PDA

View Full Version : Roughdraft with Base Class: Gunslinger

DiscipleofBob
2007-08-01, 04:41 PM
This is one of the classes I'm working on for my homebrew campaign setting, a futuristic, western, Trigun/Firefly type world. I'm having to borrow most of the rules on firearms from d20 Modern, though, so things are getting especially confusing and complicated with the class based off them. Suggestions or comments would be more than welcome.

Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Bonus Feat, Close-Combat

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Quick Draw

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Combat Style

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Trick Shot

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Called Shot

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Combat Style

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Trick Shot

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat, Bullet Dodger

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Combat Style

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Trick Shot

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|One Shot Left

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Bonus Feat, Combat Style

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Trick Shot

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Deflect Bullets

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Class Ability

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Critical Shot, Combat Style

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+0|
+6|
+12|
+6|Bonus Feat, Trick Shot[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 4+Int

Class Features:
Close-Combat: A 1st level gunslinger can use any firearm without provking an attack of opportunity, and gains Point-Blank Shot at first level as a bonus feat.
Quick Draw: At 2nd level, a gunslinger gets Quick Draw as a bonus feat.
Combat Style: At 3rd level, a gunslinger selects a type of firearm to specialize in. He becomes intimately familiar with every mechanic of the gun, and can list even the most technical specs of his choice off the top of his head. The gunslinger can select from the following choices: pistols, submachine guns, shotguns, or rifles. At every 4 levels thereafter, the gunslinger can choose to continue to improve in the style he has chosen or select another type of firearm as his Combat Style in addition to the one he chose earlier. A gunslinger may select dual-wielding pistols as a Combat Style, but only after selecting pistols at least once as a Combat Style before. He may select machine guns as a Combat Style, but only after selecting submachine guns at least once as a Combat Style before. He may select sniper rifles as a Combat Style, but only after selecting rifles at least once as a Combat Style before. A gunslinger of 10th experience level or above may select grenade launchers or rocket launchers as his Combat Style. ((Basically, these are supposed to work kind of like the Ranger's Combat Style, but obviously there are a lot more selections available and a Gunslinger can choose multiple Combat Styles instead of being confined to just one. I haven't figured out just what benefits each Combat Style will have just yet.))
Trick Shot: At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a gunslinger may select one Trick Shot from the list available to him under his chosen Combat Style. ((These are supposed to be similar to the Master Thrower's abilities, but I still have yet to make a list of Trick Shots.))
Improved Called Shot: A gunslinger's aim is so superb, that he can perform a Called Shot ((I think this is only in d20 modern, where you take a penalty to your attack to target a specific part of your opponent)) at a -2 difficulty.
Bullet Dodger: A 10th level gunslinger starts being able to judge the trajectory, range, and power of bullets before they're even fired based on the make of his opponents gun and the way he's holding it. The gunslinger gets a +4 dodge bonus to AC against any opponent he can see who fires a firearm at him. Against similar projectile weapons that allow a Reflex save instead, a gunslinger gets evasion. The gunslinger loses this bonus if he is caught flat-footed. or otherwise loses his Dexterity bonus.
One Shot Left: At 14th level, a gunslinger has luck that defies logic. Once per day, when in the middle of combat a gunslinger would run out of ammunition, he instead has exactly one bullet left.
Deflect Bullets: At 17th level, a gunslinger's technique is so skilled that he can literally swat bullets out of the air. Once per round, a gunslinger may deflect one bullet that is aimed at him harmlessly away. This ability has no effect on firearms that require a reflex save.
Critical Shot: At 19th level, a gunslinger becomes so accurate, his deadly precision is feared by all. Whenever a gunslinger rolls a critical threat, he may spend one action point to confirm that critical threat automatically. What's more, he can spend an additional action point if the target has an ability that makes it immune to critical hits, nullifying that ability.

Matthew
2007-08-03, 12:25 AM
Have you considered making this a less 'straight jacketed' Base Class. What I'm seeing looks okay, but if you were to make more of these Bonus Feats and provide a list of potential Feats it would go a long way towards making this less of a 'my way or the highway' affair. No dead levels would be nice.

Also, check out your competition: Gunslinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51802)

SilverClawShift
2007-08-03, 12:41 AM
Got a little competition from me and my group too. But our world's a regressed-western fantasy, not a progressed. We went the magic route instead of the tech route.

And we're not to the gunslinger class itself yet, though we're kicking around ideas. It looks like we're heading in a pretty different direction anyway.

Not that it matters, there's enough western fantasy to go around :smallbiggrin: