PDA

View Full Version : What would be a preferred weapon for a 5e Paladin?

CrackedChair
2017-07-16, 06:51 PM
I've considered a standard Longsword and shield, but there are other choices too, like a Greatsword. Weapons are a big choice for martial classes, but I just can't decide. Can somebody point out big winners?

nickl_2000
2017-07-16, 06:58 PM
The weapon of choice of the god/dess that they follow?

For versatility you cannot go wrong with the longsword. With the versitial property they can be very effective for whatever you need in a fight. Also, there are a lot of stock magical long swords out there

SaurOps
2017-07-16, 07:00 PM
The longsword is great, but you can't ignore whips, flails, morningstars, throwing axes, darts, daggers, and vials of holy water.

(The darts are there because we don't have boomerangs.)

vasharanpaladin
2017-07-16, 07:05 PM
Spears and hammers seem appropriate. Besides being weapons, one is traditionally a means of providing sustenance, and the other is a tool of creation. Both things that the ideal paladin should be able to do as well; when not defending the innocent, he can provide for them as well.

Unoriginal
2017-07-16, 07:17 PM
Warhammers are hardly tools of creations, though.

JackPhoenix
2017-07-16, 07:34 PM
I'll assume you're not talking about fluff.

Well, it depends on your build. For sword and board, it doesn't really matter if the "sword" is longsword, warhammer, battleaxe, rapier or something else. For mounted combatant, lance is good, because you can keep your mount (and yourself) out of trouble thanks to reach, and can use shield for extra protection... while still doing great damage. Polearms are some of the best weapons if you have PM (that bonus action means another chance for smite), while greatswords and mauls (and their slightly worse cousin, greataxe) are good for any strength based melee build. Rapiers are good for dexadins (who propably go S&B), and whips offer reach for the same. Everyone should have ranged option, whether thrown weapon (which trades less range for greater accuracy and damage if you're Str build) or longbow (even is you aren't str build, that range may be worthy trade for lower attack and damage). Generally, crossbows aren't that great, because you can't use them with Extra attack, though (and you may have problem with drawing additional throwing weapons).

Cl0001
2017-07-16, 08:43 PM
The paladin I'm playing now has a great sword, 5 javelins and a heavy crossbow. I usually envision paladins with swords, spears, shields and maces.

Finger6842
2017-07-16, 08:43 PM
I'll assume you're not talking about fluff.

Well, it depends on your build. For sword and board, it doesn't really matter if the "sword" is longsword, warhammer, battleaxe, rapier or something else. For mounted combatant, lance is good, because you can keep your mount (and yourself) out of trouble thanks to reach, and can use shield for extra protection... while still doing great damage. Polearms are some of the best weapons if you have PM (that bonus action means another chance for smite), while greatswords and mauls (and their slightly worse cousin, greataxe) are good for any strength based melee build. Rapiers are good for dexadins (who propably go S&B), and whips offer reach for the same. Everyone should have ranged option, whether thrown weapon (which trades less range for greater accuracy and damage if you're Str build) or longbow (even is you aren't str build, that range may be worthy trade for lower attack and damage). Generally, crossbows aren't that great, because you can't use them with Extra attack, though (and you may have problem with drawing additional throwing weapons).

This quote from JackPhoenix is called wisdom... only thing to add is carry two different types of damage like piercing and bludgeoning or slashing and bludgeoning because different NPCs will have resistance. With a good DM description you will be able to tell and adjust. This applies to both mêlée and ranged. Good hunting.

scalyfreak
2017-07-16, 11:24 PM
Warhammers are hardly tools of creations, though.

My only active character right now uses a blacksmith's hammer as a war hammer. So obviously I found this post amusing.

Arkhios
2017-07-17, 12:10 AM
My only active character right now uses a blacksmith's hammer as a war hammer. So obviously I found this post amusing.

He has a point though, sarcasm aside. Blacksmith's mallet hardly matches the size of a warhammer.

Laserlight
2017-07-17, 12:15 AM
I've considered a standard Longsword and shield, but there are other choices too, like a Greatsword. Weapons are a big choice for martial classes, but I just can't decide. Can somebody point out big winners?

Dagger. Because nothing says "I slay thee not with mere mortal steel, but with the fire of angels!" like sticking him with a letter opener and then Smiting.

djreynolds
2017-07-17, 12:37 AM

It really depends on the level, with that said a glaive/halberd coupled with 11th levels improved divine smite and PAM is huge. Even stronger since you can use GWM

IMO, in the long run say around 8th level or 12th level, I would look to select PAM and grab a polearm.

But look at your oath and what concentration spell you will have up and running... bless, SoF, hunter's mark, divine favor, or a smite spell

OoV and vow of enmity is great with GWM... but only versus 1 enemy and I would have bless working or hunter's mark.... improved divine smite and hunter's mark and 3 attacks is very nasty

OoD sacred weapon is awesome but it takes an action and I will usually cast a smite spell as a BA on that turn so the next turn I have +charisma to hit a smite spell and divine smite ready to go.

