PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Items - PEACH

Oramac
2017-05-24, 02:38 PM
Here's some magic items I've made while I'm bored. A few things to note first:

1. I'm generally trying to avoid +X bonuses. Also, I like the idea of PROC effects, so several of these items have a PROC.

2. Sword of the Damned and the Cloak of Ruin are loosely based on Craven Edge and Kabal's Ruin from Critical Role

3. Ashbringer/Frostmourne are (obviously) from Warcraft. Also, I know they're incredibly overpowered. I don't care. :)

Here ya go! (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkgjcJlAg)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-30, 05:09 AM
So are you looking for rarity ratings? There's a lot of items here, I can see why people didn't respond.

Stunning Maul wants to be rare, with that 15 DC and the powerful stunned condition, but the low chance of it triggering means it'd be underpowered in that tier. I say: give it a +1 bonus and then call it rare.

Radiant Hammer is pretty damn strong. I have no problem calling it very rare.

Shield of Shield seems like it would be very popular. It just about sneaks into uncommon, for me.

Throwing Shield probably shouldn't be a magic item. It should be statted up as an exotic weapon, then the 'returning' version is an uncommon magic item.

Terrifying Axe is uncommon and should have its DC cut to 13.

Greatsword of Vengeance needs a new name, because that one's taken (Swords of Vengeance come in all sizes). It also needs a new gimmick, because it's basically a Sword of Answering without the +3 bonus. As-is, I'd rate it rare.

Sword of Impending Doom is kind of weird. Probably uncommon, but someone should do the maths on it.

Sword of Seeking seems like it should be uncommon.

Ring of the Last Word is going to have to be uncommon, though I doubt it justifies its opportunity cost unless you're having a specific problem with a recurring villain who likes to Counterspell.

Weapon of Slaying is juicy. Very rare, at least.

Dimension Gem seems to step on the Iron Flask's toes quite a lot. As such, I guess it has to be legendary?

Bow of Force looks uncommon to me.

Sword of Persuasion honestly doesn't even make it to uncommon. I'd rate it common. Also why is it a sword? Doesn't really feel right.

Staff of the Hand... yeah, that's another common.

Dagger of the Thief can be uncommon. Inspired by The Last of Us?

Shield of Sacrifice is sort of weird. I guess most people will use it to sacrifice 1 maximum HP to revive an unconscious ally? In which case you'd have to say it's quite powerful. Rare?

Boots of Supreme Accuracy seems like an uncommon, but maybe they should only work for melee attacks?

Greatsword of Returning is clearly uncommon.

Tome of Knowledge could use some stronger flavour. Why are the pages blank? Why does it sometimes make you mad? Mechanically, I can't rate it higher than common, even though this item feels like it should be a unique artifact.

Robe of the Powerful Mind is pretty nice. Solidly uncommon.

Dark Edge of Insanity was clearly named by a teenager who thinks he's a lot more metal than he is. Also, I'd be more disturbed by an occasionally-blinking eye than a never-blinking eye, in the context of an inanimate object. I guess it makes rare.

Sword of the Damned seems like it would be a pain to use in a pen & paper game. Frequently changing people's ability scores is just not worth it. Also the save vs. instant death bit makes it pretty much unusable for any but the most recklessly insane PCs. No, Lonely Blade, don't use it!

Solution To Enhance Resistance Or Increase Direct Strength is good. +4 strength for 1 minute is a significant boost, and the item isn't consumed like a potion would be. I think rare is fair.

Chromatic Armor must rate as very rare, just for the number of resistances it packs into one attunement slot.

Oramac
2017-05-30, 04:45 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the feedback. I know some of them are really niche items, but I'm ok with that.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-05-31, 03:09 AM
Time for round 2!

Cloak of Ruin gives you strong buffs to both offense and defense. I'd rate it very rare, since it's stronger than a Mantle of Spell Resistance.

Armor of the Old Gods is flat out better than a Helm of Comprehending Languages (though for some reason that one doesn't require attunement), so it should be rare.

Wild Robes must come from the Feywild! Magic Resistance is good enough to warrant rare, even with the WMS risks.

Cloak of the Mists is another very rare.

Massacre Sword has a powerful feature with a big drawback... I'm not sure how much weight each side should be given. Very rare? It's not totally clear what you mean by 'stacks' here. Is it that the effect's duration gets extended?

Boots of Speed need to be renamed; there's already an item by that name. Uncommon should do for these.

Cloak of the Dawn is actually a blue cloak trimmed with black, not white-and-gold. What's the DC for Sunbeam? I guess it's got to be very rare.

