PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yugioh homebrew class for 5e

Vion444
2017-05-24, 08:18 AM
Duelist

Duelists found magical cards embued with magic. These cards, when presented, allow for many things to occur. A monster may appear, or a spell like effect cast. Only the duelist knows for sure what may or may not happen.

Class Features
Hit die: 1d8
Hitpoints at first level: 8 + constitution modifier

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8(or 5) +constitution modifier

Proficiencies
See Wizard Level table for profeciency bonus
Armor: None
Weapons: Choice of single martial weapon, simple weapons
Saving Throws: Charisma, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from History, Insight, Preception, Persuasion, Deception and investigation.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment. in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
Magical deck of 40 (already attuned)
Martial melee weapon (must be profecient) or shortsword
Martial ranged weapon (must be profecient) or shortbow
20 amunition for ranged weapon
(a) a Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack

Casting Cards:
At level 1 a dulist's max casting points is 5 plus their charisma modifier. Each level grants an extra 2 plus charisma modifier points for casting.

To cast a monster, expend points equal to it's level. Higher leveled monsters (5+) require that a previously summoned creature(s) be sent to the graveyard.

To cast a spell/trap expend 2 points. Spells go off immediately, while traps need a designated trigger, chosen by the caster. Some traps have limit on their triggers.

Upon use, the card gets burned and sent to the caster's "graveyard." The cards reappear to the duelist's deck once the light of dawn can be seen. Cards that are "banished" through the effects of another duelist cannot be regained until the duelist is able to find them again or gains a card to summon them to him/her.

Leveling up:
Level 1:

Lingering summon: At level 1 creatures of level 3 or below may linger until they choose to leave or the caster dismisses them.

Duelist's rest: Upon a short rest, the duelist may roll to regain 1d8 +char casting points. All casting points are recovered on a long rest.

Creature summon: Can have 1 +half char (rounded down) creatures summoned at the same time.

Level 3:
Duelist's path: A dueler chooses a path to take. They can choose Elementalist, Clan Duelist, or Caster. Each shall be detailed in a later post.

Level 4:

Ability score improvement

Level 6:

Creature Summon: Can have 2 + half char(rounded down) creatures summoned at the same time.

Duelist's path: Gain feature from Duelist's Path.

Vion444
2017-05-24, 08:32 AM
Monsters:

Hp is determined by defense. It's easier if I use examples sooo....

Let's say you have a level 3 monster with 1500 defense. Let's find out it's hit dice.

With every monster you divide by 100. Because of this that makes the starting hp of the monster 15. It's hit dice should be 15/3, which is 5. We don't have a 5 sided dice, so use 4+1.

Why do we calculate for hit dice? Well, if the dm wants to add a mechanic in the game to level the creatures to keep them relevant later on, duh! All monsters for all intents and purposes are considerd "level one" when implementing a leveling system. Their card level is the "cast level."

This is my personal formula, but you may use your own.

Vion444
2017-05-24, 08:37 AM
Any effects that would "destroy" a creature only deals half their current hp instead. If targeting a casted monster that appeared due to a card cast, proceed as normal.

JBPuffin
2017-05-24, 08:50 AM
This is exactly the unholy fusion I need in my life :smallbiggrin:. I'm interested in seeing how you go through this; keep in mind that at 5th level, you might have someone with 7 creatures on the board, which by normal DnD standards is, like, a lot. Maybe trim it to half Charisma mod, so the most you'll get (thus far) would be 4? 4's the largest number I think 5e'd be okay to use.

Vion444
2017-05-24, 08:52 AM
This is exactly the unholy fusion I need in my life :smallbiggrin:. I'm interested in seeing how you go through this; keep in mind that at 5th level, you might have someone with 7 creatures on the board, which by normal DnD standards is, like, a lot. Maybe trim it to half Charisma mod, so the most you'll get (thus far) would be 4? 4's the largest number I think 5e'd be okay to use.

I was just thinking about that. Thanks for the input. I was thinking maybe bump the level up for that too....

Vion444
2017-05-24, 09:24 AM
Caster

Casters focus their time studying how to more efficiently cast their cards. Starting at level 3 a caster may expend 1 less point to cast a card.

Casting burn: Starting at level 3, a caster my expend 1 cast point after casting a card. If they do, they roll a d20 ranged attack on a target creature. On a success that creature takes 1d4 +char magic damage. On a fail, the caster takes the damage instead. If the card casted was a monster, the monster also takes damage equal to the roll, regardless of hit or miss. At level 6, caster may choose to have his/her creature take half damage.

Casting burn can only be casted 5 times prior to dawn.

Casting Influence: Starting at level 6 a caster may use a cast point to add 1d4 to any roll made by his/her creatures. Alternateively, they may use it to boost AC for one attack. Casting influence limited once per creature per summon.

Creature Cast: Starting at level 14, a caster may cast up to 5 monsters.

Signature Cast: Starting at level 20, a caster has become so attuned to a card currently attuned to them that it costs no cast points (spells/traps/monsters level 4 or below) or half rounded up (level 5 or higher). The caster must choose a single card to become their signature cast.

JeenLeen
2017-05-26, 09:25 AM
I haven't reviewed the actual class features, but some comments on proficiencies.

Proficiencies
See Wizard Level table for profeciency bonus
Armor: None
Weapons: Choice of single martial weapon, simple weapons
Saving Throws: Charisma, Intelligence
Skills: Choose two from History, Insight, Preception, Persuasion, Deception and investigation.

Instead of "choice of single martial weapon", I'd recommend just giving martial and simple weapons, or a slew of martial weapons similar to what the rogue gets. My reasons are:
1) seems more in line with other 5e classes
2) this way a player isn't penalized if they pick a weapon they think is cool, but later decide they don't like it
3) players will likely pick the weapon they want (assuming reason #2 not occur), so having proficiencies for weapons they don't intend to use isn't really relevant. (Beyond having a good bow and melee weapon)
All in all, seems like it'd make the class more fun and not give any relevant extra power.

For saves, most classes have Wisdom, Dexterity, or Constitution and then Charisma, Intelligence, or Strength. You have two 'bad' saves, in the sense of 'bad' meaning they come up less often or with less severe consequences. I'd guess going with Wisdom and then Charisma or Intelligence, but don't have a strong recommendation.

For skills, I'd add Arcana to the list. They are using a subset of magic, after all.

Vion444
2017-06-11, 12:13 AM
I haven't reviewed the actual class features, but some comments on proficiencies.

Instead of "choice of single martial weapon", I'd recommend just giving martial and simple weapons, or a slew of martial weapons similar to what the rogue gets. My reasons are:
1) seems more in line with other 5e classes
2) this way a player isn't penalized if they pick a weapon they think is cool, but later decide they don't like it
3) players will likely pick the weapon they want (assuming reason #2 not occur), so having proficiencies for weapons they don't intend to use isn't really relevant. (Beyond having a good bow and melee weapon)
All in all, seems like it'd make the class more fun and not give any relevant extra power.

For saves, most classes have Wisdom, Dexterity, or Constitution and then Charisma, Intelligence, or Strength. You have two 'bad' saves, in the sense of 'bad' meaning they come up less often or with less severe consequences. I'd guess going with Wisdom and then Charisma or Intelligence, but don't have a strong recommendation.

For skills, I'd add Arcana to the list. They are using a subset of magic, after all.

I've chosen one martial weapon due to the fact that if they can pick up just any weapon laying around it would make them more overpowered if a durability mechanic is used. They don't necessarily know magic, as they cast cards which don't need any magical expertise as they are already enchanted.

I do agree with switching int save with wis save.