Both of these archetypes are saving their short rest channel divinities for a big engagement

OoC you might want S&B for the extra AC and shield of faith as you are drawing agro

So initially I wouldn't worry about weapon lay out until you get closer to 11th level. And leave open the possibility for different weapon packages.

And as a paladin, I would 80% of the time grab defensive style.

Carlos Barreto
2017-07-17, 12:44 AM
I think is a matter of style.

Longswords and shields are good, because Divine Smite is a great source of Paladin's damage, even with one-handed weapons.

Greatswords deals more damage, not because of it's damage die (2d6), but also because you can have Great Weapon Master feat. This feat is a must if you are wielding Greatswords.

Polearm is a also a very powerful option, specially if you have Polearm Master and Sentinel feats. It also enjoy the goodness of Great Weapon Master feat. It's very feat intense, however, because 3 feats not only requires you to be a Variant Human, but also requires you to trade 2 ASIs for 2 feats, leaving you with just 3 feats (assuming you don't take 2+ multiclass levels), so you can't max out both Str and Cha. If your DM allows Unearthed Arcana material, combine it with Tunnel Fighter for greater effect.

scalyfreak
2017-07-17, 12:53 AM
He has a point though, sarcasm aside. Blacksmith's mallet hardly matches the size of a warhammer.

This one does. Because I said so. (And because it fits the narrative and the GM said it was okay.)

It has the same basic design as the hammer in this video (https://youtu.be/otCfAuuG92g), but without the spikey side... not exactly the oversized type of war hammer most fantasy art shows, but I personally think it looks deadly enough. And it fits my character, so she carries it around.

ghost_warlock
2017-07-17, 01:53 AM
It's like everyone always forgets about the maul.

Unoriginal
2017-07-17, 02:39 AM
This one does. Because I said so. (And because it fits the narrative and the GM said it was okay.)

It has the same basic design as the hammer in this video (https://youtu.be/otCfAuuG92g), but without the spikey side... not exactly the oversized type of war hammer most fantasy art shows, but I personally think it looks deadly enough. And it fits my character, so she carries it around.

While it would be an effective warhammer, it wouldn't be a good blacksmith's hammer.

Of course saying I'm not going to say you're doing badwrongfun because you said "it counts as X". Just saying that in real life, both the warhammer's handle and head make it not a good forge tool, the same way that the handle and head of a blacksmith's hammer make it not a good weapon.

Pex
2017-07-17, 02:41 AM
If the DM allows Great Weapon Style to work on smites, then any two handed heavy weapon. If not, long sword, shield, Duel Style is it. Other styles are fine if that's what someone wants, but since you're caring about the weapon I'm guessing offensive power is more important to you.

By the rules Great Weapon Style works on smites. By developer tweet it does not. Some say because that wasn't the intent, others because they thought the extra seconds it takes to reroll the dice is the apocalypse.

If it does work, the paladin will have a large amount of spike damage overall. That is a feature, not a bug. Do not be afraid of the large numbers. Monsters have the hit points it's needed.

Oh, is my bias showing? :smallsmile:

scalyfreak
2017-07-17, 02:44 AM
While it would be an effective warhammer, it wouldn't be a good blacksmith's hammer.

Of course saying I'm not going to say you're doing badwrongfun because you said "it counts as X". Just saying that in real life, both the warhammer's handle and head make it not a good forge tool, the same way that the handle and head of a blacksmith's hammer make it not a good weapon.

Yes, of course. But that's where creative side of things comes in and makes things work just because we want them to.

Chugger
2017-07-17, 02:56 AM
So many variables. Are you role playing? Are you just concerned w/ max damage output? Do you want to try to "tank" and protect casters from attack? What?

Polearms have reach and a complex feat you can look up in the phb (polearm mastery). I'm lying, it's not really complex, but my experience so far has been that people w/ it forget to use it. You get tired playing - or you probably do (most players do). You forget it has 10" reach. You forget you have the feat, or you forget to constantly monitor how the DM moves (or describes movement if theater of the mind) and see if enemy movement triggers a reaction attack and so on (so it is actually complex compared to normal DnD fights).

Will you even remember to make the bonus attack strike if you go w/ polearm mastery - will you remember to add your str bonus? Will your DM let you ever use your reaction attack from the feat, or will he or she "cheat" and have monsters psychically know you have it and never trigger it? Never underestimate some DM's cunning and lack of scruples in this regard.
Are you a str fighter or a dex fighter? If you told us, I didn't notice. Most go str but dex is always or almost always a competitive option - if you understand how to use it and make the most of it.

Great Weapon Mastery feat can be awesome - and can be just buckets of swish (i.e. you miss a lot). I'm still trying to figure out when to take it and when to use it - is it better than PAM and if so how much better? I would read the phb and re-read it and set up versions of your char and get out your dice and a monster manual and test drive various weapons and see how you like them - just practice - actually imagine your char fighting a goblin or an orc or a zombie and roll the dice and write down how it goes and see how it feels. But study the PHB and try to make sense of the weapons, the melee system (do you know what finesse means, for example?) - and the feats - and come back - and ask more refined questions maybe (and that way you'll get better advice). Someone here will help you.