The Ashbringer is legendary; perhaps it should be reformatted into an artifact.

Frostmourne definitely needs to be reformatted as an artifact.

Gnomish Ulitity Belt contains a spelling error - it should be 'utility'. It's kind of hard to rate, but must be rare at the least.

Helm of Many Faces weighs in as uncommon. And a bit creepy.

Oramac
2017-06-01, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ninja! I really appreciate you taking the time to look over these. I've changed a few things already from the feedback.

Composer99
2017-06-01, 09:03 PM
I'm not going to make many suggestions as to rarity, but I'll share what I'm thinking about the items themselves.
Edit: Moar itumz!

Stunning Maul
Nice, strong ability that is pretty crimped by proccing on a critical hit. Normally, I'd suggest making the feature usable 1/short or long rest, but I do kind of like the proc effect. Maybe make it happen if the attack roll result is 18-20, instead of strictly on a critical? A 15% of proccing seems a bit more reasonable, and you're liable to see it come up often enough to feel good about having this weapon.

Radiant Hammer
I'd want this if I were a cleric. It's strong, but not overpowered.

Shield of shield
Great item. Definitely a strong effect. (Note that usually spells are referred to in lower case and italics when encountered in any text except the class spell lists.)

Throwing Shield
I concur with Ninja_Prawn about making this a weapon (martial weapon, though, since 5e doesn't seem to have exotic ones, unless you want to create that category) and then making the returning version magic.

Terrifying Axe
Same remark about when the weapon procs as the stunning maul. Also concur with Ninja_Prawn that the DC is too high.

Helm of Many Faces
Would it not be easier to simply say that the helm lets you cast disguise self on yourself once per day?

Sword of Impending Doom
https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hearthstone.gamepedia.com/6/6a/DOOM%21_full.jpg?version=9703e49865438756a65472eb1 4eb629e
(Image credit Blizzard Entertainment)

Interesting effect. I like it.

Sword of Seeking
Good ability. Unless combats in 5e go on a bit longer than in previous editions (which, if memory serves, tended to be 3-5 rounds), though, using an action to determine invisible creatures is a pretty steep cost.

Ring of the Last Word
Pretty weaksauce. I'd have the ring's effects also work on dispel magic. Even then, it's probably not worthwhile. Is there any sort of thematically-appropriate 1/day ability you could add?

Weapon of Slaying
Whoa nelly. But maybe change the name? After all, there are already arrows of slaying, and they have a rather different effect.

Dimension Gem
Kind of a weaker trap the soul effect? I guess you wanted something that worked a bit like the iron flask but could work on creatures native to the plane of existence you're on when you use it? I'm not sure I'd let creatures inside the gem attack it, but maybe give them a means of escape?

Bow of Force
Cool.

Sword of Persuasion
I like the ability (I sort of wish the rod of rulership had this feature alongside its charm effect), but like Ninja_Prawn, I'm struggling to see why this is a sword. Maybe a pendant or headpiece?

Staff of the Hand
Nothing to write home about, but not every item has to be super-powerful or super-cool.

Dagger of the Thief
Very distinctive and evocative ability. I like it.

Shield of Sacrifice
The effect is too easy to game, in my view. If you're just about to take a short rest, for instance, you could reduce yourself to as low as 1 hit point and give someone a big heal, then just get it all back, three times per adventuring day (using the DMG assumption of 2 short rests during the day). I suggest recovering normal hit point maximum after a long rest. Now, if something like that's your intent, well and good, but it doesn't scream "sacrifice". Alternately, you can specify that your hit point maximum returns to normal, but your current hit points don't increase.

Boots of Supreme Accuracy
The ignoring difficult terrain thing and the effect for which the boots are named don't mesh, thematically, but they are boots, so I can see why you would add a mobility effect to them. Otherwise... nice boots.

Tome of Knowledge
I like this item. I'd be tempted, given the madness effect, to rename it the tome of forbidden knowledge, but that's just me.

Robe of the Powerful Mind
I'd add that you have to be able to cast spells to use/attune to the item. Also... any level!? Wow. I'd be inclined to cap that effect at 7th level.

Cloak of Ruin
Another really powerful item.

