PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 101 things you'd want to do in an extreme/outdoor/racing sports RPG

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-01, 04:35 AM
Hi there traveler,

Like everyone else here I like to pretend I'm developing my own RPG, it's just so much fun to think about.

Right now I figure I've got a half decent set of mechanics to bring the world of extreme sports to life. Basically anything with a board, skis/skates, a bike, a car or a simple boat, and probably stuff on foot and on animals, because if they fit the mechanics why not (I'm currently considering how to do wind powered sports and stuff like parachuting well, those will probably make it too). The low level experience (not sure if it will even have levels in the strictest sense of the word, but you get the idea) will be a little more grounded in reality (with lots of corners being cut, but you get that idea as well), by the high levels you're playing out Point Break 2, XXX 4, Fast and Furious 20 or James Bond 225: The killing for dead is too real to be secret enough galore. The game will feature mechanics for things like social interactions, stealth and combat, but similar to how D&D is about half combat and half everything else, this game will be half extreme sports. And the mechanics incentivize that, if you punch this person you get to roll a few dice, if you race this person we pull out the "battle map" and the character sheets.

Now, normally any threads about that sort of stuff would go in the homebrewing subforum. But my dilemma is sort of peculiar. I'm not sure if the experience will in practice prove engaging enough. "Here's an orc, he's shooting at you" seems like a natural thing. You want to react to that. "Here's a mountainbiker, she wants to have a downhill race" sounds kind of Pokémon, and I'm not sure if that's cool enough to then build a major encounter around.

So, basically, I'm looking for raw ideas. No need to consider how something would work mechanically, that's my job (although you can if you want to of course). I would just really like input on what you would want to do if you were playing someone traveling the world, living off giving kayak lessons, entering boardercross competitions, doing search and rescue work and saving a small town from an avalanche every now and then. No idea is too big (overarching plot lines, sports that need to be in there?), yet no idea is too small (specific manoeuvres, types of events, differentiation between different ways to go down the same route?). I'm even happily accepting ideas for which parts you definitely wouldn't model to keep the game playing fast enough (cost of living, gear maintenance?) and ideas for non-sports stuff you would include (groupie mechanics, evil skateboarding vampires?)

Let's see what the Pkayground is made off.

TL;DR: You're playing a totally awesome extreme sports person, what would you want to do?

hymer
2017-06-01, 04:50 AM
Above all, I'd want there to be development to my character/race object. Whether it's winning money to get better equipment for a car, or my backhand volley getting better if I practice with it, I don't know.

Speaking of backhand volley, I'd probably also like a possible ranking system. Getting to be the acknowledged number one could be the goal of a campaign. This could also be a more informal rep system. In climbing circles I'm certain they have heroes and inspirers, even though I've never heard of them. This could also edge into a possible sponsorship and PR system, which would be important to some, but utterly unimportant to others.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I saw a documentary with Brian Blessed about his first attempt on Everest. It was pretty strange how the urge to climb (and walk to the north pole and stuff like that) came up in a man in his late fifties. It was agony while it was going on, but once he got home, that urge just kept nagging at him. I don't know if there is any system stuff to be gleaned from that, but this strange phenomenon fascinates me. It's very much the 'because it's there' reason to climb a mountain. Almost mystical.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-02, 02:57 AM
Thanks, that's the sort of feedback I'm looking for. I hadn't really considered tracking reputation separately from gear/money or total skill, but it makes a lot of sense. Fame itself can be both a goal and a tool (invitations to large tournaments, getting in to the good nightclubs) separate from the others. And a formal ranking system for any "scene" you're currently competing in, whether local or global (although global is more common in the real world I think), could help make competitions more interesting. See if you can get a formal match in with any player above a certain rank before the tournament begins, because if you win it you will shift up a rank and will not have to start in the qualifiers. I'm going to have to think about that one a bit.

hymer
2017-06-02, 12:28 PM
Another thought: I'd like to be able to rub it in if I'm winning perform stunts for aesthetic value. Stopping off to enjoy an ice cream cone from a local kiosk on a long run, riding one-wheeled on my motorcycle past my fans, making a flourish during small jumps on skis, etc.
Perhaps these don't need to be codified, but then again, many sports are inherently based on style points. If you're jumping from a balloon at the edge of the atmosphere as a competetitive sport, I'd say that style could be as important as any other way to measure who wins. An option to have this in your campaigns could be useful.

And how about a pep talk mechanic?

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-02, 01:22 PM
Another thought: I'd like to be able to rub it in if I'm winning perform stunts for aesthetic value. Stopping off to enjoy an ice cream cone from a local kiosk on a long run, riding one-wheeled on my motorcycle past my fans, making a flourish during small jumps on skis, etc.
Perhaps these don't need to be codified, but then again, many sports are inherently based on style points. If you're jumping from a balloon at the edge of the atmosphere as a competetitive sport, I'd say that style could be as important as any other way to measure who wins. An option to have this in your campaigns could be useful.

Right now there are three values to performance in a sport: speed (self explanatory), handling (for corners, mostly, maybe landing from jumps?) and stunt. And it's definitely possible to hold a competition using mostly (to keep it varied) stunting, like halfpipe skating, freestyle kayaking, figure skating, surfing etc. I'm just as happy to hear stuff I'm doing right as to hear things I can still improve.

And how about a pep talk mechanic?

I had something in mind like a "ones a day cheer your mate on well enough that he gets a bonus", but it seems kind of boring with an arbitrary limit to how often you can be really enthusiastic, which makes it a non-associated mechanic. You did just give me an idea though. If I work out how this feature can be fun the fans can be tied into it. If you do something extra, they cheer you on, giving you a bonus. It's associated and it rewards showing off, practically the perfect combo.

A longer pep-talk for a bonus over the whole event, I'll have to think about that for a bit...

(Also: the 3-post rule is for like, civilians, dude. I'm a rebel. Extreme!!! :smalltongue:)

hymer
2017-06-04, 11:52 AM
There's a three-post rule? :smallconfused:

Anyway, I was watching a bit of tennis. Perhaps you could have something about the psychological aspects? Psyching an opponent, breaking their good streaks, games called on account of darkness, etc.

jayem
2017-06-04, 12:35 PM
Motivation seems important (at least for part of it). You've got to want to overcome something.
In the classic fighting-rpg you've got the quest. And you often move on (most of your combats don't have a rematch).
In the classic sports movie, there's the girl/loan/war/evilwizard/brokentrainer, always something other story it's coupled with.

So I think you may want another (maybe even 2) 'games' that dovetail into it. So if it's collage story perhaps study/social/sports with some feedback between the three.
You might be able to just narrate them, or improvise.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-11, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am taking notes and seeing what I can do with this, I just don't have any comments on these at this point.