PDA

View Full Version : Combat Medic (Build Assistance)

SMac8988
2017-05-28, 10:05 AM
Hello all, looking for some build advice.

I am currently bouncing a bunch of ideas around on a character for an up coming campaign and one was something along the lines of a combat medic.

I'm unsure if there is a way to do something to that nature, without including magic or being a cleric, but if possible that's more my speed. I'm not someone who leans towards casters normally and prefer martial class.

Just curious if it is ddoable, I know there is the medic feat but is that all there is?

Sir cryosin
2017-05-28, 10:23 AM
A rogue Thief is what you want. With there fast hands ability potions, med kit and the feat healer. Carry a hand crossbow and pick up crossbow expert.

suplee215
2017-05-28, 10:29 AM
Although it includes magic, a paladin is pretty much a combat medic.

SMac8988
2017-05-28, 09:34 PM
I normally play paladins, which I love. I was looking for something a bit wonkier. I saw a rogue homebrew combat medic, that uses sneak attack dice to do stuff. But I can't find it now.

cooperjer
2017-05-28, 10:37 PM
I had a similar idea and build a character but never ended up playing it. The concept is that the character should be able to get anywhere on the battlefield to apply the benefits of a medical kit. I wanted to ignore creatures for the most part while moving so I felt the Mobile feat was important. I wanted to be able to use a healers kit to restore HP so I felt the Healer feat was important. In order to meet these goals I felt a Rogue 3 (Thief)& Monk X was a good combination. The Monk has 2 attacks at level 5 which allows the character to attack two different creatures on the way to an ally and ignore opportunity attacks as the moves past. When the character arrives at the ally it can use the bonus action to apply the healer's kit feature of granted by the Healer feat.

The monk type to use is up to you. I liked Way of the Opened Hand with the stun feature and Wholeness of Body. The Way of the Shadow monk may allow you to traverse more ground with the Shadow Step feature.

The drawback to this is a creature can only receive the 1d6+4 + Max HD in HP once per short rest; however, it can be "stabilized" to 1 HP with no limit. The net result could be a monk character that tries to stun an opponent then runs to the other flank of the combat to restore some HP on a barbarian, and then runs back to the original flank to hold it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-05-28, 11:01 PM
If you Homebrew I have a gift for you.your soul u wager for that which thee desires at yet be burning yet in equal fire. I trade the the information thou seek but it is given by vecna.http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/04/corpsman.html hand for a hand an eye for an eye.

Findulidas
2017-05-29, 12:39 AM
A rogue Thief is what you want. With there fast hands ability potions, med kit and the feat healer. Carry a hand crossbow and pick up crossbow expert.

You cant use a potion and a healers kit with fast hands. They both require action to use. As it says by page 141 DMG you cannot use fast hands to use items that explicitly say they take an action to use. Reading at both (p.151 PHB and p.153 PHB) they say they take an action.

I mean you can houserule it, but its not allowed normally.

djreynolds
2017-05-29, 02:59 AM
You cant use a potion and a healers kit with fast hands. They both require action to use. As it says by page 141 DMG you cannot use fast hands to use items that explicitly say they take an action to use. Reading at both (p.151 PHB and p.153 PHB) they say they take an action.

I mean you can houserule it, but its not allowed normally.

But a rogue can still dash as a bonus action with cunning action and then run over and apply a healer's kit as an action. And still a reaction in there for uncanny dodge.

Lombra
2017-05-29, 03:04 AM
Battle master with that maneouver that heals and healer's kit feat? Add in inspiring leader and refluff it as medical treatments instead of an inspiring speech.

Findulidas
2017-05-29, 03:13 AM
But a rogue can still dash as a bonus action with cunning action and then run over and apply a healer's kit as an action. And still a reaction in there for uncanny dodge.

Yes but what I mean is that rogues arent particularly better at it than other classes. Fast hands dont work that way.

Sariel Vailo
2017-05-29, 03:35 AM
In case the op didn't get what I meant the link is to a fighter battle medic Homebrew.

SMac8988
2017-05-29, 09:09 AM
In case the op didn't get what I meant the link is to a fighter battle medic Homebrew.

I saw. It's really awesome. I'm going to throughly look through it and what else I could do with it.