Dark Edge of Insanity
Given the potential drawback, and given the axe's theme, and given how awesome its name is, I'd be inclined to increase the damage you inflict - or change it to a saving throw, with something like 4d6 damage plus a frightened rider effect on a failed save, and half damage and no rider effect on a success. I would also change the word order slightly: the convention used for spells and monster abilities is to describe the area of effect, and then describe what happens to what happens to each creature in the area - that is, something like this (using your original effect):

While attuned to this axe, when you hit with a melee attack using it, you may choose to expend a charge, causing a burst of chaotic energy to erupt from the axe in a 30-foot sphere. Creatures hostile to you in the area take necrotic damage equal to your level.

Sword of the Damned
Sweet. What a weapon. Definitely a... double-edged sword.

Steroids
Haha funny name. Also, nice item.

Chromatic Armor
IIRC the dragonborn breath weapons are similar, and whenever they have a 15-foot cone, the line alternative is 5 by 30 feet. So I would suggest either increasing the size of the cone, or decreasing the length of the line.

Armor of the Old Gods
Not everyone who wears this will necessarily have a spellcasting feature, so you'd be better off specifying a DC: either a fixed DC, or keying of one of the user's ability scores (Wisdom or Charisma, I'd reckon).

Wild Robes
Another quite powerful item. Also, wild magic surges are fun.

Cloak of the Mists
Cool item.

The Ashbringer
Definitely should be an artifact. Also, 'demon' is a tag that is usually applied to creatures of the fiend type (all demons, for instance, are already fiends), so you don't need to specify it.

Frostmourne
Also must be an artifact. The damage scaling with every soul swallowed by the blade could get out of hand if someone hangs on to the weapon for a long time. Maybe put a cap on it or expend some of the bonus dice to create wraiths?

Gnomish Utility Belt
Holy smokebombs, Batman!

Boots of Alacrity
You can probably drop "character" from "character levels".

Massacre Sword
An interesting effect. I'd think, though, that for the ability to slay armies, getting more attacks would matter than posting bigger numbers on the number of attacks you normally get.

Cloak of the Dawn
Nothing too special compared to some of the items here, but thematic and cool.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-02, 01:32 AM
Helm of Many Faces
Would it not be easier to simply say that the helm lets you cast disguise self on yourself once per day?

Because the Hat of Disguise is already a thing. :smalltongue:

Composer99
2017-06-02, 03:06 PM
Because the Hat of Disguise is already a thing. :smalltongue:

Oh yeah. :smallredface:

Replying to this gives me the opportunity to mention that I added all the items I didn't get to last night in my post upthread.

Oramac
2017-06-05, 06:55 PM
Thank you both!! Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a few days.

Also, I apologize in advance if I get a name wrong in a quote. :)

Stunning Maul wants to be rare, with that 15 DC and the powerful stunned condition, but the low chance of it triggering means it'd be underpowered in that tier. I say: give it a +1 bonus and then call it rare.

Stunning Maul
Nice, strong ability that is pretty crimped by proccing on a critical hit. Normally, I'd suggest making the feature usable 1/short or long rest, but I do kind of like the proc effect. Maybe make it happen if the attack roll result is 18-20, instead of strictly on a critical? A 15% of proccing seems a bit more reasonable, and you're liable to see it come up often enough to feel good about having this weapon.

Yea. I knew the proc on crit thing would be kinda rare, so I wanted the DC to be high enough to make it feel worth it. Might be good to give it a bigger proc range.

Radiant Hammer is pretty damn strong. I have no problem calling it very rare.

Radiant Hammer
I'd want this if I were a cleric. It's strong, but not overpowered.

Fun fact: I made this specifically for the Cleric in my group. Glad you think so! I know it's a powerful proc, but it's only a 25% chance, and only when they cast a healing spell, which doesn't always happen. I figured that made up for it being more powerful.

Shield of Shield seems like it would be very popular. It just about sneaks into uncommon, for me.

Shield of shield
Great item. Definitely a strong effect. (Note that usually spells are referred to in lower case and italics when encountered in any text except the class spell lists.)

Thanks! I made this because I thought the name sounded fun. I'll definitely tune it a bit after some playtesting.

Throwing Shield probably shouldn't be a magic item. It should be statted up as an exotic weapon, then the 'returning' version is an uncommon magic item.

Throwing Shield
I concur with Ninja_Prawn about making this a weapon (martial weapon, though, since 5e doesn't seem to have exotic ones, unless you want to create that category) and then making the returning version magic.

Interesting thought. I hadn't considered making it two separate items. As I intend to eventually put this on the DM's Guild (minus a few items), I'll probably leave it as-is and note that the shield could be its own weapon without the returning property.

Terrifying Axe is uncommon and should have its DC cut to 13.

