PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Primal Path: Firestorm Berserker [PEACH]

Llama513
2017-05-27, 02:39 PM
Now that summer is here, I have more free time, and have been looking back at some of my old homebrew and in doing so looked back at my first homebrew the firestorm berserker (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkWIh7nsh), and it occurred to me that something feels off, but I can't seem to find it, so I thought I would post it here to see what you guys think of it.

Llama513
2017-05-27, 03:43 PM
Fixed the link, it should work now

Lalliman
2017-06-02, 08:00 AM
Perhaps the thing that feels off is that Ventilating Shout doesn't scale at all. As you level, it's going to become gradually less worthwhile, because the damage becomes less significant but the cost (an Action + ending your Rage) remains the same. It's not that bad, because it comes online at a fairly high level, and the barbarian's damage doesn't scale much at high level anyways, but it is unusual. Pretty much all abilities scale in some way. Either they increase in damage (cantrips), their resource pool becomes larger (ki abilities), their effect is universally useful regardless of level (Turn Undead), or their effect can be used in conjunction with other scaling abilities (Hurl Through Hell).

Perhaps lower the damage and make it usable as a bonus action. Then you won't have to give up your Attack action (which does scale thanks Rage damage and Brutal Critical) to use it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-02, 09:24 AM
Coooooool. Or sorry i mean hot hot to hot to touch.but i like it i have a goliath and half orc That need this.maybe even scourge aasimar

Llama513
2017-06-02, 07:06 PM
Perhaps the thing that feels off is that Ventilating Shout doesn't scale at all. As you level, it's going to become gradually less worthwhile, because the damage becomes less significant but the cost (an Action + ending your Rage) remains the same. It's not that bad, because it comes online at a fairly high level, and the barbarian's damage doesn't scale much at high level anyways, but it is unusual. Pretty much all abilities scale in some way. Either they increase in damage (cantrips), their resource pool becomes larger (ki abilities), their effect is universally useful regardless of level (Turn Undead), or their effect can be used in conjunction with other scaling abilities (Hurl Through Hell).

Perhaps lower the damage and make it usable as a bonus action. Then you won't have to give up your Attack action (which does scale thanks Rage damage and Brutal Critical) to use it.

That is very fair, and I hadn't thought of that, I also haven't played many high level campaigns, so I don't think that I would have thought of that at all, thank you. I will make that change and see what that feels like.

Lowered the damage to 5d10, and changed it to bonus action, do you think that should work