PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a Monster Campaign Discussion

mrhere
2017-07-13, 10:19 AM
Hey all!

I'll post a bunch of links to great character stats you can use for creating a monster campaign below. That's the thing though... I've got the means to build awesome and balanced monstrous characters, but I'm still working out the plot.

Here's what we've got so far:

The players must choose from the following races: Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orc, Bugbear, Gnoll, Ogre, Kobald, Kenku, Tiefling, Minotaur, Okiti (ratfolk), or Troll, (other races are pending).
The characters are part of a roving band of monsters—loosely inspired by Robin Hood's Merry Men—who are attempting to stand up against the injustices they have witnessed against their people. Too many times now, ruthless and greedy adventurers have slaughtered and intimidated the settlements of monsters, monsters who are not the horrible evil creatures they have been made out to be
Also, somewhere in the world, there is a terrifying nation-state, uber religious, that is wiping out and/or enslaving monsters in a mass culling

I've had a few interested players ask if this will be an "evil campaign" and I'm inclined to say, no. However, I want moral choice and moral dilemmas to be a big part of this. Obviously, many of the characters will be evil, but I don't want the campaign itself to be based on evil. In fact, my intentions are to make this very tongue-in-cheek, very wacky and funny. Hopefully then, when something dark or evil happens, its impact will be that much stronger.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else ever run a Monster Campaign? What was the story? What worked and what didn't?
Cheers!

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-13, 03:02 PM
What about half orcs.drow mindflayer.just some other questions will their be any evil monsters giving the predjudice will they be forced to kill their own kind.
Will they only fight humans and elves.

mrhere
2017-07-14, 02:21 PM
Initially and primarily, I think they will be fighting humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings (and maybe other humanoid races too). But the group will definitely be clashing with other monsters as well, as many other monsters will have different ideas of how to deal with the Culling. That's why I didn't include Drow or Mindflayers as player races, I think they would make great rival monster groups. Although, if the player really wants to play as one then that's cool too.
I want to introduce a lot of infighting within the group as well, maybe some members defect or make a rival group.

Half-Orcs?... maybe. I think I want the races the players choose to be full-monster, not half monster. If someone really wants to play as a half-orc I'm game, as long as they put in a convincing backstory on how their half-human heritage affects their standing in the group.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-14, 03:08 PM
Initially and primarily, I think they will be fighting humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings (and maybe other humanoid races too). But the group will definitely be clashing with other monsters as well, as many other monsters will have different ideas of how to deal with the Culling. That's why I didn't include Drow or Mindflayers as player races, I think they would make great rival monster groups. Although, if the player really wants to play as one then that's cool too.
I want to introduce a lot of infighting within the group as well, maybe some members defect or make a rival group.

Half-Orcs?... maybe. I think I want the races the players choose to be full-monster, not half monster. If someone really wants to play as a half-orc I'm game, as long as they put in a convincing backstory on how their half-human heritage affects their standing in the group. hey love is love unlike in actual dnd where orcs usually dont ask for love and take it... In your aetting it could happen and the human mother be a noble princess and the king sees her and his trusted orc smith run away together and have the culling begin in that kingdom becaus a weak king was going to trade away his daughter To another kingdom.