PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Aethelm's Astounding Array of Wizard Spells [PEACH]

ArtificialElf
2017-07-12, 11:24 AM
OK, as suggested by the title, this is a set of spells I've been working on for a while for a wizard character, mainly to offer more battlefield control and utility options. I've tried to make them as simple to understand as possible after my minor conjuration homebrew which was too complex and poorly explained to get across the idea :smalltongue:. I hope you like them (and actually understand them :smallwink:) and please let me know what you think.

Aethelm’s Force Ribbons
3rd-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S, M (a length of blue ribbon)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You hold your hand to the sky, releasing 3 ribbons of blue magical force. When you cast this spell, and as a bonus action on your turns thereafter, you may create any of the following effects with the ribbons, which need not be the same for each ribbon:
Forceful Ribbon. You may use a ribbon to push a creature or object within range 10 feet in any direction. An unwilling creature may make a strength saving throw to resist this effect. A creature makes a single save for all ribbons used, and this does not use up the ribbon.
Entangling Ribbon. You can attempt to restrain a creature with the ribbons. Make a ranged spell attack against a creature within range. On a hit, a small or smaller creature is restrained. Larger creatures can be restrained with more ribbons; one additional ribbon must hit for each size category above small. A restrained creature may use an action to make a strength check against your spell save DC, freeing itself on a success, and destroying the ribbons. You may also restrain a creature with additional ribbons. If you do, a successful strength check only removes the number of ribbons needed to restrain the target.
Coiled Ribbon. You can also coil a ribbon, turning it into a missile of magical force. Make a ranged spell attack against a target within range. On a hit, a ribbon deals 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier force damage. This destroys the ribbon.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the spell creates one additional ribbon for each slot level above 3rd.
I like this spell because it, quite like Bigby's hand gives the caster a variety of options - debuffing, battlefield control, along with some minor damage. The only effect I'm really worried about is the entangling effect; hence why I required additional ribbons with medium or larger targets. It could be changed to require a save, but that doesn't do anything particularly unique and I feel that the harsh size limitations as well as the fact that restrained isn't the most debilitating condition should provide enough balance.

Microclimate
2nd-level transmutation (ritual)
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a small glass orb filled with holy water worth 25gp)
Duration: 24 hours

You form a transparent bubble of magic around yourself within which you can control the climate. You can change the temperature within the bubble to anywhere within the range of freezing to uncomfortably hot - though not enough to deal damage. You can also increase or decrease precipitation from none to fairly heavy, and change wind speed or direction, up to a moderate wind.

These changes have no impact outside the bubble, which has no effect on reducing damage from outside the bubble. Similarly, weather extreme enough to cause damage, cause flooding, or push the player cannot be held out by the bubble. Creatures and objects can pass through the bubble normally, though mist, fog, and odours not strong enough to poison or damage the player are hedged out by this spell.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the radius of the microclimate - which remains centered on you - increases. The radius is 10 feet at 3rd level, and increases by 10 feet for every level above 3rd.
We already have some awesome utility spells for protection such as Leomund's tiny hut and Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion. But I felt a nice low level ritual to make travel in more extreme climates easier (by preventing exhaustion from climates not extreme enough to actually deal damage) was missing, as well as a nice low-level, localised control weather spell. Oh, and walking around with a personal comfort bubble seems very aloof wizard to me :smallbiggrin:.

The reason the spell is such a low level (and a ritual) is simply because I intend the spell to be used as a fluff/showy spell, rather than offering concrete mechanical benefits. I think we could use more spells like that - RP should always be the focus IMO.

Aethelm's Enchanted Acid
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a vial of acid)
Duration: 8 hours

You place an enchantment upon a single vial of acid you touch, enhancing the liquid. For the duration, the acid deals 4d6 acid damage when splashed over a creature. Additionally, the acid can be thrown into the air and sent to a named creature or object within 120 feet, using your spellcasting ability modifier for the attack roll.

The acid clings to a target when hit, causing it to take 2d6 acid damage at the end of each of its turns until it or another creature uses an action to wipe the acid off.

