PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Flanking

JNAProductions
2017-06-02, 12:34 PM
Flanking gives you a bonus on melee attack rolls against the flanked target equal to half your flanking partner's proficiency bonus. (If you are flanking with multiple people, add their proficiency bonuses together before halving, to a max of a +3 final bonus on your attack rolls.)

Simple little change to flanking. There's more I could add (requiring you to be a credible threat, exact flanking dimensions, etc.) but I think simple is good. It's a small bonus at low levels, unless you gang up on an enemy, and scales to be a pretty dinger-dang nice bonus at high levels. As a bonus, it doesn't completely and totally invalidate the advantage mechanic!

Thoughts?

lunaticfringe
2017-06-02, 01:06 PM
I don't think it's OP. I do think flanking is kinda pointless in 5e accept higher level no/low magic items games. Making it scale just feels off Conceptually to me. What did you become more skilled at standing next to things?

Neat, wouldn't use.

lx66
2017-06-02, 01:54 PM
I agree that the use of proficiency seems weird.

How about offer a bonus to attack rolls based on how many people are flanking with a max of +3?

One to the other side would be a +1. Fully surrounded on all four sides would be +3.

Surrealistik
2017-06-02, 02:48 PM
I personally just prefer to add a flat +2 to the attack roll per 4e (Advantage for flanking per the DMG is crazy powerful, especially given that OAs aren't a thing unless you leave a threatened area normally). Clean, simple, easy.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-02, 04:03 PM
I personally just prefer to add a flat +2 to the attack roll per 4e (Advantage for flanking per the DMG is crazy powerful, especially given that OAs aren't a thing unless you leave a threatened area normally). Clean, simple, easy.

Yup. Alternatively ,just because I think it would be smoother from a DM Perspective, give the flanked creature -2 AC VS Melee instead of a bonus to the attacking creatures. Basically making being flanked behave more like a condition. Could just be me. I have heard lefties approach math weird and been accused of it.

I rolled 17, plus 6, 23
Hit. Roll damage.

I can do my simple Math & the player does theirs. I look at the board or whatever, okay that's flanked -2 AC.

nickl_2000
2017-06-02, 06:56 PM
Our table does a regular +1 to attack with flanking. It enough to make a difference without being necessary.