PDA

View Full Version : Favourite level 5 Wizard spells?

Tyger
2007-08-07, 08:26 PM
Just hit 9th. Oh, let the gravy train begin rolling! But there are so many choices, and so much consternation!

So, what are everyone's favourite 5th level spells, from both PHBs and the SC? Leaving aside the obvious Teleport.

I must admit, while I know its completely sub-optimal, I am extremely tempted by Fireburst. Targetted 5' square fireballs, which will cause damage again on the next round if the target can't move? 9 of them, at 9d6 each? Lead off with a Black Tentacles for instant crispy goodness.

Any other neat ones that I am missing? Keep in mind, we're talking about the first two level 5 (and likely only level 5s for a while) that the character will have.

Gralamin
2007-08-07, 08:29 PM
Just hit 9th. Oh, let the gravy train begin rolling! But there are so many choices, and so much consternation!

So, what are everyone's favourite 5th level spells, from both PHBs and the SC? Leaving aside the obvious Teleport.

I must admit, while I know its completely sub-optimal, I am extremely tempted by Fireburst. Targetted 5' square fireballs, which will cause damage again on the next round if the target can't move? 9 of them, at 9d6 each? Lead off with a Black Tentacles for instant crispy goodness.

Any other neat ones that I am missing? Keep in mind, we're talking about the first two level 5 (and likely only level 5s for a while) that the character will have.

Banned evocation? Then Shadow Evocation
Otherwise, Overland Flight, Baleful Polymorph, Feeblemind, Wall of Stone, Prying eyes.

Tyger
2007-08-07, 08:29 PM
No schools banned, this caster is a generalist.

Seffbasilisk
2007-08-07, 08:34 PM
Dominate Person
Hold Monster
Telepathic Bond

Fire Shield, Mass
Contingent Energy Resistance

Godhand
2007-08-07, 08:42 PM
It does come down to what your wizard needs. If you need a good defensive spell, Greater Blink or Contingent Energy Res. are nice picks. A good Battlefield control? Wall of Stone is a fantastic spell. Hold Monster and Feeblemind are great save or lose spells. If you really need that blaster spell, Cone of Cold or Arc of Lighting can have their uses.

Those are just a few suggestions, just pick the spell(s) you think you'll use the most.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-07, 08:54 PM
well in SC theres a few including

wall of dispel magic, if you face alot of other casters.
vitriolic Sphere, just great for damage 6d6
arc lightning, fun for people who feel the need to stand to close together.
wrack, good far anybody with a low will save
spirt wall, great if you feel like your being followed, and you dont wnat to be.

My vote goes to dispeling wall or wrack.. if not those then lightning, have fun hope i helped.

Chronos
2007-08-07, 10:32 PM
Even if you didn't ban evocation, Shadow Evocation. It has the great advantage that you choose what it is when you cast it, so you don't have to worry about not having the right spell prepared. It also fills in any gaps in your evocation spells known, and lets you make Everburning Torches at no cost.

Fabricate can let you make all sorts of mundane tools or structures, when you need them.

And Telekinesis can grapple enemies, throw things at them, or reach things on high shelves.

Everyman
2007-08-07, 10:51 PM
I'll have to give the nod to either Telekinesis or Fabricate, as both are a lot of fun in the right hands.

One allows you to do silly, silly things with heavy objects and individuals, both lifting and throwing.

The other turns you into the ULTIMATE handyman.

Xaros
2007-08-07, 11:36 PM
How about Cloudkill? CON damage is always useful.

kjones
2007-08-07, 11:54 PM
I know it's not a terribly exciting choice, but there's a lot to love about Summon Monster V. Celestial Brown Bears are a powerful anti-caster tool; assuming they don't dismiss them outright, Improved Grab is always a good time.

Leon
2007-08-08, 01:59 AM
Bufos Hex

(Baleful Polymorph used to turn the target into a Toad, the name is from a old edition of Warhammer)

Saph
2007-08-08, 05:08 AM
My wizard's just hit level 9 as well. For fun, it's hard to beat Overland Flight and Teleport, both great travel spells. And if you're out of combat, Fabricate is a perfect spell to have sitting around.

If you just want brutal combat effectiveness, though, go for Hold Monster and Baleful Polymorph. Both effectively mean death, but one's a Will save and one's a Fort save.

