PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Single Use/Unique magic Items

nickl_2000
2017-05-17, 09:51 AM
I know of all the potions and other items in the DMG, but I'm wondering what you favorite Single Use Magical item you've seen?

How about unique magical items that provide fun roleplaying options, but don't give much combat capabilities?
An example that I'm thinking about
Magic Coin:
this appears as a normal coin, but when you it and focus on side it will always land on the side you focus on.

Hudsonian
2017-05-17, 05:16 PM
there is a really long thread about that. But this is one of the things I really enjoy so let's see what I can come up with... I'll keep editing this post instead of new replies.

Potion of Gender Change: For 1 minute after drinking this potion you experience extreme discomfort as your body changes it's anatomy. Making all of the adjustments between genders. At the DM's discretion, this potion also affects clothing and armor to allow for new body shapes. The transformation lasts for 24 hrs. You then experience the transformation again. The DM may require a roll to check for early or incomplete transformations at his/her discretion (be kind).

Ring of Ventriloquism: (Requires attunement by a spellcaster) once per LR choose a creature capable of speech within 30ft of you. That creature must make a Wisdom save against your spell DC or lose command of his speech, facial expressions, and hand gestures for 1 minute. During this time, you have complete command over the target's communication (like a puppet). However, if you attempt to command the creature to harm another creature by action or inaction, the target may repeat it's save and the control ends if harm is done.

Boy in a Bottle: This is a small clay bottle that seems ordinary enough, but upon pulling the stopper a small urchin boy appears at your feet and says, "do you need somefing?" in a british accent (optional). This boy can carry messages or packages up to 2 miles. He does not get lost, but cannot give directions and cannot be followed.

Quibbling Quill: This quill automatically transcribes notes or letters dictated to it, but close examination of the result will reveal that the quill itself has a vary sarcastic flare that it finds irresistible.

Qualified Paper: Think Doctor Who's Identification papers. Requires will save against DC13. As long as the required identification could be on paper. (i.e. no secret society handshakes or tattoos can be replicated.)

Trick Rope: this rope can be anchored to any point in space with an action. The anchor is incredibly strong, however the rope can only hold 400 pounds without snapping. When anchoring the rope roll a d20. A 1 or a 2 results in the anchor being permanent. Otherwise a bonus action will dislodge the rope.

Cape of Billowing: Use an action to cause the cape to begin flutter as if there was a wind. You may choose how strong the imaginary wind is, and how long it blows.

Levitating Cup: Perfect for the coin version of the "Queens Monty" gambling game, this cup or shell will levitate any coin placed inside it perfectly in the center of the concaved space beneath the shell. The person holding the shell controls when the coin is or is not levitated.

Potion of Rude Reversal: Lasts 10 minutes. For the duration, the affected person sees all insults and rude comments as either extreme compliments or hilarious jokes and views compliments as sarcastic and highly toxic implications on his character. (best if not used on self. Also, highly illegal to posses or use.)

Portable Privy: This outhouse is a diminutive version of the pop up tower of old. Perfect for when you "gotta go" or if you really need a moment to yourself. Comes with a "Just let me finish the chapter" inscribed beautifully across the door in 3 languages. (full sized outhouse that shrinks to thumb size upon command. however people inside at the time do not shrink.)

Ring of the Spy Fly: You may treat any single nearby insect that is tiny or smaller as a familiar for a short period of time. The insect can take no actions, but you can use an action to see and hear through the senses of the insect.

Mind Controlled Wig: This wig comes in three versions: One that simply allows you to change the color of your hair at will, one that allows you to command your hair as if each hair had locomotive power (think medusa like hair control), and a premium version that allows both. Note: the wig cannot generate enough force to hurt others.

The ejecting backpack of holding: This is much like a bag of holding, but instead of reaching your hand into the bag, you say the item you need and it shoots out of the top of the backpack and lands in your hand. The backpack only responds to your commands.

B-b-b-b-boogie shoes: While wearing these boots/shoes you gain expertise in performance(dancing). However, this does not teach you to dance but rather takes over your muscles should you choose to dance. if there is lively music playing, the DM may ask you to make a WIS save or dance uncontrollably.

Dagger of Cheese Cutting: This dagger is magical. If the dagger is within 30ft of you, you may cause it to emit a foul smell in a 5ft sphere. (flatulence sound effects optional). The smell lasts 1 minute, or is blown away if there is a gust of wind (and travels with the wind).

Sword of tournament: This sword is magically enchanted to do 1 point of force damage no matter the power of the hit. It is intended for fencing matches, but the occasional thug has been known to use it in intimidation techniques.

Pen of Description: Basically, if there is a really cool moment that happens for the character holding the pen, the DM (or, if the DM allows, another player) must describe the event as it is happening. The description is intended to be as the voice over for a movie trailer or sports announcer.

Edit 1: added lev cup and rude reverse.
Edit 2: added Portable Privy to Pen of Description.
Edit 3: Added Spoiler tags to not take up so much space.

Zman
2017-05-17, 07:55 PM
Lucky Arrow

It's a magical arrow that fires at advantage, can always be recovered if the player makes the attempt. Roll a d20, on a 1 it loses its magical properties when shot.

Not quite a one use, but kind of.