PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] I keep my lamp lit, to warn the sailors on their way...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-01, 08:46 PM
I am a lighthouse, worn by the weather and the waves.
I keep my lamp lit, to warn the sailors on their way.

I'll tell a story, paint you a picture from my past.
I was so happy, but joy in this life seldom lasts.

I had a keeper, he helped me warn the ships at sea.
We had grown closer, 'till his joy meant everything to me.

And he was to marry, a girl who shone with beauty and light.
And they loved each other, and with me watched the sunsets into night.

And the waves crashing around me, the sand slips out to sea.
And the winds that blow remind me, of what has been, and what can never be...

http://my.photosleeve.com/TheVorpalTribble-albums/album03/ada.gif
Essence of Pharos

Large Fey (fire, incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 13d6+39 (84 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 deflection, +5 dex, -1 size), touch 17, flat-footed 12; or 17 (+5 dex, +3 natural, -1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/-
Attack: --
Full attack: --
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Beacon, flaming spin, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 1000 feet, low-light vision, incorporeal traits, lighthouse dependent, ship sense, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +15, Will +11
Abilities: Str -, Dex 21, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Knowledge (architecture) +16, Knowledge (geography) +16, Knowledge (nature) +16, Listen +19, Profession (lighthouse upkeep) +16, Spot +19
Feats: Dodge, Flyby Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Spring Attack
Environment: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard goods
Alignment: Often lawful good
Advancement: 14-20 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

An essence of pharos sometimes appears as a large, flickering ball of vague, ghostly light that spins continuously and releases a beam of light that extends right through solid material, and at other times it takes the form of one of its keepers down to color and texture. The essence roams all through the lighthouse, but in times of storm and fog, and always at night, it retires to the top, where it bursts into a nearly blinding inferno of light and heat, sending its beam deep into the darkness.

The upkeeper of a lighthouse has a simple but important task, keep the light lit. Leading ships home, warning of rocky shoals, piecing the briney mists, the burning flame has many uses. In weather good or storms ferocious the flame must burn. When a particularly dedicated individual keeps the lighthouse, or more often when a family resides within, a lighthouse almost developes its own personality, a reflection of those that care for it and dedicate themseselves to the aid of those out to sea. When these individuals die or leave and the lighthouse becomes abandoned and left to ruin, this essence still remembers its duty and continues on.

Most essences of pharos welcome those who would put the lighthouse to use once more, and will keep hidden and out of the way unless needed, while a few rare others jealously guard the house, allowing no others to take over its upkeep.

An essence of pharos speaks any language its master did (usually common). It uses its Ghost Sound spell-like ability to speak.

Combat
An essence of pharos does not readily attack, and will even allow intruders to visit, sometimes taking the shape of the former keeper of the house and watching them silently. If there is any attempt to harm the lighthouse however the essence blazes into light and rushes the intruders, blinding them with its beacon, commanding them to stop. If they attempt to harm it or continue their destruction or theft it resorts to its flaming spin, scorching all in its path. If the intruders leave or flee it shuts and locks all doors and will never willingly let them enter again, and it has a long memory.

Beacon (Ex):
An essence of pharos can send out a cone of light that can be seen up to twenty miles away in ideal conditions, but can only distinctly illuminate an area up to a mile off. It can dim or brighten this light at will as a free action, and anyone within a 100-foot cone are blinded for 1d6 rounds unless they succeed on a DC 19 fortitude save, plus dazzled for twice as many rounds after the blindness fades. Those who make the save are dazzled instead of blinded for 1d6 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Flaming Spin (Su):
An essence of pharos can use a standard action to empower its beam of light as it rotates about, throwing a 60-foot radius burst of flame dealing 4d6 points of fire damage (reflex DC 19 halves). Unlike its beacon, the flame is ethereal in nature and can go through any physical obstructions an incorporeal being could. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Incorporeal Traits: An essence of pharos is harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, powers, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. It has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source, except for force effects or attacks made with ghost touch weapons. It can pass through solid objects, but not force effects, at will. Its attacks ignore natural armor, armor, and shields, but deflection bonuses and force effects work normally against them. An incorporeal creature always moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be.

Lighthouse Dependent (Su):
An essence of pharos is mystically bound to the lighthouse it inhabits and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours. An essence of pharos' lighthouse does not radiate magic.

Ship Sense (Su):
An essence of pharos can sense the presence of any object or creature of raft-size or larger out to five miles upon the surface of the body of water it illuminates. It cannot pinpoint the exact location until it is within 1000 feet from shore.

Spell-like abilities:
At will/Ghost Sound, Hold Portal, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close. Caster level 15th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

Vulnerability to Cold An essence of pharos has vulnerability to cold, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

jindra34
2007-08-01, 09:57 PM
Yeah! A ray of hope in your dark world.

Deesix
2007-08-01, 10:35 PM
Ooo, classy. I've always had fun with Monsters Linked to Locations.

Demented
2007-08-01, 10:39 PM
This seems vaguely familiar, somehow. Have you posted it before?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-01, 11:24 PM
This seems vaguely familiar, somehow. Have you posted it before?
Over on Wizards. Don't believe I'd ever done it here.

Collin152
2007-08-01, 11:32 PM
This, good sir, is Tribbilishious™.

DracoDei
2007-08-02, 12:11 AM
I like... making it a Fey rather than an Outsider (or undead???) is a hard call... but I guess it makes sense. Tough choice since it is generated from sentient emotion and commitment and bound to a location, but without death necessarily being involved... one question is what percentage of light-houses would be stone? most of them would, to stand up to violent coastal weather at a useful height, but... well fire spin could get a bit pyric... And not good for the furnishings in any case... Hmmm maybe make the structure immune to it, like plants can be immune to a Druid's Fire Storm? (I may be remembering the wrong spell).
MIGHT want to specifically noted in the listing of spell-like abilities that in this case YES Ghost Sound CAN create intellegible speech... just to pound the point home.