PDA

View Full Version : In need of a name

brian c
2007-08-01, 08:23 PM
Alright, so hopefully anyone who reads this forum a lot will have noticed at some point that I'm working on a campaign setting; so far I've posted on here about my races, my sorcerer rebuild, and a prestige class (it's all linked in my sig). I'm working on a few other things, including almost ready to post the main Gods, but I'm stuck. I need a name for the setting.

Here are the important things to know:

All arcane magic originated from Dragons (specifically, from the first dragon-god).

The two main gods are brothers, LN and CN so they get along well enough but not entirely. The LE and CE gods are the sons of the CN brother.

In this world, Humans, Elves, Orcs and Halflings are "wild" chaotic-leaning races, while other Humans, other Halflings, Dwarves and Gnomes are "civilized" lawful-leaning. That's detailed a little more in my races post, linked in my sig, though I've made some changes since then.

In terms of game mechanics, all melee classes have access to martial maneuvers (using Fax Celestis' ToB Core Class update which is here (http://corporation.walagata.com/fax/wiki/index.php/Tome_of_Battle_Core_Class_Update)).

Spellcasting is nerfed by giving Sorcerers less spells, Wizards needing to pass a Spellcraft check, Druids using the shapeshift variant, and Clerics using the Cloistered Cleric variant.

Please keep in mind that I'm not asking for input or criticisms on any of these things, nor am I asking for suggestions, though those are certainly welcome. If you have something to say about one of the things I've already posted, you can say it in that thread. If you have comments on something that I mentioned here but have not posted, then please wait for me to post it. Right now, all I need is ideas for a name. The above information is provided to help you guys think of something for me.

Gracias

nerulean
2007-08-02, 06:56 AM
Ooh, ooh, I love naming stuff, but the thing you really need to know to come up with a name is the 'feel' of the setting. If it's got a standard D&D feel, how about Silvaros, Medera, Haderal, Celemaya, Yerethed or Theron? Or you could emphasize certain things, like the draconic aspect to get Saedraca or Serevenya.

Really, do you want a pretty sounding name, a harsh sounding name, an elvish one, a human one, a dwarven one, or something else? What are you shooting for here?

Zeta Kai
2007-08-02, 07:01 AM
Yeah, until you state the emotion that want to evoke with the name, anything we come up with is just a shot in the dark.

brian c
2007-08-02, 08:23 AM
Ooh, ooh, I love naming stuff, but the thing you really need to know to come up with a name is the 'feel' of the setting. If it's got a standard D&D feel, how about Silvaros, Medera, Haderal, Celemaya, Yerethed or Theron? Or you could emphasize certain things, like the draconic aspect to get Saedraca or Serevenya.

Really, do you want a pretty sounding name, a harsh sounding name, an elvish one, a human one, a dwarven one, or something else? What are you shooting for here?

It's a fairly "standard D&D feel". It's high-powered though (somewhere around what FR is) and it's more "epic" and not really "gritty". I don't want to emphasize any particular race, except maybe dragons. I was thinking that I could give it a name in some way alluding to the two brothers (gods)

Zeta Kai
2007-08-02, 02:49 PM
1) Harsh; Setting: Thrakhul, LN God: Thrakh, CN God: Akhul

2) Soft; Setting: Aelinilea, LN God: Ozuluzo, CN God: Ivavi

3) Moderate; Setting: Dorvale, LN God: Dorjun, CN God: Dorash

Is this getting close?

ChrisMcDee
2007-08-02, 06:02 PM
I personally like setting names that aren't just places. If a setting's called Azeron, Kaladreth or Umberclaw I'm not going to remember it in the sea of generic fantasy names.

I quite like names that are real words that are important to the feel of setting. I like Dragonlance, Dark Sun and one of our host's own settings, "Illumination".

Looking at your setting it seems like the whole Civilized vs Wild conflict is a strong aspect. It's one I like alot, actually, and something I've tried to work into a setting before with somewhat mediocre results. There's definitely huge potential in it. Also you point out the brothers and dragons as being strong aspects. All this combined with an Epic feel gives a good idea of the identifying factors of the setting. It actually sounds pretty intriguing to me, from what I've read, and it's rare that I say that about this sort of high fantasy setting!

Now this would be a good place for me to suggest a name, right? :smallwink: I'm drawing blanks I'm afraid... All that comes to mind is incredibly lame stuff like Brotherhood, Kinship, urgh. I'll have a think and get back to you with something better. Hopefully my input's still given you an idea or two.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-02, 07:17 PM
In the vein of ChrisMcDee's notion of not using proper names in the title, how about:

1) Brother vs. Brother

2) A Dragon's Word

3) The End of Peace

I wanted to work the word "truce" in one of these somewhere, but it just didn't fit. Oh well.

mikeejimbo
2007-08-02, 07:26 PM
Well, mikeejimbo likes to name things in Latin. Of course, I feel that it's because he's a pretentious little twit who likes to sound smart. Oh wait, I AM that twit... anyway...

Suggestion one: Pax Dracone. "Peace by Dragons." Only applicable if there is peace, naturally.
Suggestion two: Gemini. "Twins." Very appropriate, if you ask me.

Eleven
2007-08-02, 08:50 PM
I say Tzigane. Its french, actually . Means gipsy.

Are you asking for the name of the world or the campaign? Dragonlance, Dark Sun etc. are all names of campaigns. For a campaign name i would say Dragon's Night or something like that.

brian c
2007-08-03, 12:18 AM
Hm... I like Gemini, maybe, or maybe Brother vs. Brother. I'll have to think about it some more, but thanks for the ideas guys. Also, ZK, I already have names for my gods, Im just trying to get something for the setting.

Nocte
2007-08-03, 12:49 AM
Well, mikeejimbo likes to name things in Latin. Of course, I feel that it's because he's a pretentious little twit who likes to sound smart. Oh wait, I AM that twit... anyway...

Suggestion one: Pax Dracone. "Peace by Dragons." Only applicable if there is peace, naturally.
Suggestion two: Gemini. "Twins." Very appropriate, if you ask me.

I also like latin.

Maybe you should think on the concept and take the name from there. Try to describe your setting in a frase.

My suggestion:

Frater inimicus. Brother enemy ...

Triaxx
2007-08-03, 09:31 AM
Drakken Frater? 'Dragon Brother.'