PDA

View Full Version : Shock Cavalry

HoodedHero007
2017-06-15, 06:48 AM
What would the best class, subclass, race, et cetera for building the ideal Heavy Cavalryman that engages in shock tactics?

Unoriginal
2017-06-15, 06:53 AM
If UA is allowed, I'd say Fighter Cavalier

HoodedHero007
2017-06-15, 07:00 AM
Besides for the benefits to being on horseback, which are limited to Born to the Saddle and Ferocious charger, there is nothing in that that says "Shock Cavalry", certainly not anything that would use shock tactics.

Corran
2017-06-15, 07:04 AM
I'd say your biggest dilemma is if to go with a medium race to get the most out of mounted combatant (3 levels in sorc perhaps for twinned enlarge?), or to go with a small race to bring your (medium) mount into dungeons and probably avoid mounted combatant?

No matter how you answer the above, I would probably look at at least 6 levels lore bard for find steed and probably also armor of aggathys (unless there is a better option that includes at least paladin 5). Meaning mostly, that I would definitely want find steed, and that I like armor of agathys on find steed too.

ps: There is a guide somewhere ''around here'' about a lore bard mounted combatant.

Unoriginal
2017-06-15, 07:10 AM
certainly not anything that would use shock tactics.

Define "shock tactics"

HoodedHero007
2017-06-15, 07:39 AM
Define "shock tactics"

A term used to refer to a rapid offensive designed to not only physically, but also psychologically attack the enemy.

The idea is to strike quickly and with overwhelming force to inspire retreat. In a D&D context, it would involve intimidation and/or ways of applying the "frightened" condition.

Fayd
2017-06-15, 07:51 AM
Ok so the snarky part of me says Druid mounts who have cast Call Lightning. Put paladin on top and that's ... actually pretty effective bust.

cZak
2017-06-15, 07:55 AM
A term used to refer to a rapid offensive designed to not only physically, but also psychologically attack the enemy.

The idea is to strike quickly and with overwhelming force to inspire retreat. In a D&D context, it would involve intimidation and/or ways of applying the "frightened" condition.

Unless magic is thrown in, I think the 'frightened' would be subjective; up to the DM

Mechanically
The only thing comes to mind is the Oathbreaker(?) with a Fear aura/ channel?
I don't recollect any ongoing, magical fear effect that would target multiple creatures.

Naanomi
2017-06-15, 08:03 AM
Shock cavalry are not solo affairs, it is about lined cavalry charges in mass formations... not something I'm sure we can emulate with small skirmish combat (maybe if everyone played a mounted character with this goal in mind)

PeteNutButter
2017-06-15, 09:26 AM
I'd say your biggest dilemma is if to go with a medium race to get the most out of mounted combatant (3 levels in sorc perhaps for twinned enlarge?), or to go with a small race to bring your (medium) mount into dungeons and probably avoid mounted combatant?

No matter how you answer the above, I would probably look at at least 6 levels lore bard for find steed and probably also armor of aggathys (unless there is a better option that includes at least paladin 5). Meaning mostly, that I would definitely want find steed, and that I like armor of agathys on find steed too.

ps: There is a guide somewhere ''around here'' about a lore bard mounted combatant.

I think Corran is talking about my fun three class cavalry man. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?523966-Complete-Front-Line-Leader-Knight-Support-Build

Overall I think people don't value mounted combat enough in 5e. It has some issues, but can work in most places. I'd always go for a medium character as it makes the feat very very strong. Mounted Knights are usually the first thing I try in any game that lets me.

Vaz
2017-06-15, 09:39 AM
Besides for the benefits to being on horseback, which are limited to Born to the Saddle and Ferocious charger, there is nothing in that that says "Shock Cavalry", certainly not anything that would use shock tactics.

Take a TRex. You don't need the feat.

But seriously, the Cavalier has historically been hamstrung by requiring a particulalry niche set of rules and having those niche rules completely taken away by not having the Mount available to the rider, due to circumstance like stairways, cliffs, difficult terrain etc. Why have all of those limitations on a useable character - either you force the party to lose any advantage they have by removing terrain they can use or showcase their skills, or you have one party member worthless.

Also, have a look at the new rules in the most recent UA. They're fun.