended to be able to stack with each other? I'm thinking specifically Watchful Eye/Demand Fortitude/Force of Will with Resilient Troops?
2) Some of this may be from the original Marshal, but there are a couple of minor auras that sound nice, but look like they are heavily underpowered. Motivate Constitution could maybe grant an effect like Endurance or a resistance to non-lethal damage to give it a non-combat scenario that it can shine in like the other stats. I also can't think of a reason why I'd ever use accurate strike. Even if I were in a squad where everyone had 18-20 ranged weapons, I think I'd rather have one of the +save auras. I know there are already a lot of situational +damage auras, but this is probably a very good case for one.
3) On Art of War, is this a bonus on the attack roll to initiate one of these abilities, a bonus on any opposed checks for these maneuvers, or both?

Things that I'd like to see
A way to swap into different sorts of auras/commands, mainly by ACFs. Maybe most Marshals don't need daremetoidareyo's command, but I'm sure there's some that would love ones like:
Focusing Command: Command 1 ally to immediately regain their psionic focus.
Multitasking Command: Command 1 ally to keep concentration on their spell or power as a swift action instead of a standard. Their next turn, that ally can cast a spell no longer than 1 standard action without breaking concentration. You can only have an ally do this once on any spell that requires concentration.
Adapting Command: Command 1 ally to change stances as a free action.

Then, of course, auras for different squads:
Sniper's knack: For ranged weapons, add 10*bonus feet to the weapon's range increment (5*bonus for thrown weapons). For spells, add the bonus to the caster level only to determine range.
Unbreakable Arcana: Add the bonus to caster level when a spell is subject to Dispel Magic or other opposed caster level check to remove. This applies as long as the caster (but not necessarily the spell) is within the aura.
Quick Parry: When fighting defensively or using Combat Expertise, add this aura's bonus as a dodge bonus to AC.
Healer's Mantra: When a Conjuration (Healing) spell is cast on an allied living creature, or a damaging Necromancy spell is cast on an allied undead, add this aura's bonus to damage healed. If a spell heals over multiple rounds (like Lesser Vigor), a spell can only gain this benefit when the ally is first affected by it.

Zancloufer
2017-05-22, 10:15 AM
I don't know if Major Aura bonuses need to get up to +7. +5 is usually the max for an incrementing bonus for most effects. And the skill bonuses should be a competence bonus.

While +7 might be a bit high it's mostly to have consistent scaling in the lower levels. Yes it could cap lower, but that is a bit odd and would lead to either under-powered aura early on or a really weird progression. Plus auras are the major draw for a Martial (like half the class really) so I don't think it hurts that they are better at AoE mundane buffs than other classes.

Not sure about making the skill bonuses competence. Would make it not stack with +stat items which would make the ability rather bleh in the long run. Maybe explictly make it count as skill focus instead but with a scaling benefit? At least that way you couldn't super stack it.

You should make a command that makes an initiator automatically regain their last spent maneuver 1/encounter.

Hmm. Bit weak, but looking at the other idea below. . .

I do have a couple questions:
1) Are Auras intended to be able to stack with each other? I'm thinking specifically Watchful Eye/Demand Fortitude/Force of Will with Resilient Troops?

I think they where all suppose to be Moral bonuses. Should go put that in.
EDIT: Last mini paragraph under auras states they are all Circumstance Bonuses that DO NOT stack with each other. So if you have two auras (either from the same or different Marshals) applying to the same roll only the largest one applies.

2) Some of this may be from the original Marshal, but there are a couple of minor auras that sound nice, but look like they are heavily underpowered. Motivate Constitution could maybe grant an effect like Endurance or a resistance to non-lethal damage to give it a non-combat scenario that it can shine in like the other stats. I also can't think of a reason why I'd ever use accurate strike. Even if I were in a squad where everyone had 18-20 ranged weapons, I think I'd rather have one of the +save auras. I know there are already a lot of situational +damage auras, but this is probably a very good case for one.

Actually motivate constitution is already essentially the Endurance feat minus one thing but plus one or two others. I think what really makes it under-powered is that there is one constitution skill in the game. Though Diamond Mind initiators and casters making concentration checks probably will love a martial with it.

Accurate strike I find isn't that bad. Especially if you are taking some massive minuses to hit. Honestly I find it more situational than +dmg when charging or flanking. It easily makes secondary attacks as likely to confirm as primary ones.

3) On Art of War, is this a bonus on the attack roll to initiate one of these abilities, a bonus on any opposed checks for these maneuvers, or both?

It would be both. Anytime you are making a check to use/resist one of those manoeuvres.

Things that I'd like to see
A way to swap into different sorts of auras/commands, mainly by ACFs. Maybe most Marshals don't need daremetoidareyo's command, but I'm sure there's some that would love ones like:
Focusing Command: Command 1 ally to immediately regain their psionic focus.
Multitasking Command: Command 1 ally to keep concentration on their spell or power as a swift action instead of a standard. Their next turn, that ally can cast a spell no longer than 1 standard action without breaking concentration. You can only have an ally do this once on any spell that requires concentration.
Adapting Command: Command 1 ally to change stances as a free action.

Hmm. This combined with the other suggestion might make for a second set of "minor" commands. Like every time you take a major one you also have a minor one that can be used x times an encounter as a swift action. Maybe change Adapting Command so it applies to auras as well. Still would need 2-4 more to add so there is a full list. Not sure if that would get too feature heavy though.

Then, of course, auras for different squads:
Sniper's knack: For ranged weapons, add 10*bonus feet to the weapon's range increment (5*bonus for thrown weapons). For spells, add the bonus to the caster level only to determine range.
Unbreakable Arcana: Add the bonus to caster level when a spell is subject to Dispel Magic or other opposed caster level check to remove. This applies as long as the caster (but not necessarily the spell) is within the aura.
Quick Parry: When fighting defensively or using Combat Expertise, add this aura's bonus as a dodge bonus to AC.
Healer's Mantra: When a Conjuration (Healing) spell is cast on an allied living creature, or a damaging Necromancy spell is cast on an allied undead, add this aura's bonus to damage healed. If a spell heals over multiple rounds (like Lesser Vigor), a spell can only gain this benefit when the ally is first affected by it.

Nice additions to the major auras. Though I think Healer's Mantra and Quick Parry could get away with being a minor aura.

Two other things:
1) BaB is wrong. IDK how but whenever I've typed up the Medium BaB recently I've been a little off. I think 4, 8 and 10 are one lower than they should be.

2) Thinking of letting Marshals swap an aura know every odd level. Especially since there are probably a few that are really nice at lower levels but you might want to replace with others later.