Terrifying Axe
Same remark about when the weapon procs as the stunning maul. Also concur with Ninja_Prawn that the DC is too high.

Like the Stunning Maul, I gave it a high DC to offset the low 5% proc chance. I suppose it's another one that would benefit from a bigger proc range and a lower DC.

Greatsword of Vengeance needs a new name, because that one's taken (Swords of Vengeance come in all sizes). It also needs a new gimmick, because it's basically a Sword of Answering without the +3 bonus. As-is, I'd rate it rare.

Valid points. I've removed this one, as it was entirely irrelevant next to the items mentioned.

Sword of Impending Doom is kind of weird. Probably uncommon, but someone should do the maths on it.

Sword of Impending Doom
Interesting effect. I like it.

Thanks! It's probably more powerful than it seems. I used an online die roller to test it a bit (not enough, to be sure), and ended up getting a crit about every 5th or 6th swing.

Sword of Seeking seems like it should be uncommon.

Sword of Seeking
Good ability. Unless combats in 5e go on a bit longer than in previous editions (which, if memory serves, tended to be 3-5 rounds), though, using an action to determine invisible creatures is a pretty steep cost.

Yea. I intended the cost to be fairly high, figuring that the player could use an action and then point to a spot for his party members. Though now that I type that out, it seems less feasible than it did in my head. Maybe I'll make it a bonus action.

Ring of the Last Word is going to have to be uncommon, though I doubt it justifies its opportunity cost unless you're having a specific problem with a recurring villain who likes to Counterspell.

Ring of the Last Word
Pretty weaksauce. I'd have the ring's effects also work on dispel magic. Even then, it's probably not worthwhile. Is there any sort of thematically-appropriate 1/day ability you could add?

Weak? Really? Hmm. I was actually worried about it being too powerful. Originally it was simply "your spells can no longer be counterspelled". For an on-use idea, maybe 3/day using the ring to cast counterspell?

Weapon of Slaying is juicy. Very rare, at least.

Weapon of Slaying
Whoa nelly. But maybe change the name? After all, there are already arrows of slaying, and they have a rather different effect.

Glad it sounds good. Someone had mentioned making it a long-rest item instead of short. I feel like that's probably a good idea.

Dimension Gem seems to step on the Iron Flask's toes quite a lot. As such, I guess it has to be legendary?

Dimension Gem
Kind of a weaker trap the soul effect? I guess you wanted something that worked a bit like the iron flask but could work on creatures native to the plane of existence you're on when you use it? I'm not sure I'd let creatures inside the gem attack it, but maybe give them a means of escape?

Actually, this was based on Raven's Slumber (http://criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/Raven%27s_Slumber) from Critical Role. I let creatures inside attack it because otherwise it's basically just a cheap I-Win button (assuming the enemy fails their save).

Bow of Force looks uncommon to me.

Bow of Force
Cool.

Thanks! Based on a movie with a bow that did something similar. Can't for the life of me remember which movie right now.

Sword of Persuasion honestly doesn't even make it to uncommon. I'd rate it common. Also why is it a sword? Doesn't really feel right.

Sword of Persuasion
I like the ability (I sort of wish the rod of rulership had this feature alongside its charm effect), but like Ninja_Prawn, I'm struggling to see why this is a sword. Maybe a pendant or headpiece?

I'd originally make this thinking a paladin or someone or that sort would use it. But now that you mention it, it does sound more like a circlet. I think I'll go that way. Maybe give it a bit more features too.

Staff of the Hand... yeah, that's another common.

Staff of the Hand
Nothing to write home about, but not every item has to be super-powerful or super-cool.

Yea. It was just supposed to be a way for the Fighter in my group to use Mage Hand without wasting a feat. (he'd already taken the Champion archetype)

Dagger of the Thief can be uncommon. Inspired by The Last of Us?

Dagger of the Thief
Very distinctive and evocative ability. I like it.

I've actually never played The Last of Us. It's just something I thought sounded fun for my rogue. I'm glad you like it.

Shield of Sacrifice is sort of weird. I guess most people will use it to sacrifice 1 maximum HP to revive an unconscious ally? In which case you'd have to say it's quite powerful. Rare?

Shield of Sacrifice
The effect is too easy to game, in my view. If you're just about to take a short rest, for instance, you could reduce yourself to as low as 1 hit point and give someone a big heal, then just get it all back, three times per adventuring day (using the DMG assumption of 2 short rests during the day). I suggest recovering normal hit point maximum after a long rest. Now, if something like that's your intent, well and good, but it doesn't scream "sacrifice". Alternately, you can specify that your hit point maximum returns to normal, but your current hit points don't increase.

