PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magical Tattoo Supplement (PEACH)

Crisis21
2017-06-09, 03:34 PM
This is homebrew material to supplement another homebrew for magical tattoo rules detailed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/4wjtde/a_guide_to_magical_tattoos_v_10/

Tattoo Artist Background

Skill Proficiencies: Medicine and your choice of Arcana or Religion.
Tool Proficiencies: Tattooist's Tools.
Languages: You may select one language of your choice that possesses a written form, including exotic languages.
Equipment: A set of comfortable clothes, Tattooist's Tools, A bottle of alcohol for sterilization, 5 bottles of different-colored ink, at least one visible non-magical tattoo, A pouch containing 15 gp

Feature: Symbolism

You've been around symbols for a good portion of your life. Symbols of all shapes and sizes, used in ways ranging from appropriate for their meaning all the way to anything but. If a distinct symbol is displayed openly, whether worn by a person or part of a structure, you are able to spot it easily. You can readily recognize most symbols and their traditional meaning and/or common use on sight, as well as what organization, if any, said symbol represents. Furthermore, you can remember any symbol or image design you've personally seen and if you were able to study it for at least a minute you can recreate it perfectly.

d8 Personality

1. I love my job and get excited at any opportunity to talk to others about it.
2. I'm very conscious of the conditions I work in and always make sure to sanitize my tools and clean my work area before beginning a session.
3. Gossip is my bread and butter, and my job gives me so many opportunities to hear some juicy ones. Or relate some.
4. I am cordial and polite to most everyone I meet. Which tends to surprise them given my choice of body decorations.
5. I'm very impolite and impertinent, and will often insult perfect strangers for no apparent reason.
6. I seek to intimidate everyone I come across, both through posture and body decorations, to establish my dominance.
7. I'm a troublemaker, and proud of it.
8. Those I like get a smile and a warm greeting. Those I don't get a rude gesture at minimum.

d6 Ideals

1. Apathy: I don't give a crap about your troubles, your beliefs, or your attitude. (Neutral)
2. Expression: I believe that a person's body is sacrosanct, and they should be able to use and act with it as they see fit. (Chaotic)
3. Professional: When I'm on the clock, how I feel about you doesn't matter, nor does how you feel about me. (Any)
4. Rebel: The government sucks about as much as the hole I live in, and anything I can do to show people that is time well spent. (Chaotic)
5. Empowerment: I believe in helping people feel more confident in themselves and their lives. (Good)
6. Alpha: I must seen as the one no one else dares to mess with. (Evil)

d6 Bonds

1. I hail from the bad part of town. I know all the local 'punks' and the guard know me by name.
2. I'm a loner.
3. I actually come from a fairly well-off family that is highly embarrassed with me.
4. I have managed to cultivate a professional and artistic reputation and often socialize in such circles.
5. My enemies know me better than my 'friends' do.
6. There is one special person in my life who knows the real me, and I would do anything for them. Anything.

d6 Flaw

1. Just as people judge me by my appearance, so too do I judge them.
2. I look down on anyone who doesn't have a tattoo as weak.
3. I lack interest in any subject that doesn't relate to my skills or interests and am incapable of paying attention for any length of time.
4. If I am allowed control of a conversation, I can and will talk everyone's ear off.
5. If I find someone unconscious, I have an intense urge to give them an embarrassing tattoo while they can't resist.
6. I secretly dislike, perhaps even hate, most of my clientele.

Rule Tweak: Tattoo time

The amount of time to properly tattoo a subject depends on both the size and intricacy of the tattoo.

Small tattoos roll d6.
Medium tattoos roll d10, reroll all 1s.
Large tattoos roll d20, reroll all results of 2 or less.

Simple tattoos require one die.
Average tattoos require two dice.
Ornate tattoos require four dice.

The time rolled is the total time required to properly finish the tattoo. This does not include breaks to rest or eat, and multiple sessions may be required for complex tattoos. The tattooist does not need to reroll the initial DC check (barring an attempt to correct a mistake as detailed below), but the subject may need to make additional CON saves for eack session.

