PDA

View Full Version : Online PnP roleplay?

ufo
2007-08-02, 02:48 PM
For some (long) time now, I have been looking for a way to play D&D (preferrably) online. Some of you might say "Look at the forums in these boards!", but I have found their games to die like that, and they're not newbie friendly (at all). So I call out and ask you, do you have any suggestion for a place online to find people to organize games with etc. Via a forum or IM or anything, really. There's only a single person in my area interested in D&D and we do play on occasion, but I have for a long time (forever) been longing to play.. 'real' games of D&D.

de-trick
2007-08-02, 03:09 PM
I know that most of the games die but if you find the 1 in 100 game that lives and does not die your set

Nahal
2007-08-02, 03:11 PM
I'm a big fan of AIM-based gaming as well.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-02, 03:31 PM
ufo, if you can get your hands Open RPG (http://www.openrpg.com/), I'm currently developing a home-brew setting and I'd be willing to run a game in it over Open RPG... send me a PM!

valadil
2007-08-02, 03:31 PM
I'm once again working on an app to play D&D in a web browser. Chat won't be too terribly sophisticated (my sample users plan on using ventrilo regardless how how fancy I make the chat) but it will be serviceable for chat/die rolling. The battlemap is slowing me down though. I'm embedding an svg doc inside firefox and modifying it with javascript. This won't be ready any time in the near future, but I'll make a big post about it when its in beta.

Reinboom
2007-08-02, 03:40 PM
go with openrpg or maptools, each for their own reasons.
openrpg is linked above, maptools is at www.rptools.net

They each have their own merits. MapTools is a bit more complicated (in my opinion) to get used to, but runs smoother and is much more pretty. OpenRPG is a bit more blatant in functionality, and has the server/rooms set up that makes grouping easier to do.

Matthew
2007-08-02, 09:39 PM
You could try: http://www.rpol.net/

Quietus
2007-08-02, 11:04 PM
[self-promotion]
http://vethedar.proboards25.com/index.cgi
[/self-promotion]

Vethedar is a play-by-post forum that I run, in a homebrew world where the humanoid races had been treated more or less as slaves and property by tyrannical dragon-rulers, until about 500 years ago. They still suffer attacks on a semi-regular basis, but the worst part of the war is over; Now they're struggling just to survive under the pressure of dragons trying to take back what they see as their rightful place.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, you seem to be looking for more of a chat-styled thing, but if you're interested, Vethedar will take as many players as want to join.

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-02, 11:06 PM
I'm once again working on an app to play D&D in a web browser. Chat won't be too terribly sophisticated (my sample users plan on using ventrilo regardless how how fancy I make the chat) but it will be serviceable for chat/die rolling. The battlemap is slowing me down though. I'm embedding an svg doc inside firefox and modifying it with javascript. This won't be ready any time in the near future, but I'll make a big post about it when its in beta.

Oh cool. Would it work on a mac?

kjones
2007-08-02, 11:10 PM
Oh cool. Would it work on a mac?

Seems like it would, since it runs in a browser...