Ahh!! Good catch. I'd intended that the max HP returns after a short rest, but not current hit points. I'll add that for sure.

Boots of Supreme Accuracy seems like an uncommon, but maybe they should only work for melee attacks?

Boots of Supreme Accuracy
The ignoring difficult terrain thing and the effect for which the boots are named don't mesh, thematically, but they are boots, so I can see why you would add a mobility effect to them. Otherwise... nice boots.

I've already changed it to melee only. Good catch. The reason they're boots is that I'd originally made it for a Monk in my group that is notorious for rolling 1's. He never used weapons, so I had to come up with a piece of clothing that made sense.

Greatsword of Returning is clearly uncommon.

Sounds good.

Tome of Knowledge could use some stronger flavour. Why are the pages blank? Why does it sometimes make you mad? Mechanically, I can't rate it higher than common, even though this item feels like it should be a unique artifact.

Tome of Knowledge
I like this item. I'd be tempted, given the madness effect, to rename it the tome of forbidden knowledge, but that's just me.

Good idea on the name. It probably does need more flavor, and maybe a bigger (or another) effect. I'll ponder this.

Robe of the Powerful Mind is pretty nice. Solidly uncommon.

Robe of the Powerful Mind
I'd add that you have to be able to cast spells to use/attune to the item. Also... any level!? Wow. I'd be inclined to cap that effect at 7th level.

Definitely should require spellcasting. I'll add that. And yea, two 9th level spells per rest does seem pretty powerful.

Dark Edge of Insanity was clearly named by a teenager who thinks he's a lot more metal than he is. Also, I'd be more disturbed by an occasionally-blinking eye than a never-blinking eye, in the context of an inanimate object. I guess it makes rare.

Dark Edge of Insanity
Given the potential drawback, and given the axe's theme, and given how awesome its name is, I'd be inclined to increase the damage you inflict - or change it to a saving throw, with something like 4d6 damage plus a frightened rider effect on a failed save, and half damage and no rider effect on a success. I would also change the word order slightly: the convention used for spells and monster abilities is to describe the area of effect, and then describe what happens to what happens to each creature in the area - that is, something like this (using your original effect)

Already changed it to an occasionally blinking eye. Good idea. And I'd like to have it afflict enemies with a short-term madness effect if they fail a save, but that also makes for a lot of dice rolling on the DMs part. I'm still on the fence about it.

Sword of the Damned seems like it would be a pain to use in a pen & paper game. Frequently changing people's ability scores is just not worth it. Also the save vs. instant death bit makes it pretty much unusable for any but the most recklessly insane PCs. No, Lonely Blade, don't use it!

Sword of the Damned
Sweet. What a weapon. Definitely a... double-edged sword.

It's actually a modified version of Craven Edge from Critical Role, which Grog used quite a lot without any real issues. Until it ate his soul. /evilgrin

Double-edged sword, indeed!

Solution To Enhance Resistance Or Increase Direct Strength is good. +4 strength for 1 minute is a significant boost, and the item isn't consumed like a potion would be. I think rare is fair.

Steroids
Haha funny name. Also, nice item.

One of my players asked me very specifically if steroids existed in D&D, so I made this. :D

Chromatic Armor must rate as very rare, just for the number of resistances it packs into one attunement slot.

Chromatic Armor
IIRC the dragonborn breath weapons are similar, and whenever they have a 15-foot cone, the line alternative is 5 by 30 feet. So I would suggest either increasing the size of the cone, or decreasing the length of the line.[/quote]

Both valid points. I'll definitely take a closer look at the use effect.

Cloak of Ruin gives you strong buffs to both offense and defense. I'd rate it very rare, since it's stronger than a Mantle of Spell Resistance.

Cloak of Ruin
Another really powerful item.

Based on Kabal's Ruin from Critical Role. Believe it or not, it's actually pretty significantly less-powerful than the item it's based on.

Armor of the Old Gods is flat out better than a Helm of Comprehending Languages (though for some reason that one doesn't require attunement), so it should be rare.

Armor of the Old Gods
Not everyone who wears this will necessarily have a spellcasting feature, so you'd be better off specifying a DC: either a fixed DC, or keying of one of the user's ability scores (Wisdom or Charisma, I'd reckon).

Good idea. I originally had Warlocks in mind when I made this, but they won't always be the ones wearing it. Probably Charisma, I'm thinking.

Wild Robes must come from the Feywild! Magic Resistance is good enough to warrant rare, even with the WMS risks.