Optional Rule: Mistake Recovery

If you fail the initial DC check to tattoo a subject (DC 10 for a simple tattoo, DC 15 for an average tattoo, DC 20 for an ornate tatoo) by 5 or less, you may make an attempt to salvage the work and complete the process. You roll an INT save at the same DC and add one additional die of the appropriate size to the amount of time taken, succeed or fail. You may not make additional attempts to recover your work if you fail by more than 5, fail three times in a row, or if the DM declares circumstances prevent you from attempting to correct your mistake.

Optional Rule: Sanitation Check

If the DM allows it, you may make a Medicine check before beginning a tattoo session. On a success, your subject gains advantage on their CON save to avoid disease.

Optional Rule: Alternate Design

At the DM's discretion, a particular tattoo effect may be accomplished by more than one design. The tattoo size may be decreased by one stage (from large to medium or medium to small) if the intricacy is also increased by one stage (from simple to average or average to ornate). The reverse of decreasing intricacy while increasing size may also be done.

ASI/Feat Tattoos:

With the DM's permission, and provided the player's character meets prerequisites, they may get a tattoo that imbues them with the power of a Feat, or alternatively +2 to one attribute (to a maximum of 20).

All such tattoos are both large in size and ornate in decoration.

Feat: Tattoo Artist

You've been inscribing tattoos on people so well for so long you could practically do this in your sleep.

Increase your Dexterity or Intelligence score by 1.
You gain proficiency with Tattooist's Tools. If you are already proficient, you may double your proficiency bonus with them.
If inscribing a magical tattoo, you may gain advantage on the tool check if you make a successful Arcana or Religion (as appropriate to the tattoo) check beforehand. In addition, when you succeed on a check to tattoo a subject, you may reduce the number of each die rolled for time taken by how much you passed the check to a minimum of half the die's maximum value (3 for a d6, 5 for a d10, and 10 for a d20).

Crisis21
2017-06-09, 09:09 PM
Hmm... I just found an edit of the UA Artificer here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6GeXkJY4hvfVEp1QXJCS3FVVjA/view) (takes the mechanical servant feature and makes that its own archetype, giving the other two new level 6 features) that makes me think... Would anyone be interested in seeing a Tattoo Artificer archetype that specializes in inscribing the magic on their own skin (and that of others)?

If yes, I'll give it a shot.

zeek0
2017-06-10, 12:25 AM
I love backgrounds! So I'll focus on that part for now.

I would cut out the painter/calligrapher tools option. It's mostly just clutter.

'Medical Supplies' aren't an item in the PHB, but a healer's kit is. But the healer's kit is for triage - not a tattoo artist's usual experience. I'd cut it entirely. You can assume that basic medical supplies are part of the tattoo tools, or take into consideration the paragraph below.

The Sanitation paragraph belongs in the personality traits. After all, I can imagine a dirty/grungy tattoo artist. Likely not a good one, but they surely exist.

I really like the feature, and the personality traits you've put together!

I think that ideals should be a bit more universal. The initial words are fine, but the description should apply beyond tattoos. For example, Expression could read: "I believe that a person's body is sacrosanct, and they should be able to use and act with it as they see fit."
This extends the ideal into a philosophy - you believe in free will, individual freedoms, and abhor rigid social pressures and slavery.

Now, bonds shouldn't just be a descriptor. They are a connection to the world. Who are you beholden to? Is there a place you would protect? Did you have a mentor? Do you seek redemption for something? Connect yourself to a specific thing or person or event - don't just describe your social status.

Your flaws are spot on.

As a final note, be sure to phrase all the Characteristics in the first person (I), not th second person (you). This helps the player step into the character's shoes a bit more.

I'm excited to add this to my homebrew pile. Thanks for the work!

(And yes, I would be entertained by a tatooist artificer.)

