PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Suggestions wanted for 10th level spells [3.X/PF]

Aotrs Commander
2017-05-15, 05:31 PM
I have statted out the final boss for my the adventure path I'm adapting, who happens to be high-level transmuter. I'd statted him up a 22nd level character, using the Epic rules from 3.5 (the rules we use, 3.Aotrs, are a hybrid of 3.5 and Pathfinder) and he has four 10th level spell slots (from his one Improved Spell Capacity feat).

Now, as this gentleman is the final boss of the campaign, I thought it might be jolly to give him some nice toys, something a bit better than just "Quickened Disintegrate" or something. Especially since he is a major figure in the lore of Golorion.

I have always found the Epic spell system to be, well... Crap. And the "no spell can be more powerful than Wish" line they said was since Wish is hardly unlimited in power, and a lot of 9th level spells are emphatically not Wish.

Mythic was overkill on top of everything else (and yes, I did cheerfully consider using both!)

So, I would like come up with some suitable scaled spells to put in at 10th level. (The chap in question can't use illusion or enchantment, but if you have a really good suggestion, make it anyway; ther is a small chance this party may roll into a second AP scaled to crazy levels (I was just daft enough to volenteer, where they would probably go 18th to probably mid-20s Epic).)

On the other hand, as the PCs are liable to be "only" 17th level (but eight of them and with a high stat build (base 8 36 points point-for-point, approximating an arrray of 18,16, 14, 14, 12, 10)), so I don't at the same time want to go too overboard with potential instant-wins. But still... PCs with 9th level spells...!

One obvious candiate, to start things off, might be Flesh to Stone, Mass (following the "mass = +4 levels), but that might be a little harsh... But I on't have to use it!

So what the sort of thing we would be looking at is the average to lower end on the 9th spectrum and saled up a bit. But I would welcome any suggestions, since, as I say, I might need it down the line anyway!

Suggestions (even one with just flavour and no mechanics) would be welcome.

At the moment, 3.Aotrs has one homebrew spell nominally slated as Epic (a slightly improved version of a 9th level spell One Thousand Blades, which has a smaller area, does less damage (D6/level) and allows a Reflex half save).)

This might be a candidate for a 10th level spell, perhaps? (ot sure it is one I'd use in this particualr circumstances!) (You woudl, presumably following the damage cap sequence perhaps cap it at 60D6 maximum. (30 dice, but like Disintegrate this is 2D6 dice.)

Ten Thousand Blades
Evocation [Metal]
Level: Epic (Spellcraft DC 61) Sor/Wiz 10?
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: One 30’ cube
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No (objects); SR: No
This deadly spell brings doom to those unfortunate to be caught within it. When cast, the 30’ cube is literally filled with countless thousands of dagger-sized blades, The blades appear from one corner of the cube and vanish as they touch the other, like a three-dimensional window onto an endless rain of knives.
Everything within the area takes 2D6 Epic Slashing and Piercing damage per caster level.
If a target is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell, they are cut into tiny silvers of flesh, along with anything they carried, the local terrain and anything else that manages to be caught within the area of effect.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-15, 05:58 PM
Transmute air to stone?

Transmounterspell
Turn some number of spell levels of spells targetting you into any spell you know

Westhart
2017-05-16, 09:30 AM
Well, in my small bit of free time (besides other homebrewery) I have been working on some of these for a campaign I told my brother I would run, inspired by mystra's ban of high magic (FRCS)
Here is one that is almost finished... not sure I would throw it at the party though :smalltongue:
Bonfire
Evocation (fire)
Level: Sorceror/Wizard ?
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Long (400 ft+40ft/level)
Area: 1 mile radius
Duration: 1 round/level; 1 month/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
This calls elemental fire down from the skies, dealing 1d8/level fire damage to all in the radius. This fire burns so hot that it overcomes normal immunities to fire. Plants or creatures with the water/cold subtype instead take 1d12/level fire damage. All items in the radius must make fortitude saves or be destroyed, metals warp, glass shatters etc. This damage repeats for 1 round per level. A primordial fire still lingers in the area for 1/month per level of the caster, dealing 1d4/level fire damage a round to anyone venturing in it, although this fire does not overcome immunities.
Material Components: A small primordial flame from a the elemental plane of fire.

