PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes in a World Without Night

WizardofOwls
2007-08-04, 07:29 AM
What is the best way to deal with lycanthropes in a world without night? I am thinking that the alernate creature (wolf, rat, bear, whatever) wants out as much as the human does so there is a constant battle for control of the body. Perhaps whenever the lycnathrope is in a stressful situation, or experiences extreme emotion, he must make a will check. If he fails, the other creature comes out for a set amount of time. Each time he makes the save a cumulative -1 penalty is added to the check until the creature is released at last. Maybe in some cases, if the human form is evil, the lycanthorpe can willingly release control to the creature.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Fuum Bango
2007-08-04, 08:08 AM
To be honest that sounds like a great way to do it!
You could add a barbarian way of going it, after a night of having trained men and women paint you up as the animal and wearing a dead animals fur, you can become it for the night.
Imagine a frail old barbarian woman with her face painted grey with black marks around her eyes and wearing a feathered cloak suddenly transform into a owl and fly off. :smallcool:

And to add to that, perhaps after a few nights of this, the lycanthrope gets a bunch of tribal marking all over him or her, binding the spirit of a animal to the barbarian. The animal may not want to be bound.

Fuum Bango
2007-08-04, 08:09 AM
Well, I say "night", I mean even more day.

TheGreatMrChibi
2007-08-04, 01:29 PM
An idea I have is that because the moon is so closely tied into the curse of the werewolf, perhaps even an image of a moon could trigger the change.

What I mean is, say your character is walking with his party through dungeon X. They enter some long-forgotten banquet hall, and on the wall directly behind the head of the table is a mosiac of a large, white circle, at least fifteen feet across. Suddenly, like flickering lights to an epileptic, it triggers a dormant part of his brain. Suddenly your character becomes irritable, violent... and hungry. His voice begins to take on a growl. What is it about that shape? he thinks, and he's drawn to it. He can't take his eyes off of it.

His pupils begin to diolate, gorging themselves with a makeshift moon on a planet gone wrong. And then, he's over the edge, past the point of no return, and the transformation begins.

....which basically means images of the moon might be reason to make a Will check.

Triaxx
2007-08-04, 09:09 PM
Here's an Item I made some time ago, that might be useful for you.

Ioun Stone of Morning Sun/Evening Moon
A sphere of ten inches around, glowing the bright red/yellow of the morning sun, or the pale grey/white of the evening moon. From the stones exudes a bright light, giving the wearer a powerful light source. This lowers their ability to hide (+2 to enemy spot checks), and gives others a bonus when shooting at them while concealed (+2 to hit roll).
Cost: 24,000 gp, Blessing of a priest of good or evil, 5,000xp

Solar Flare/Full Moonlight
Once per day, the stone is able to flare brightly, increasing the light, and the range of vision by 1d4 feet in dark places. This provides a +2 bonus to spot, and search checks.

Nova Flare
Usable once per day, the stone darkens momentarily, before flaring ten times as bright as during Solar Flare/Full Moonlight. Enemies must make a DC 18 reflex save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds, and Werewolves must make a DC 22 reflex save, or change forms involuntarily.

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-05, 11:16 PM
Well. Just because it's always day doesn't necessarily mean you can't see the moon. I've seen it a few times while the sun was still pretty high up. If it's constant noon, earth like moon is a stretch.

But, doesn't have to be an earthish moon. Might always be visible.