PDA

View Full Version : ROTRL pathfinder campaign Trait question

Zangief1983
2017-05-18, 10:27 PM
I am planning on taking the trait "Favored Son" of Sheriff Hemlock in the AP Rise of the Rune Lords. Could anyone provide me some feedback how I could use this trait besides the way they say in the trait description. I can't find anywhere on the internet of examples of how people have used this trait. So even if you haven't used it but can offer me suggestions on outside the box methods of using it that would be excellent!

Town Sheriff

Benefit The benefits of being close friends with the town sheriff are extensive, and you can call in favors from him once per game session. A favor can either get you out of a legal jam, hook you up with a town guard for help, or give you a onetime +10 bonus on a Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate check made against any local person.

Firest Kathon
2017-05-19, 02:25 AM
You will be spending time in Sandpoint for the first two books, so you will have ample opportunities to use this trait. You could also get information from him or use the connection to get in contact with specific townspoeple, if you need additional uses. The usefulness will drop sharply after book two, as you will be out of Sandpoint for most of the time, but many of the campaign traits are only useful for a book or two anyways.

Zangief1983
2017-05-19, 08:24 AM
You will be spending time in Sandpoint for the first two books, so you will have ample opportunities to use this trait. You could also get information from him or use the connection to get in contact with specific townspoeple, if you need additional uses. The usefulness will drop sharply after book two, as you will be out of Sandpoint for most of the time, but many of the campaign traits are only useful for a book or two anyways.

Thanks, any idea what level we will be around by the end of the second book?

Aotrs Commander
2017-05-19, 08:32 PM
Thanks, any idea what level we will be around by the end of the second book?

APs run to roughly 17th (actual progression depending) in six books, so depending on how your DM hands out XP, one might estimate about three levels per book.

Obviously a LOT of factors figure into that (party size (if you have a seven/eight PC party like the ones I run RotRL for!), whether you get every drop of XP or not, whether the DM adds any extra in - which version you're playing (I'm given to understand the anniversary PF edition has a few more sidequests in it that the original 3.x version I have).

Zangief1983
2017-05-21, 09:36 PM
APs run to roughly 17th (actual progression depending) in six books, so depending on how your DM hands out XP, one might estimate about three levels per book.

Obviously a LOT of factors figure into that (party size (if you have a seven/eight PC party like the ones I run RotRL for!), whether you get every drop of XP or not, whether the DM adds any extra in - which version you're playing (I'm given to understand the anniversary PF edition has a few more sidequests in it that the original 3.x version I have).

Thank you. After the second book would we come back to sandpoint at all? During the 3rd,4th,5th and 6th chapters? Or are we essentially finished with this great little town?

Katrina
2017-05-21, 09:42 PM
The AP is written for you to come back, but the power level of the Sheriff isn't going to do you any favors in Chapter/book 4 or 5. Pretty much after Book 2, you will have gotten almost all the use out of it you can. That being said, only the minor bonuses of the other traits even play into anything after that. You might could use the relationship with the Scarnetti if you don't have a good rogue to find a black market for you, or the relationship with Pillbug to get poisons. But most of that is outclassed by what you as a 7th level character will be bringing to the table. Still, the traits are good, well written, and in my opinion more engaging than the ones for Carrion Crown, which I'm gearing up to finally get to PC in. Been running RotRL for close to a year...x.x.