Crisis21
2017-06-11, 07:46 PM
Cool. Thanks for the input. Here's the revised personality/ideals/bonds/flaws stuff. Let me know if any of it needs additional adjusting.

d8 Personality

1. I love my job and get excited at any opportunity to talk to others about it.
2. I'm very conscious of the conditions I work in and always make sure to sanitize my tools and clean my work area before beginning a session.
3. Gossip is my bread and butter, and my job gives me so many opportunities to hear some juicy ones. Or relate some.
4. I am cordial and polite to most everyone I meet. Which tends to surprise them given my choice of body decorations.
5. I'm very impolite and impertinent, and will often insult perfect strangers for no apparent reason.
6. I seek to intimidate everyone I come across, both through posture and body decorations, to establish my dominance.
7. I'm a troublemaker, and proud of it.
8. Those I like get a smile and a warm greeting. Those I don't get a rude gesture at minimum.

d6 Ideals

1. Apathy: I don't give a crap about your troubles, your beliefs, or your attitude. (Neutral)
2. Expression: I believe that a person's body is sacrosanct, and they should be able to use and act with it as they see fit. (Chaotic)
3. Professional: When I'm on the clock, how I feel about you doesn't matter, nor does how you feel about me. (Any)
4. Rebel: The government sucks about as much as the hole I live in, and anything I can do to show people that is time well spent. (Chaotic)
5. Empowerment: I believe in helping people feel more confident in themselves and their lives. (Good)
6. Alpha: I must seen as the one no one else dares to mess with. (Evil)

d6 Bonds

1. I hail from the bad part of town. I know all the local 'punks' and the guard know me by name.
2. I'm a loner.
3. I actually come from a fairly well-off family that is highly embarrassed with me.
4. I have managed to cultivate a professional and artistic reputation and often socialize in such circles.
5. My enemies know me better than my 'friends' do.
6. There is one special person in my life who knows the real me, and I would do anything for them. Anything.

d6 Flaw

1. Just as people judge me by my appearance, so too do I judge them.
2. I look down on anyone who doesn't have a tattoo as weak.
3. I lack interest in any subject that doesn't relate to my skills or interests and am incapable of paying attention for any length of time.
4. If I am allowed control of a conversation, I can and will talk everyone's ear off.
5. If I find someone unconscious, I have an intense urge to give them an embarrassing tattoo while they can't resist.
6. I secretly dislike, perhaps even hate, most of my clientele.

As for the Tattoo Artificer, I'm thinking of making it a kind of summoner to parallel the Mechanist archetype (linked in the second post). As in, the main combat feature is that you have a big tattoo of a creature that can literally leap off your skin to perform tasks for you (what kind of creature is chosen when the archetype is gained, I'm thinking wolf, eagle, giant snake, big cat, horse, a bear maybe... suggestions?) starting off incapable of combat, but improving in similar manners to the mechanical companion of the adjusted Mechanist. And also to have the option of tattooing their 'Wondrous Inventions' to their skin, with the time taken being explained as the time needed to self-apply a tattoo without mucking it up. Imagine a 'Bag of Holding' in the literal palm of your hand.

zeek0
2017-06-11, 11:54 PM
Great! I like most of the changes.

Bonds still feel off. For me, bonds are something about the character that, when encountered in the game, the character feels bound to morally or emotionally, and feels bound to a certain action. This can create conflict and player interest.

For example, the Noble bond: "I come from a noble family and one day I'll reclaim my lands and title from those that stole it from me." This gives the player a goal, writes some history, and makes some preset allies and enemies.

Or, the Sage bond: "It is my duty to protect my students." This puts the character in the teacher role, and populates the world with students. It also implies that the character is drawn toward protecting those under his care.

I think a good bond 1) gives some character history, and 2) implies an imperative that the character feels she must follow.

For example, you might rewrite your 3rd bond as: "I come from a wealthy family, and they're embarrassed of me. But I'm fiercely loyal to them, and would help them through any circumstance."

I hope I'm helping, and not being overwhelmingly nitpicky.

---

On another note, I rather like your subclass idea! It seems interesting to me. If you decide not to use a combat creature, you could at least use a familiar.

Now that I think of it, many subclasses can be reflavored to involve tattoos. The totem warrior with animal tattoos. An arcane trickster with the tattoo of a grasping hand. Any feature in the game might be represented instead as a magical tattoo.