Needed something to turn a city to a charred wasteland and incite a war right after peace was negotiated, feel this will do it.

Here is another, basically makes an eclipse and was a lvl 10 for me...

Sank’s Eclipse
Conjuration
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 10?, Cleric 12?, Druid 12?
Components: V, S, AF/DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Duration: 1 hour per caster level
Saving throw: No
Spell resistance: No
This spell was specifically designed to counter the master of the hunt, it creates an eclipse that blocks the moon, negating any bonuses a creature would get from the moon. (Such as a bonus to damage that the master of the hunt would receive. The master of the hunt is found in the 5th monster manual, page 202. In addition creatures with the ability to change form revert to natural form for the duration of the spell, and anything that has a bonus negated takes a -4 morale penalty on all skill checks, saves and attack rolls.
Arcane Focus: A symbol of a full moon, made of adamantine and specially treated to turn it pitch black worth 1,000 gp

noob
2017-05-16, 10:43 AM
Flesh to stone chain is level 9(6 base +3 from chain metamagic) so mass flesh to stone would not be a that much op spell.
You could give him maw of chaos as an level 10 spell(even through it is a level 9 spell is is so good it is almost better than the other attack options which were given by the other playgrounders)

Westhart
2017-05-16, 10:59 AM
You could give him maw of chaos as an level 10 spell(even through it is a level 9 spell is is so good it is almost better than the other attack options which were given by the other playgrounders)

Hmm, maw of chaos is a good spell, although the OP requested 10th level...

flappeercraft
2017-05-17, 05:08 PM
What about a time stop that allows you to target creatures while in its duration?

noob
2017-05-17, 05:27 PM
What about a time stop that allows you to target creatures while in its duration?
Time stop then favor of the martyr then greater Celerity allows that by spending a bunch of low level slots(for the greater celerities) as well as a time stop so it would be balanced compared to lower level spells.(as a rule of thumb if you can do something with a bunch of lower level spells then it will not be more game breaking to do that with a level 10 spell)

sengmeng
2017-05-18, 11:44 AM
Adamant Body
As iron body, but DR 30/epic, +12 enhancement bonus to strength, and fist deals 2d6 lethal damage

Aotrs Commander
2017-05-18, 12:11 PM
Sorry chaps and/or chapesses, I have been reading, just not gotten around to replying!

Flesh to stone chain is level 9(6 base +3 from chain metamagic) so mass flesh to stone would not be a that much op spell.

It's less so much that it's no plausible, it's just that I think that might be a little too harsh on the players, though it's very likely going to be in his spellbook, of nothing else.

Given Timestop is a 9th level spell, I would say an improved version would have to be at least a couple of levels up. Maybe when/if I need to get to 11th level spells...!

Adamant Body
As iron body, but DR 30/epic, +12 enhancement bonus to strength, and fist deals 2d6 lethal damage

Hmm... I think I'd maybe go for on DR/20 and +8 but then have a lower ACP and most pertinently, no arcane spell failure. (I.e. a rather better version of Stoneskin). but I like that one.

Keep the ideas coming!

Jormengand
2017-05-18, 01:03 PM
Some of my communal spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20361052&postcount=4) may provide you with decent ideas. They're in the second half of that post.

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-18, 02:19 PM
Tell us more about the character and two of his interests/biggest losses in life. It'll be easier to pitch a spell that they might want.

Aotrs Commander
2017-05-18, 05:42 PM
Some of my communal spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20361052&postcount=4) may provide you with decent ideas. They're in the second half of that post.

Noted, for future reference, both for this and potential uses down the line. Ta.

Tell us more about the character and two of his interests/biggest losses in life. It'll be easier to pitch a spell that they might want.

The gentleman in question is the Runelord Karzoug the Claimer.

The Runelord of Greed, Karzoug (pronounced kahr-ZOOG), was the ruler of the Thassilonian realm of Shalast during the Age Before Ages.

