PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 or not) Magic Horse Shoes

jqavins
2017-06-09, 02:36 PM
Horseshoes are terribly overlooked for enchantment. The SRD has only Horseshoes of Speed and Horseshoes of a Zephyr. There a lot of other things that could be really good. For example, I have a character who commissioned a set of +5 shoes for his war horse. That was under AD&D with the DM's undisclosed house rules for the mage smith; under 3.5 I would probably have added some special abilities.

There are a good number of standard rings that could fruitfully be reworked as horse shoes, such as the various Protections and Resistances, Climbing, Evasion, Feather Falling, Jumping, Swimming, and Sustenance.

I'd like to see horse shoes (or a ring, for that matter) of Pass Without Trace.

So, playgrounders, what else ya got?

And what goes for horse shoes would, in many cases, go for dog collars as well.

rferries
2017-06-28, 05:25 PM
I saw your post in the 1001 magic items thread; here are some I whipped up for the various supernatural animals that classes can obtain (I restricted them to such creatures to justify the cost reductions).

Cap of the Familiar
This tiny conical cap is made from fine dark blue velvet and sewn with silvery stars and crescent moons. It may only be worn by the familiar of a sorcerer or wizard and grants the familiar the ability to use light, mage hand, and prestidigitation at will.
Faint universal; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, light, mage hand, prestigidigation. Price 900 gp.

Collar of Ferocity
This rough-hewn adamantine collar may only be worn by the animal companion of a druid or ranger. It grants its wearer a +6 enhancement bonus to their Constitution, Dexterity, Strength, and Wisdom scores.
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, bear's endurance, bull’s strength, cat's grace, owl's wisdom; Price 33,000 gp.

Horseshoes of the Celestial Steed
These four mythril shoes are affixed like normal horseshoes but may only be worn by a paladin's special mount. They grant the mount the celestial creature template and a fly speed of 40 feet with average maneuverability. All four shoes must be worn by the same mount for the magic to be effective.
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, holy sword. Price 20,000 gp; Weight 4 lb. (for four).

jqavins
2017-06-28, 06:34 PM
Cap of the Familiar
This tiny conical cap is made from fine dark blue velvet and sewn with silvery stars and crescent moons...
If the familiar is a monkey, can it be a red felt fez instead?

rferries
2017-06-28, 07:50 PM
If the familiar is a monkey, can it be a red felt fez instead?

Haha, but of course! That was my actually my original idea as well (just thought it was too specific to the one animal).