PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half Dwarf I tossed together

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 12:11 AM
So im doing a homebrew campaign and I've always just missed the flavoring half dwarves would add so i based one entirely off of the half-elf, removing all the elf-y stuff and replacing it with dwarven abilities. Please just check it out and tell me if you think its way too overpowered or underpowered. (Dont suggest Muls to me please, they don't fill the half dwarf shaped hole in my heart)

Half-Dwarf

+2 Con
+1 to two other chosen stats
Darkvision up to 60 feet
Speed of 30
Half-Dwarves get to choose any two skill profiencies
Half- Dwarves can choose either stonecunning or a tool proficiency commonly used by dwarves this includes smiths tools, jewlers tools, and stonemasons tools.

(I debated replacing that last ability with the dwarven resistance to poison please tell me what you think)

Half- Dwarves are almost always lawful in alignment however they vary greatly from good to evil.
Around same size as humans with a generally heavier look around 5'0"- 5'6" and 200- 300 pounds.
They can speak common and dwarf. They can also choose another language.

bunnynoah
2017-05-22, 09:39 AM
As a half-dwarf player myself, this seems alright. It's a lot like the half-elf in design, but that's ok. I would have replaced the Dwarven tool proficiencies with Dwarven resilience myself. Your call though. It's surprisingly well made for something you threw together.

Edit: I don't like Muls. They are a lie and a disgrace to dwarves and humans everywhere.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 10:17 AM
I would have replaced the Dwarven tool proficiencies with Dwarven resilience myself.

Okay what if i do put in Dwarven resilience (because i honestly want it too) and replace the extra language with a tool proficiency.

bunnynoah
2017-05-22, 10:47 AM
Sounds good to me. It would be balanced to half-elves.

2 Con, 1 for 2 = 4
Darkvision = .5
Dwarven Resilience = .5
Two Skills = 1
Dwarven Tool Proficiency = .5
Two Languages = 0

JNAProductions
2017-05-22, 10:50 AM
On the upper end of races, but not broken.

Just doesn't FEEL very half dwarven-to me, at least.

bunnynoah
2017-05-22, 10:56 AM
Personally, I made one based one the abilities of the Mul, but with the fluff of what most would expect a half-dwarf would be.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 11:05 AM
On the upper end of races, but not broken.

Just doesn't FEEL very half dwarven-to me, at least.

What do ypu think i should do to make it half dwarven

JNAProductions
2017-05-22, 11:06 AM
I think you can trade the skills for Dwarven Resilience. Half-elves are dilettantes, but are half-dwarves?

Steampunkette
2017-05-22, 11:17 AM
I'm with JNA on that one. No skills, resilience.

Though I would do stonecunning, alone. No tool option.

Tool use is cultural, stonecunning is inherently dwarven.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 11:30 AM
I'm with JNA on that one. No skills, resilience.

Though I would do stonecunning, alone. No tool option.

Tool use is cultural, stonecunning is inherently dwarven.

What if it was only one skill? I always just saw that as the human heritage part.

JNAProductions
2017-05-22, 11:33 AM
What if it was only one skill? I always just saw that as the human heritage part.

*Shurg*

The issue isn't balance-it's, again, powerful, but not broken.

The issue is feels. So if it feels okay to you, there's nothing you need to fix. We're just talking about our own points of view.

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 11:34 AM
Also the way i see it. Dwarves are honorable so in my world they wouldn't abandon their children. I want the dwarves to pass on a little bit of their culture to their children. (This is on the matter of tools)

Dankus Memakus
2017-05-22, 11:36 AM
*Shurg*

The issue isn't balance-it's, again, powerful, but not broken.

The issue is feels. So if it feels okay to you, there's nothing you need to fix. We're just talking about our own points of view.

Ill probably playtest with both variants suggested here and ill decide which functions more as a half dwarf.

Potato_Priest
2017-05-23, 12:59 AM
Human savage here.

What's a Mul, and why are they different from a half-dwarf?

Arkhios
2017-05-26, 01:12 AM
Human savage here.

What's a Mul, and why are they different from a half-dwarf?

Mul (https://www.scribd.com/doc/23355497/Dragon-Magazine-319-Dark-Sun-Player-s-Handbook) (page 20 and forward) is a naturally sterile half-breed between dwarf and human in the world of Athas, in the Dark Sun setting.

Personally, the only thing I find "off" about Mul is that they're sterile and can't reproduce as their own species. And maybe that they're naturally psionic.

PS. Also note, that the article is made for 3.0 D&D, so the statistics are a bit on the strong side. (LA +1 = Level Adjustment +1 = A mul gains a level 1 level behind the standard progression)