Spore
2017-07-17, 07:53 AM
I feel a blunt weapon and a sword should be the minimum you carry. Because undead and people you don't want to kill you use the blunt weapons. With more serious enemies you'd use the sword. I know it hardly matters in D&D but usually a stab wound is harder to treat than a blunt injury.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-17, 08:08 AM

Your right the blacksmithing mallet is bigger then a Warhammer.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-17, 08:10 AM
I feel a blunt weapon and a sword should be the minimum you carry. Because undead and people you don't want to kill you use the blunt weapons. With more serious enemies you'd use the sword. I know it hardly matters in D&D but usually a stab wound is harder to treat than a blunt injury.

Blunt trauma is way harder to treat then a slashed wound.

GlenSmash!
2017-07-17, 01:52 PM
It's like everyone always forgets about the maul.

Personally, I love the Maul. it's like D&D's Super-Sledge.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-17, 03:43 PM
Tavern Brawler for FISTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

greenstone
2017-07-17, 05:44 PM
Whatever has the most plusses.

Heh.

But seriously, my advice is a 1H weapon and a shield. Smites require concentration, so the fewer times you are hit, the fewer saving throws you have to make.

JellyPooga
2017-07-17, 06:04 PM
I've always liked the idea of a Quarterstaff wielding Paladin;

- It's a Polearm (apparently) that qualifies for PAM. Good for multi-Smiting.
- It's Bludgeoning, for bashing skellies.
- It's handy as a walking stick, for taking justice wherever it needs handing out.
- It's just a stick. You can find one anywhere and no-one gives much thought to it as a weapon.
- There exist many magical staves, some of which are really very powerful.

Coidzor
2017-07-17, 06:14 PM
If Half-Orc, then Greataxe and going two-handed fighting, probably as a Vengeance Paladin. Or the 1d10 polearms if going Polearm Mastery.

If non-Half-Orc, then either Greatsword or Maul if going two-handed, or Pike/Glaive/Halberd if going Reach weapons or basically any 1d8 one-handed weapon if going sword and board, though the Versatile ones are better in that corner case where you can't get your shield on or it's destroyed or something.

If going with Polearm Mastery, then a Sword and Board Paladin could get a lot of mileage out of a Quarterstaff, and if they multiclass or take Magic Initiate, then you can get Shillelagh to always have access to a magic weapon for bypassing resistances or immunity.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-18, 04:51 AM
For pure optimization:
Polearm Master, Dueling Style* + Quarterstaff**
Polearm Master, Great Weapon Style + Halberd***
Half Orc + Battle Axe***
Great Weapon Style + Greatsword***
Dueling Style* + D8 sword

*Dueling Style's +2 to damage affects your average roll to the extent that it is like rolling a die 2 sizes larger. So a d6+2 is equivalent to a d10, etc. The max damage you can roll is less, so it's less valuable on Crits, but the minimum roll is also higher, making it a more reliable, less "swingy" curve.

**This is a controversial one. Some people rule that the Quarterstaff cannot benefit from PAM or that it must be used with both hands to benefit from PAM. According to RAW however, you can use a Quarterstaff in one hand and still make both attacks plus the bonus d4 attack, all benefitting from Duellist, while behind a shield no less. Working back from the above notion that "average damage with Duellist is 2 die sizes larger" means that you're effectively rolling 2d10+1d8 for damage. The average with QStaff and Duellist is 15.5+3Str. The average for a Halberd would be 13.5+3Str.

***Weapons which benefit from Heavy Weapon Master are somewhat tricky. Generally, the more damage an attack could do, the less it pays off to use GWM's -5/+10. Paladins can't boost damage if they miss the base attack. However, if you're the kind of player who, as a rule, only Smites on a Crit, then the GWM -5 doesn't really matter; you don't factor the Smite damage into a "regular" hit, and a Crit auto-hits anyway.
Moreover, if you're a Devotion paladin, you can go Blessed for +3 To Hit, and more or less negate the -5 altogether.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-07-18, 05:48 AM
My current paladin, who's halfway through Curse of Strahd, is a halfling with the Criminal background (he's a reformed ex-con).

Because he's a halfling he can't use big weapons anyway, so I made him dex-based. He wears leather armour and dual wields short swords; with the Magic Stone cantrip (from the EE players companion - got at 4th level via Magic Initiate - it seemed fitting for a halfling) as a back-up missile weapon.

I've no idea (and don't really care) whether or not these are "optimal" choices. He's a fun character to play, and that's what counts.

Tanarii
2017-07-18, 09:58 AM
Realistically, it doesn't really matter. You're going to switch to the first magical weapon that lines up with your fighting style you find. One handed for dueling or protection, two handed for gwf, or anything for defense.

Arkhios
2017-07-18, 10:19 AM
My personal preference is probably a bit biased from years of playing diablo2+LoD and WoW somewhat simultaneously with D&D.

So, from actual weapons my choices would be (and is for my current) a warhammer or a maul. Secondary choice would be longsword or greatsword, or perhaps a mace or flail.

Fists, as seen in the video above, or a shield (enabled by same feat btw) would be my tertiary choices for giggles :smallbiggrin: