PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blood Sorcerer

dropbear8mybaby
2017-07-13, 08:44 AM
EDIT: Updated.

This is total stream of consciousness, first draft design. Just a starting point to get some feedback on it. Since it's Homebrewery, it will change as (or if) I work on it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJ-HSh5NHb

Foxydono
2017-07-15, 07:31 PM
I really like the idea of a blood sorcerer. I made one myself in 3.5 that used his own hp for casting spells. Looking at your version it seems rather strong and open for abuse. Lets say you are 14th level and cast a fireball that kills 8 goblins. This would mean you get 8x14=112 temporary hp. This in itself would be too strong, especially of there are a lot of weaker enemies. But next turn I can cast a spell that does an extra 112 dmg!

At higher levels I could kill a Tarasque and take over his body. That would be something. True polymorph could learn a thing or two from that :)

If you can limit the amount of temporary hp you get that would balance the other ability as well. You could put a limit to the amount of temp hp you can gain (like max three times your level). The last ability you can add that the deceased creature can have no higher challenge rating than your current level. That should make it more balanced, but those are just some ideas.

dropbear8mybaby
2017-07-15, 07:59 PM
I really like the idea of a blood sorcerer. I made one myself in 3.5 that used his own hp for casting spells. Looking at your version it seems rather strong and open for abuse. Lets say you are 14th level and cast a fireball that kills 8 goblins. This would mean you get 8x14=112 temporary hp. This in itself would be too strong, especially of there are a lot of weaker enemies. But next turn I can cast a spell that does an extra 112 dmg!
One creature equals one source of THP. THP sources do not stack. That's a default rule for THP.

So it would only be 14 max at 14th level, and it only counts levels in the sorcerer class for the THP. So no multiclassing shenanigans.

At higher levels I could kill a Tarasque and take over his body. That would be something. True polymorph could learn a thing or two from that :)
Any humanoid. A tarrasque isn't a humanoid. Currently the best humanoid in the MM is a warlord. It would give you 20 Str, 16 Dex, 20 Con. Which is awesome, but it's at 18th-level. So it's not like you can dump Con for 18 levels in the hope that you can eventually find a warlord's body to inhabit. And it's not like 20 Str is great on an 18th level sorcerer. And it could actually be a negative since Dex is a great score for a sorcerer to invest in so you may actually be lowering your Dex to 16.

demonslayerelf
2017-07-15, 08:16 PM
It seems like just a bit much.
Just a bit, particularly with the level 3 and level 18 abilities.

The level 3 ability allows you to burn 3 HP for 1 Sorcerer Point. On it's own, it's not much.
But with the level 18 ability, all you would need to do is find a powerful Fighter. Maybe you go to find a particularly old Monk or Fighter, but that's a Humanoid(Probably) you can take over- And as a Sorcerer with 9th level spells, let's face it, that won't be too hard if you get the drop on them- with high Dex and Con.

Your Con raises, and that increases your Health. At 18th level, let's say your Sorcerer has a Con of 14. You were lucky. Now you have an additional 54 HP.
And you can turn that into SP, and then into Spell Slots.

It's not too much, but when you put those together, you're getting quite a bit more health, which you can then just turn into ammo.

dropbear8mybaby
2017-07-16, 12:31 AM
It's not too much, but when you put those together, you're getting quite a bit more health, which you can then just turn into ammo.

Yeah, but it's also 18th level. Most of the capstones are pretty broken. Druid for one would still be more powerful than this and it's not like there's an unlimited amount of sorcery points you can spend in a turn, plus they all expire at the end of the day. All it really does is mean they'll never run out.