PDA

View Full Version : Un-Entreri-like Assassin

Otto-Sieve
2007-08-07, 01:37 PM
What are some good ways to roleplay a rogue/fighter and make it not like Artemis Entreri.

( This is not an insult to entreri's literary personality, or Bob salvatores writing ability, i just want to make an original story and RP concepts for my new character.)
Also, i want to make him stealthy and sneaky, but not a coward, and he loves to fight, but i don't want him to be a brute, but an intelligent warrior.
He will probably take rogue 20 or rogue 16/fighter4 or Nightsong enforcer 4, so he will be more of a thief than i fighter.

How could i roleplay this effectively??

and for those who don't know: Artemis Entreri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Entreri)

Any suggestions or opinions will be welcome.

spotmarkedx
2007-08-07, 01:55 PM
Watch the Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OAVs, and then modify to fit:

You have a weapon style that is all but unmatched, and you find the status quo of banditry / murder / slavery / ppoverty / etc. in the world to be unacceptable. You align yourself with [insert probably revolutionary orginization here] who intend to break the current corrupt government, and you will lead the way by removing the powerful members of your enemies. You know that you will probably die young. You know that "swordsmanship" is really nothing more than glorified murder. You will be awash in blood to cleanse that is impure from the world.

Now fix to match your group and world.
Why are you adventuring? Are monsters one of the things that you find the current govenrment does too little about, that you feel that you need to personally deal with, or are you working on training your skills to the point that your enemy's personal guards (Shinsengumi) will not be able to stop you even if they catch you?

Is the current government actually benevolent/good? Perhaps you feel they are too soft on the subversive elements and bandits, and resolve to deal with such problems yourself. etc.

Hope this helps, even if you don't use the full concept.

Tyger
2007-08-07, 02:00 PM
This is going to come accross as snide, but I can't think of a more pleasant way to say it... anyway you want?

There are unlimited possibilities for you to play any character. Who says that just because your character is a rogue or rogue / fighter he would be anything like Artemis??? Conan would be a rogue / fighter. James Bond would be a rogue / fighter. Neither are anything like Artemis.

Give your character the personality that you want to play and run with it. Problem solved.

BardicDuelist
2007-08-07, 02:08 PM
Don't make him an evil asassin.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-07, 02:20 PM
well this is easy, Bob salvatore gave you the perfect example of a char, jarlaxe, the almost exact opposite of the evil assassin. Just take away the whole evil thing and you have yourself a smart sneaky, killing machine who likes a good fight.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-08-07, 02:27 PM
Chaotic Good Drow Ra-*gunshot*

*falls to flloor bleeding*

mostlyharmful
2007-08-07, 02:27 PM
I'm a personal fan of not talking up your sneakiness, let actions speak for you and never boast about what you've done. Nothing says smooth professional more than getting in, getting the job done and poisening the Well and food stores on the way out allbefore anyone notices you. I remember a fantastic story arc of chasing down a smart sabatour rogue with a hat of disguise. It took us two months and we never left the besieged castle.:smallannoyed:

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-07, 02:28 PM
well, like to have the power to boast, and use it.

SITB
2007-08-07, 02:32 PM
Make him like a Discworld-ian assassin.

"We do not murder. We do not execute. We do not massacre. We never, you may be very certain, we never torture. We have no truck with crimes of passion or hatred or pointless gain. We do not do it for a delight in inhumation, or to feed some secret inner need, or for petty advatage, or for some casue or belief; I tell you, gentlemen, that all these reasons are in the highest degree suspect. Look at the face of a man who will kill you for belief and your nostrils will snuff up the scent of abomination. Hear a speach declaring holy war and, I assure you, your ears should catch the clinck of evil's scales and the dragging of it's monstrous tail over the purity of language.

No, we do it for the money.

And, because we aove all must know the value of human life, we do it for a great deal of money.

There can be few cleaner motives, so shorn of pretence."

Raolin_Fenix
2007-08-07, 03:14 PM
Things that have already been mentioned here: you play him however you want. Actually, no offense to Mr. Salvatore, but if you don't want to play him like Artemis Entreri, just give him one weapon (instead of Artemis's two-weapon style), and don't be a self-absorbed jerk.

Always describe his devil-may-care grin when he goes into combat or attempts a robbery which is ridiculously risky. Use key phrases like, "C'mon -- it'll be fun!", "What's the worst that could happen?", "You worry too much about the little things," "Okay, nobody panic -- we can still salvage this," "Hey, don't worry; I have a Plan," and "Right, then; time for Plan B. RUN!" If you want to be a little goofy, one of my bard characters got one-shot KOed; my response was:
He stares at the monster in shock, then looks down at his bleeding abdomen. Then he looks back up, and draws a deep breath. "And for my next trick... I shall... bleed profusely from horrible wounds." He looks back down at his bleeding gut, and up again. "... Tada." And he drops to his face, unconscious.

Have him laugh -- maybe even cackle softly -- when a well-sculpted Plan goes off perfectly, without a hitch -- or when it blows up in his face and everything's reduced to a brawl or a chase scene! You can maybe make clever use of Intimidate checks, (since you're Batman and all) combining them with feats to make them last longer than a single round and/or affect multiple targets, as you describe the way your laughter echoes hollowly around the darkened chamber, seeming to come from every direction at once and yet (since he's Hiding) from no apparent source.

Finally, you're a Rogue -- you can afford to blow max ranks in one or two fun little "fluff" roleplay skills. Like, for example, "Craft: Booze." The Reflex save DC against this Good Times spell-like ability is approximately 40. Theoretically possible, with hard work, dedication to the cause, a magic charm, a hefty Circumstance bonus, and the Devil's own luck, but unlikely even then.

Pokemaster
2007-08-07, 03:24 PM
If you want to do the exact opposite of Artemis Entreri, you kill people for gold and no other reason. If an employer tries to goad you into killing someone for free to prove your skills, not only do you turn him down, but you also stab him in the face to get the point across. If you're hired to kill someone who's as good or better than you, you either run the other way or ask for more gold, which you then spend on items or hired hands that will give you a massive advantage.

Matthew
2007-08-07, 06:23 PM
Uh, yeah, just base it on another Assassin Character?

Otto-Sieve
2007-08-07, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody.:smallsmile:

More suggestions will still be appreciated.