PDA

View Full Version : PEACH New Guardian Familiar concept

AOKost
2017-07-03, 08:26 AM
I've been toying with this idea over in D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 page, and it was suggested I bring it here too.

I've been looking for a familiar for a specific individual in a game, and decided to homebrew one. I'm using Spark Guardian as my basis, but would love to have the Playgrounds help.

The theme I'm going for is that of a ring that looks like a dragon (think Sorcerers Apprentice, the movie). When it's worn, it functions as a normal ring (it could even be a necklace if it was larger). But I also want it to be an awakened construct.

So I present, the Ring Guardian

Type: Construct, Familiar
Size: Fine
Alignment: As Masters
Initiative: +5 (+5 Dexterity)
Language: Any it's Master knows
AC: 27 (+8 Size, +5 Dex, +4 Natural)
HD: d10 the Ring Guardian's HD total is determined by it's Master's Level. If it's Master is Level 1, it has 1 HD. DR 5/-
Saves: +0 Fort, +0 Ref, +0 Will
Speed: Base 10 ft, Fly 60 ft (Perfect)
Space: 1 inch by 1 inch by 1/16th inch
BAB: Same as Master
Attack: 2 claws +2 melee, 1 bite +2 melee
Full Attack: 2 claw attacks -2 each, 1 bite attack -2
Damage: Claws 1 point, bite 1 point
Ability Scores: Str. 2 (-8 size), Dex. 20 (+8 size), Con -, Int 3d6, Wis 3d6, Cha 3d6 or you could use 6 Int, 11 Wis, and 3d6 Cha...
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft, Guardian, Fast Healing 1, Find Master, Low-light Vision Damage Reduction 5/-
Feats: -
Skills: -
Advancement: Special. A Ring Guardian never increases in size due to increasing Hit Dice.
Climate/Terrain: Any
Organization: Solitary
Treasure: None

All guardian familiars use their HP even if it's more than their Masters. When used as a ring, the Master does not gain any of the normal benefits of the familiar's senses or movement.

Find Master (Su): No matter the distance, as long as it is on the same plane, a spark guardian can find its master.

Guardian (Su): A Ring Guardian can absorb a portion of the damage their Master receives. At their Master's discretion, the Master can shift up to 1/2 of the damage they take to their ring familiar.

I'd love if the familiar could act as a Kyber Spellstone from the Eberron campaign setting, allowing a Wizard to use it to store known spells as a spellbook...

Also, could it possibly be upgraded in any way as a standard construct? And if so, is there a list for such modifications?

Could anyone suggest a cost and prerequisites to craft? I figure it's going to be kinda expensive and probaly the gift to a wizard from a Master or Tutor of sorts...
Any suggestions?

rferries
2017-07-04, 05:36 PM
I've been thinking more about this, and I think it's balanced at just requiring Improved Familiar. Compared to Leadership/a cohort (a fully-functional PC, basically), this is just a (admittedly very) buffed Toughness.

Crafting-wise, I'd say Craft Construct (or Craft Wondrous Item), ability to summon a familiar or cast shield other, plus maybe locate creature.

AOKost
2017-07-05, 01:21 PM
Could it just be an alternate Familiar type? There's already plenty of feats to change your familiar's type... I'm hoping to try and have a character basically start with it, and give it the basic familiar progression. Yes, it is in some ways tougher than most familiars starting out, but I don't feel it's too op. Maybe give it the standard familiar stats, and at level 7, one could take Improved Familiar to roll dice to increase it's mental ability scores... I've also though about it being given as a gift to a graduating student to overcome the level requirements for crafting.

rferries
2017-07-05, 06:32 PM
I think it depends on the power level of your games (just as my wizard revision does). Your familiar is much more powerful than any of the standard animal familiars so it would normally require a feat or some other kind of investment, but if the DM allows it for free then no worries!