He was born as a slave in Malistroke, a city in Shalast, which was under the reign of Haphrama. At the age of 27, he left the city after presumably killing his last master. What exactly happend during these years is unknown since Karzoug erased all records about it.

After several hard years of traveling and scholarship, Kazoug became one of Runelord Haphramas new apprentices, eventually managing to kill the Runelord and casting his soul into the void between the planes.

Taking up the Burning Glaive, the Runelord of Greeds symbol of rule, Kazoug became the new Runelord of Greed at the age of 77.

The Runelords' Slumber

The Runelords foresaw the coming of the Starstone and knew it would mean the end of an era. They entombed themselves in hidden monuments, leaving orders to release them later so they can claim their empires once again. Karzoug therefore entombed himself in his realms hidden capital Xin-Shalast. With none left to wake him up, the Runelord slumbered for countless ages.

That happened near as dammit to ten thousand years ago. He recently awakened, and has been using his minions to put symbols on people and start wars so he get take their soul energy and use it to escape the demiplane he is on to the material world (whereupon he will beat seven bales (of sin) of excrement out of everyone and re-establish the Thassilionian empoire in his own image.

Not sure about losses, though I suppose the fall of Thassilon itself probably counts.

Being the Runelord of Greed (of of the seven Runelores, each of a sin), his motivation is broadly that he wants All Of The Things1. (Which may be an oversimplification, but probably not by much...)

1Except, apparently, enchantement and illusion magic, He doesnt want that bit2.

2Dammit, and now I have the image of him as the Cat. Well, that's that BBEG forever scarred...!

noob
2017-05-18, 06:02 PM
How about a mind blank that can not be dispelled?
I quite fit that if you do not like mind control you would probably like a defence against it.(and against scrying)

daremetoidareyo
2017-05-18, 10:13 PM
Ok, so we have a former slave who learned transmutation magic and wraps himself in the concept of Greed. The question we have then is he proving a point by being the paragon of everything that made his formative years terrible, (slavery being an example of maximized greed) to demonstrate to a world that greed is actually bad, thereby demonstrating that values by which the universe operate are a sick joke that he understands

OR is he wrapping himself in the mantle of his oppressor, co-opting greed as the core of his being and becoming the greediest because he accepts that system as part of his worldview?

The first villain would ostentaciously make" transmute air to gold" with an area of effect that extends for hundreds of cubic feet with an instantaneous duration (the gold is real fungible gold). He would use this on the weakest and most hated nation and direct them into becoming financiers of the nations that revile them. I imagine that it has combat uses too. This guy would have a code of sorts about who he enables through greed and could use it to address injustices that erupt from greed. Another Ironic option would be transmute mood, which can duplicate the effects of any enchantment spell 9th level or lower. Good for minionmancy. Thematic and plot relevant.

The second guy wants to transform the world for his pleasure at the expense of those, both evil and good, who don't understand that the strongest's unlimited desire is the very nature of how life and unlife work, once you stop coveting, you die. This guy would hate ascetics and people who could get along with him. So this villain would use transmutation to make covetous materials more scarce. The multiversal currency of worth is souls/undeterred worship. So, Transmute soulpact? You can untraceably transform the exact terms of a Faustian Pact, Dragonpact, Demon thralldom, or other agreement that uses magical or psionic energies to enforce a spiritual contract, including the common expectations of the recently deceased to join their god on their homeplane. With a spell like this, he can develop a protection racket amongst many power players in the outer planes...Keep him happy, and the souls of their congregation, greatest followers, or most powerful marks will continue to flow the way they used to. Make him unhappy, and someone aint getting divine spells of levels higher than 3rd or that pitfiend needs to constantly recite freeform poetry to keep the faustian pact he has with a dracolich who began as a gold dragon.

sengmeng
2017-05-19, 12:56 PM
I had a villain whose lifestyle necessitated going back and forth between being alive and being a lich. He streamlined the process into a pair of 9th+ level spells.

Edit: that same villain had another spell that's more fitting for a greed based villain: he created his own personal pocket dimension which started out empty of all matter. So he made a spell that grabs city sized chunks of land and adds them to his plane.