PDA

View Full Version : Half-Ogre

StickMan
2007-08-02, 09:41 AM
So I've always liked the Half-Ogre and in the setting I'm working on they will be some what common. Also Ogres are just going to basicly be a large species of orc. As such my Half-Ogre is basicaly just a enlarged version of my half-orc. My question is the half-ogre a good power level to be a PC race. I don't just mean well it should have a level adjustment I mean would you play it and feel it is strong. I've been thinking about uping the NA or the Str or may be both. Below is both my Half-Orc and Half-Ogre:

Half-Orc
Humanoid (Orc)
+2Str, -2Int, -2Cha.
Darkvision: 60feet.
4 extra Skill points at first lvl, 1 extra each additional lvl.
+1 to Natural Armor.
+2 Heal, +2 Survival.

Half-Ogre
Humanoid (Orc)
+2Str, +2Con, -2Int, -2Cha.
Medium Size.
Darkvision: 60feet.
4 extra Skill points at first lvl, 1 extra each additional lvl.
+1 to Natural Armor.
+2 Heal, +2 Survival.
Powerful build: As Half giant (XPHB)
LA +1

ImpFireball
2007-08-02, 09:56 AM
Half-ogre's are great for the spiked chain doohickery, and even greater if exotic weapon proficiency is allowed as a half feat.

However, there's also an improved reach feat I fabricated, in case you don't happen to be a half ogre. :smalltongue:

Edivad
2007-08-02, 11:20 AM
Full-blooded Orcs have +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma and no natural armor.

For half-orcs, I suggest keeping the +2 Strength, then giving -2 Intelligence and the choice of -2 Charisma or -2 Wisdom. The natural armor bonus should probably be removed. Also, the extra skill points only make sense if you assume they are as adaptable as humans, which they might not be.

Full-blooded Ogres have +10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma and +5 natural armor. They have a level adjustement of +2.

For an ECL +1 half-ogre, I would suggest +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity(they are clumsy as their ogre parents) -2 Charisma and the choiche between another -2 Charisma and -2 Intelligence.
Give them a +2 natural armor bonus.
Remove the bonus skill points, but keep the powerful build.
These half-ogres end up weaker than the published Half-ogres, which are widely considered extremely powerful for their ECL, being large, stronger and having more natural armor.

Also, why the bonuses to Heal? I can understand the ones to Survival, as they probably had to live in the wilderness...You are effectively giving them the same bonuses as the Self-Sufficient feat.

StickMan
2007-08-02, 01:10 PM
Half-ogre's are great for the spiked chain doohickery, and even greater if exotic weapon proficiency is allowed as a half feat.

They real are not playable for any thing else though.

Full-blooded Orcs have +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma and no natural armor.

Orcs in my campaign have Natural armor.

Also, the extra skill points only make sense if you assume they are as adaptable as humans, which they might not be.

Once more my campaign world so they are.

Full-blooded Ogres have +10 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma and +5 natural armor. They have a level adjustement of +0.

Full-blooded Ogres from the monster manual have 4 hit dice and a +2 LA

For an ECL +1 half-ogre, I would suggest +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity(they are clusmy as their ogre parents) -2 Charisma and the choiche between another -2 Charisma and -2 Intelligence.
Give them a +2 natural armor bonus.
Remove the bonus skill points, but keep the powerful build.
These half-ogres end up weaker than the published Half-ogres, which are widely considered extremely powerful for their ECL, being large, stronger and having more natural armor.
Half-ogres have been given a LA of +2 as of Races of Destiny. +4 Str and +2 natural armor seems like a good idea, Half-ogres are not anywhere nearly as dumb as full blooded ogres and are as skilled as any one else.

Also, why the bonuses to Heal? I can understand the ones to Survival, as they probably had to live in the wilderness...You are effectively giving them the same bonuses as the Self-Sufficient feat.

I real should give them Self-Sufficient I'm not sure why I did not. The bonus on Heal is there because they are going to be taking care of them selfs when they are injured, which may be often.

Edivad
2007-08-02, 01:27 PM
Ops, typo...you are right, Ogres are obviously +2 ECL(with some racial hit dice). Also, It makes sense that they would be self-sufficients: as half-breeds, they are most probably loners who had to wander around the wilderness alone at some point.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-02, 03:33 PM
Why exactly does the half-ogre have the Orc subtype?

StickMan
2007-08-02, 04:06 PM
Also Ogres are just going to basically be a large species of orc. As such my Half-Ogre is basically just a enlarged version of my half-orc.

I'm in this setting Ogres are just a large species of Orc. Which is what they basically are now anyway.

Edivad
2007-08-02, 04:18 PM
Just out of curiosity: in your setting, are Goblins and Hobgoblins in the same "family"of races as Orcs and Ogres? If so, you could also have half-Goblins and half-Hobgoblins.

A small idea, probably off-topic: it would be interesting if Hobgoblins were the result of a crossbreed between Humans and Goblins, just like Muls are a crossbreed between Humans and Dwarves. Hobgoblins retain the dexterity of their goblin parent while also being sturdier than either, like hybrids usually are - this perfectly explains their +2 Dex and Con!

StickMan
2007-08-02, 04:28 PM
I'm still working out what I'm going to do with the Goblins. My setting is going to have something of a scientific history to it. One of the PC races I'm working on actually watched the evolution of humanoid races. As such they can tell you at what times the Human, Orc, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, goblinoid, ect. split off from each other, by natural or godly sources.

Some races have been made recently you can view two of them in unfinished form here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48724)

StickMan
2007-08-02, 09:31 PM
So anyone actually have any opinion on the balance of any of these options?

Stormcrow
2007-08-02, 10:20 PM
Orogs from FR (printed in Races of Faerun) are Half-Orc/Half-Ogre?

Nocte
2007-08-03, 12:30 AM
I think they are ok, except for the +1 natural armor for the half-ogre, it's to much for LA+0.

Mmm and poor man, and specially woman, who have to actually do it with an ogre... :smallfrown:

StickMan
2007-08-03, 09:45 AM
I think they are ok, except for the +1 natural armor for the half-ogre, it's to much for LA+0.

The Half-ogre has an LA of +1. If you mean the +1 NA the half Orc gets, trust me its balanced, i've played it and it makes them very playable. I suggest putting next to the +1 halflings get on all saves. Whats more powerful the thing that protects you from swords or the thing that protects you from kill spells?

StickMan
2007-08-05, 08:57 PM
Ok then so I take it every one thinks I can take the strength up to +4 and the natural armor up to +2.