PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Possessed Class

Hypersmith
2017-06-15, 12:25 PM
So pretty recently I reworked The_doctor s cultist class. It's fun, but I don't think it's something PC will want to play because the niche is already covered by warlock. So I reflavored it pretty much, inspired by shadow of mordor (disclaimer I have never played the game the idea was just cool) and changed a few abilities a bit. Here you go! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XYZEHs730f8-XyDaioHgh22uUHhwCv6OWri0Rj9Dkso/edit?usp=sharing)

I'd love some feedback on it, I'm looking to launch it into playtesting soon.

EDIT: Homebrewery (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Skb06Olm-)

EDIT 2: Prestige class Varient (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJM3Ithmb)

Hypersmith
2017-06-15, 06:49 PM
Anyone gonna bite?

gooddragon1
2017-06-15, 11:40 PM
Anyone gonna bite?

I'm making something for 3.5 loosely based on it for fun. Not at all balanced though.

Hypersmith
2017-06-16, 11:33 AM
I'm making something for 3.5 loosely based on it for fun. Not at all balanced though.

That's cool! I am trying to balance this though.

There is a homebrewery (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Skb06Olm-) link up for the class as well now.

gooddragon1
2017-06-16, 12:16 PM
That's cool! I am trying to balance this though.

There is a homebrewery (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Skb06Olm-) link up for the class as well now.

I don't really know too much about 5e. From what I do know it follows strict damage output and attack bonus rules. So I'd make sure that you're not exceeding those if the spirit takes actions of its own or if it augments your own instead. Also, note that if it takes over roles that other classes would fill like the chameleon does in 3.5 that it should be less efficient by about 30% (chameleon gets 7th level spells as opposed to 9th level spells (or maybe I'm thinking of something else)).

Hypersmith
2017-06-17, 04:41 PM
Well I totally think it's balanced, but it's nice to get second opinions you know

zeek0
2017-06-18, 07:52 AM
Hello! Cool work. I just finished reading Pact by Wildbow, and this hit a similar spot for me.

I have a few thoughts, mostly about theme and design.

It seems odd to me that possessed characters end up being martial fighters. The most stereotypical of possessed seems to be a mage that studied too much, wasn't careful enough, or was desperate enough to make the wrong deal.

But certainly there's a place for fighters possesed by a lingering warrior, rangers possessed by a nature spirit, and rogues that broke into the wrong ancient tomb.

What I mean to say is that possession seems to be something that happens on top of an existing character, and doesn't happen as well in a vacuum.

Perhaps this would work best as a subclass, or a prestige class? That way I can have an existing character become possessed as part of their heroic journey to greatness.

Feel free to ignore my advice; I know that I'm asking for fundamental changes, and I'm not addressing balance (I can do so, if that's what you'd prefer).

Hypersmith
2017-06-18, 11:11 AM
Honestly I've been thinking very hard about making it a prestige class for exactly the reasons you mentioned - it's cool to be able to add it to your character as mechanical benefit and growth , like lycanthropy or vampirism, or even becoming part lich.

It would be harder to balance though - I'd want to keep the most essential features and make sure it's not overly weak or strong as an addition.

I think that would translate to keeping haunt and command, Protective companion, Symbiosis, and Ethereal nature. Haunt and Command could get two casts each at level 5. Maybe add Pure Flesh along with Ethereal nature to make it worth it.

I'm way less experienced with prestige classes in 5e, so it probably has some balance concerns.

zeek0
2017-06-18, 01:44 PM
Hm. Having no official prestige class to compare it to, I can only look at unearthed arcana and quality homebrew.

I think that I like the individual nature of the spirits the best, which obviously complicates things. But I feel that being possessed by a nature spirit would have fundamentally different effects than a ghost or fiend.

As such, perhaps one feature lies in common. But I think that, largely, you'll have wholly different features between spirits. I'll think on it more and see what I imagine.

Liran Sterling
2017-06-18, 03:05 PM
This seems like a great idea from a roleplay perspective, but only as a multiclass in some way.
I know this was probably a ton of work (having made some classes myself), but mechanically, this seems a bit off. I feel that if you created a sort of new system, allowing for existing characters of the other classes to become possessed, which would grant them more and more abilities as they leveled and embraced it, this could be really incredible.
So say I'm playing a Rogue Assassin. I become possessed by the spirit of a long-since dead master assassin, who has killed emperors and generals. It would allow me to become an even better Rogue Assassin, without requiring a whole new multiclass that is less specialized. Do you know what I mean? Sorry if this makes no sense, it's hard to put into words, and I don't want to tell you that your work is trash, because really, it's quite good, and I might use it in my campaign.

Hypersmith
2017-06-18, 06:10 PM
It's hard to reflect that mechanically without separate subclasses. Maybe you get to choose a skill to get expertise in to reflect your spirit? Or get to choose from a list of effects, like the totem subclass choices?

Liran Sterling
2017-06-18, 08:25 PM
It's hard to reflect that mechanically without separate subclasses. Maybe you get to choose a skill to get expertise in to reflect your spirit? Or get to choose from a list of effects, like the totem subclass choices?

that's what I was thinking though. Make basically a mini-expansion, with feats or something for every class and subclass you want. It'd be a lot of work, and like I said, what you have is a good class, this is just an idea I had.

Hypersmith
2017-06-25, 03:39 PM
I haven't gotten the hang of multiple types in a prestige class, but I do have a prestige class variant (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJM3Ithmb) now.