- Saph

Falrin
2007-08-08, 05:30 AM
Wall of stone:

Cast a grease, web or solid fog. Surround it with a wall.

Metamagic:

Sculpted Black Tentacles
Quickened Grease
Twin Ray of Exhautsion

Teleport:

Depends on Campaign , but probably a life saver.

Telepathic bond:

Very Nice if you're party is the sneaky, wandering type.

Dominate Person:

As A DM I hate this, nothings say 'Oops' like a Buffed BBeG Wizards Meatshield turning around.

Hold Monster:

'Instant' Kill Low Willsafe-types of any race.

lord_khaine
2007-08-08, 05:34 AM
ill go with overland flight myself, its hard to beat all day flight for standart defence against melee buggers.

Lord Tirian
2007-08-08, 05:38 AM
Telekinesis. Very useful and versatile. With the Violent Thrust option, you can hurl a bunch of greatswords, with combat maneouvre, you can grapple enemy spellcasters into submission and with sustained force, you can wreak havoc with a rogue or fighter (or their weapons).

Ikkitosen
2007-08-08, 08:53 AM
Baleful Polymorph for anything with a crap Fort save.

Wall Of Force for battlefield control, and for buying some time!

Cruiser1
2007-08-09, 11:54 PM
Summon Monster V (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterV.htm) is indeed a frequently underestimated spell. Use it to bring in 1d3 monsters from the Summon Monster IV (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterIV.htm) list, such as Mephits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm). Look at all the varied spell like abilities the different Mephits get, to see how versatile of a spell this really is.

Transmute Rock to Mud (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transmuteRockToMud.htm) is a fun battlefield control spell. It's like the popular Solid Fog in that it reduces speed to 5 feet, except it affects a much greater area and is shapable from the beginning. It has other uses too, such as making tunnels, dispelling it to trap enemies in stone, and can even do direct damage if cast at the ceiling when underground.

Greater Fireburst is a great blasting spell, doing 9d10 damage (at least in the newer SC version, where the CA version of the spell is weaker) instead of a mere 9d6 damage from most nukes at level nine. The downside is the spell always affects a 15 foot radius around you (except your own space of course), hence this spell works better in a 6th level slot with the metamagic Sculpt Spell.

Daelon
2007-08-10, 10:40 AM
I'm relatively certain the OP was talking about Firebrand, not either of the Fireburst spells...

That being said, I am rather fond of Fireburst, and am looking forward to getting the Greater version with my Warmage character. Wall of Stone is useful for a dozen different things. Everybody needs Teleport, gets you from A to B.... Mirage Arcana is nifty is you fight a lot of wars.

Edit: Missed the OP saying he already had teleport. Oops.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-10, 11:41 AM
As a DM?

Magic Jar - No BBEG should leave home without it.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-10, 11:52 AM
Defenestrating Sphere. Yes, I know it's Sor/Wiz 4, but it is awesome enough to warrant note here.

Tyger
2007-08-10, 11:54 AM
Yeah, it was Firebrand, not burst. If I have bad guys close enough to use Fireburst, I'm already doing something terribly wrong.

Final decision was actually Hold Monster and Telekinesis. One for save or die, other for general utility. I took Sculpt Spell as one of my two feats, so Firebrand suddenly wasn't all that interesting, when I can use a Sculpted Fireball to achieve almost the same results. Granted, later in life that may change, but for now its all good.

As for Teleport, my DM actually upped Teleport to a level 8 spell and Greater Teleport to level 9. Both have XP requirements as well. His way of dealing with the instant escape / win of Teleport. Can't say that I disagree really. Spell is just a bit wonky.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Make me take a long hard look at Hold Monster. Fortunately. We'll see how it plays out tomorrow as we continue Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

P.S. Anyone who's played Expedition... please tell me that you can find Strahd's spell book!!?? Pretty please? Don't want to know where it is, but would like to have some hope that its there.

EDIT: Fax, Defenestrating Sphere is far and away my favorite spell. Finally got to use to it full effect the other day, did 11d6 damage with it, wiping out a nasty little taxidermist. Long story. :) But yeah, it was one of the first level 4 spells I took. Rarely use evocation spells, but when I do, its always nice. :)