The acid can also be used against objects, dissolving anything normally affected by an acid at a rate of one cubic foot per minute. The acid cannot be reharvested and may simply be poured over a named object, negating the need for an attack roll. Once used, the acid can dissolve only a single target, and if the target is not destroyed after 10 minutes, the acid wears off.
Once again, this spell is aimed more at utility - since the default and only mundane acid in the PHB does just a single instance of 2d6 acid damage - to creatures and objects. I feel like the damage is OK,
because while it has the potential to rack up, it can be easily prevented from causing major harm by a creature, or one of it's minions in the case of a powerful foe. If we assume a creature takes one round of extra damage, that puts the damage on par with scorching ray. And by dealing damage at the end of a creature's turn, there is the potential for even less damage at the cost of a single enemy action.

Once again, if you have any questions, please ask, and constructive criticism is much appreciated (along with positive feedback :smallbiggrin:). And yes, I know Melf's acid arrow is (in most cases - as it's additional damage is non-preventable and does damage on a miss) worse than Aethelm's enchanted acid. But I'm of the opinion that that spell is too weak - I mean the DMG suggests a spell like that should be dealing 3d10 single target damage :smallconfused:.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-12, 11:55 AM
Ive got some spells to should i put them up.

ArtificialElf
2017-07-12, 12:05 PM
Ive got some spells to should i put them up.

I mean if they're fitting with the theme, I don't see why not :smallbiggrin:. I'd be interested to see what other creative rather than purely mechanical spells people can come up with, along with any response to my original spells.

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-28, 09:21 PM
I know its been quite some time since you have had a reply so im unsure if you will see this but, i love both the ribbon spell and the acid spell. The climate control isnt my style but still very cool

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-28, 09:57 PM
Gigantify. Just do enlarge but increase two size categories and add damage to your weapons.6th level spell powdered gold 1 action

Shrink reduce to size categories and make it a 5th level spell reduce damge dice two categories an action powdered copper 1 action

Elewnens elegan estate a bigger better version of mordenkaines magnificent mansion with. Increase size categories by twice as much add servants and enough ale or wine for a dwarven drinking festival and a five course banquet. It has 10 large sized rooms of noble quality walls lined with books and a den a library as well as a rose garden. Its a 8 th level spell it requires the componets of the mansion modeled out of a dragons tooth and inlaid with gold.ladts 24 hours and takes two hours to cast.

For Gigantify and shrink i dont know what an adequate buff or debufd time for spell to run out woul be.
Also Sariels Suculent Striptease 7th level enchantment

Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

Choose one creature that you can see in range. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell. The target begins a strip tease routine. In addition to dancing and preening, the target spends his or her Action taking off armor, clothing, accouterments, etc. The creature spends its movement stripping in his or her space without leaving it and has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws. At the end of the creature's turn he or she may make a Wisdom saving throw to end the spell. If you give the creature at least 5 gp as a bonus action each round on your turn he or she will have disadvantage on the Wisdom saving throw. Can be willing

ArtificialElf
2017-07-29, 06:23 AM
I know its been quite some time since you have had a reply so im unsure if you will see this but, i love both the ribbon spell and the acid spell. The climate control isnt my style but still very cool

Well, fortunately I did! I really appreciate that - I wanted to see how people felt about some more control / utility spells - since to me those are far more interesting (and potentially powerful) than simply blasting fireballs.

Gigantify. Just do enlarge but increase two size categories and add damage to your weapons.6th level spell powdered gold 1 action

Shrink reduce to size categories and make it a 5th level spell reduce damge dice two categories an action powdered copper 1 action

I totally agree that enlarge/reduce could use a more potent counterpart; the spell seems awesome but the mechanical benefits are less exciting...
How about something a bit like:

Gigantify/Minimise
5th level transmutation
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bamboo shoot and powdered gold worth at least 10gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You cause a creature or an object you can see within range to grow larger or smaller for the duration. Choose either a creature or an object that is neither worn nor carried. If the target is unwilling, it can make a Constitution saving throw. On a success, the spell has no effect.