Wild Robes
Another quite powerful item. Also, wild magic surges are fun.

I was actually worried that this was underpowered. Guess I'll keep it as-is.

Cloak of the Mists is another very rare.

Cloak of the Mists
Cool item.

Thanks!

Massacre Sword has a powerful feature with a big drawback... I'm not sure how much weight each side should be given. Very rare? It's not totally clear what you mean by 'stacks' here. Is it that the effect's duration gets extended?

Massacre Sword
An interesting effect. I'd think, though, that for the ability to slay armies, getting more attacks would matter than posting bigger numbers on the number of attacks you normally get.

Yea. I'm definitely still iterating on this one. Haven't even decided if I want to stick with the written effect or scrap it for something else.

Boots of Speed need to be renamed; there's already an item by that name. Uncommon should do for these.

Boots of Alacrity
You can probably drop "character" from "character levels".

Already renamed. :) Good idea to simplify the wording.

Cloak of the Dawn is actually a blue cloak trimmed with black, not white-and-gold. What's the DC for Sunbeam? I guess it's got to be very rare.

Cloak of the Dawn
Nothing too special compared to some of the items here, but thematic and cool.

Not sure why it should be blue and black? Anyway, I added a DC to it.

The Ashbringer is legendary; perhaps it should be reformatted into an artifact.

The Ashbringer
Definitely should be an artifact. Also, 'demon' is a tag that is usually applied to creatures of the fiend type (all demons, for instance, are already fiends), so you don't need to specify it.

Frostmourne definitely needs to be reformatted as an artifact.

Frostmourne
Also must be an artifact. The damage scaling with every soul swallowed by the blade could get out of hand if someone hangs on to the weapon for a long time. Maybe put a cap on it or expend some of the bonus dice to create wraiths?

Both of these are based on the Warcraft weapons of the same name. Honestly, I'd never intended them to be used for actual play. They were just fun things to write.

Gnomish Ulitity Belt contains a spelling error - it should be 'utility'. It's kind of hard to rate, but must be rare at the least.

Gnomish Utility Belt
Holy smokebombs, Batman!

Batman was indeed the inspiration for this! The typo has been fixed as well.

Helm of Many Faces weighs in as uncommon. And a bit creepy.

Helm of Many Faces

I'm actually pretty happy you find it slightly creepy. That's what I was going for. Also, I wanted it specifically to change your voice in addition to appearance, which is why I didn't use disguise self for the effect.

Thanks for your thoughts!! I really appreciate it!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-06, 03:42 AM
Not sure why it should be blue and black?

What? Were you living under a rock in February 2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress)? No one I know talked about anything else for weeks! I think the fact that the wikipedia page is just titled The dress without any qualification emphasises how big of a deal this was.

Oramac
2017-06-06, 03:19 PM
What? Were you living under a rock in February 2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress)? No one I know talked about anything else for weeks! I think the fact that the wikipedia page is just titled The dress without any qualification emphasises how big of a deal this was.

Ahh! Yea I was around for that. I was trying to think of an in-universe reason for it and didn't connect the dots.

Composer99
2017-06-07, 08:23 PM
Thank you both!! Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town for a few days.

Also, I apologize in advance if I get a name wrong in a quote. :)

Ring of the Last Word

Weak? Really? Hmm. I was actually worried about it being too powerful. Originally it was simply "your spells can no longer be counterspelled". For an on-use idea, maybe 3/day using the ring to cast counterspell?

IIRC there aren't many creatures in the MM with counterspell as part of their innate spellcasting feature, or with it prepared.

DMs can always swap out other prepared spells for counterspell, but the bottom line is that, unless an adventure or campaign features a lot of spellcasters, anyone who wants this ring is using up a precious, precious attunement slot for something that is unlikely to benefit them nearly often enough to justify said use.

Edit: Granting the ability to cast counterspell helps. I'd suggest 3/day the attuned wearer can cast either counterspell or dispel magic​.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-08, 12:50 AM
but the bottom line is that, unless an adventure or campaign features a lot of spellcasters, anyone who wants this ring is using up a precious, precious attunement slot for something that is unlikely to benefit them nearly often enough to justify said use.

Oh yeah, I was going to say something like that too, before I got distracted by the dress.

Counterspell just isn't a threat to the vast majority of PCs, and attunement slots are a limited resource.

gavinator154
2017-06-08, 02:20 AM
Can I just say I love the Wild Robes? Though am I slightly disappointed there is no cheese to be summoned.