PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A quick guide to Homebrewing any weapon concept

Hillsy7
2017-06-20, 07:02 PM
So I've been playing around with this idea for a while because I've been building a heavily reflavoured campaign setting where, at some point I'm sure, someone is going to want to have a crazy weapon concept like a laser scythe, or a pneumatic wrist blade, or a Combat Frisbee (.......ok fine, it's a Chakram). Anyway, it got me thinking about how you would put things together in a way that matches the flavour of the weapon you want to create, and how the PHB weapons balance out when you pull the properties apart and put them back together in strange combinations (Such as wielding a finesse reach weapon in two hands)

I found some interesting things when you start analysing the PHB, and aside from a few exceptions, I've managed to recreate the majority of the PHB using this system exactly (the exceptions being the weapons most people get annoyed with - Trident, whip, blowdart etc etc).

So here it is Quick guide to homebrewing base weapons (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1X4J7QOPe)
The only tweaking I've had to do with the rules is to eliminate "2-handedness", and beef up the disadvantages associated with the Heavy property. I think I've managed to get it to work well and balanced, so it'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks of the pros and cons, and if they offset the tweaks I've done with Two-Handed weapons

Also please note, this isn't supposed to be a min-maxing guide. Rather its a way to use existing rules, to build those weapons that you think fundamentally define your character, but don't fit anything in the existing PHB.

Thanks for reading!

thestatusjoe
2018-05-29, 10:29 PM
So I've been playing around with this idea for a while because I've been building a heavily reflavoured campaign setting where, at some point I'm sure, someone is going to want to have a crazy weapon concept like a laser scythe, or a pneumatic wrist blade, or a Combat Frisbee (.......ok fine, it's a Chakram). Anyway, it got me thinking about how you would put things together in a way that matches the flavour of the weapon you want to create, and how the PHB weapons balance out when you pull the properties apart and put them back together in strange combinations (Such as wielding a finesse reach weapon in two hands)

This is great! I've been looking for a good homebrew design to create a longspear (one handed reach weapon) and this system works really well. It seems really well balanced too. :smallsmile: