PDA

View Full Version : DM Help In Game Trivia?

egglegg
2017-05-19, 04:23 PM
I'm hoping to have my players eventually run into some creature (haven't decided yet, might homebrew something) that will get them to play a trivia game before they get what they want out of it. Now, I could just ask them some generic trivia questions about the real world, but that would break immersion a fair bit.
Should I just stick with that, knowing that the players will likely be able to figure out the answers?
Or should I come up with some trivia about in world stuff and have the players either test their knowledge of the world they're playing in, or roll to see if the character would know that sort of thing?

What would you find more fun as a player, or what has worked well for you in the past as a dm?

TheCountAlucard
2017-05-19, 05:47 PM
Be willing to give the players leeway to make up their own answers (within reason of course). After all, if it's a detail you hadn't nailed down yet, it could make for a fun way to quietly flesh out your setting.

Pair it with a Knowledge roll if you wish, with a high result letting the player make a more detailed claim (for instance, a low roll might establish the existence of a devil-haunted forest, but a high one might explain how a sorceress in years past built a portal to Hell there and how it opens on each new moon).