If the target is a creature, everything it is wearing and carrying changes size with it. Any item dropped by an affected creature returns to normal size at once.

Gigantify.
The target’s size quadruples in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by sixty four. This growth increases its size by two categories – from Medium to Huge, for example. If there isn’t enough room for the target to double its size, the creature or object attains the maximum possible size in the space available. Until the spell ends, the target also gains a +10 bonus to Strength checks and Strength saving throws. The target’s weapons also grow to match its new size. While these weapons are enlarged, the target’s attack with them deal 1d12 extra damage. Additionally, the target deals double damage to objects and structures.

Minimise.
The target’s size is quartered in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-sixty-fourth of normal. This reduction decreases its size by two categories – from Medium to tiny, for example. Until the spell ends, the target also has a -10 penalty on Strength checks and Strength saving throws, and advantage on Dexterity checks and Dexterity saving throws. The target’s weapons also shrink to match its new size. While these weapons are reduced, the target’s attacks with them deal 1d12 less damage (this can’t reduce the damage below 0) and the target deals no additional damage on a critical hit.

Let me know what you think, I could add it to the list :smallsmile:.

Elewnens elegan estate a bigger better version of mordenkaines magnificent mansion

I'm not so sure magnificent mansion needs a bigger version - the thing's huge and already seems to be an upgrade of tiny hut :smallwink:. I was however considering a more potent demiplane spell - one which could probably hold all the drunk dwarves you desire.

Also Sariels Suculent Striptease 7th level enchantment

:smallwink: For those wizards who just aren't satisfied with the performance of Otto's irresistible dance.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-29, 01:33 PM
The origional idea was a wizard whi wanted to do better tha. Mordenkainen and take his dumb naming scheme i just made the eatate as a bigger more luxurious. Place that after eatin and drinking gives the ability to go a day without eating and the wine gives poison resisitance and advantage agianst fear saves its more than a mordenkains mansion its elewens elegant suck it to mordenkainen but sariel the bladesinger wizard is just obsessed with a good time .but i wanted to seperate the gigantify minimize as a form of which would be more useful rouge needs to stealthily enter compound minimize.

ArtificialElf
2017-07-30, 10:10 AM
The origional idea was a wizard whi wanted to do better tha. Mordenkainen and take his dumb naming scheme i just made the eatate as a bigger more luxurious. Place that after eatin and drinking gives the ability to go a day without eating and the wine gives poison resisitance and advantage agianst fear saves its more than a mordenkains mansion its elewens elegant suck it to mordenkainen but sariel the bladesinger wizard is just obsessed with a good time .but i wanted to seperate the gigantify minimize as a form of which would be more useful rouge needs to stealthily enter compound minimize.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you'd need to separate the growth and shrink effects - as with enlarge/reduce you can select either effect upon casting the spell. Combining them into a single spell simply means you don't have to prepare two spells - you could still use whichever option was more helpful at the time of casting, such as shrinking a rogue for increased stealthiness. Also, my main concern with the estate spell is that it too closely mimics the 6th level spell heroes' feast, which is not on the wizard spell list and gives very similar benefits (poison immunity and frightened immunity, among others). Then again, the concept of combining the two spells is a neat idea :smallbiggrin:.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-30, 11:56 AM
Isnt heros feast a cleric spell yes. I combined them out of necessity my dm is usually the only person who plays any type of healer.m usualy a wizard fighter or paladin and well i didnt want to paladin and neither did the dm want to use a dmpc either so i kinda went well do do doot.
Spell combination more higher level spell for both effects.

However if its more versatile ill keep the gigantify and minimize spells together ala enlarge and reduce.I'm looking at your take amazing however what's the duration on the spell I like everything else is amazing.
Their also vicious cockery cantrip enhancement
The target gets slapped by an invisible **** It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and be stunned unless it succeeds a wisdom saving throw or is atacked.
Should it be a spell of a level