PDA

View Full Version : [Variant] Monstrous Rebuilding

Gralamin
2007-08-08, 03:21 AM
What is Monstrous Rebuilding?
Rebuilding is a variant in the Players Handbook 2. Using this system, I believe its possible to build monstrous characters who will not overshow Normal Characters.

Why Bother?
Monstrous characters are weaker then the core races, and this doesn't sit well with me. The D&D is Racist Scenario should of been dropped by 3rd edition in my mind.

Huh Weaker?
A character by 20th level should be about CR 20, but may not cross CR 20. (EG A Ogre Wizard 19 is CR 20, While an Ogre Wizard 14 is ECL 20). A 20th level human is always CR 20, Unless he has taken NPC Class Levels.
[hr]
Monstrous Rebuilding
Terms
Associated Class Level - a Class that a monster does well in. This is described in the Monster Manual, and the SRD.
Non-Associated Class Level - a Class that a monster doesn't do well in. This is described in the Monster Manual, and the SRD.

Rebuilding Non-Associated Class levels
Every two character levels in a non-associated class, you may rebuild a point of LA into a non-associated class level. LA may be reduced this way to 0. Before each rebuilding, you need the DM's Permission.
A character may start rebuilding Racial Hit Dice After finishing the LA, and this may only be done every two levels. Your characters must retain at least 1 Racial Hit die.
A DM should pay attention to a characters Challenge Rating. A Characters CR should not Exceed 20.

For Example an Ogre Wizard 2 (ECL 8) Has reached his second level, he chooses to rebuild one point of LA (with his DM's Permission) into one level of Wizard, and thus Becomes an Ogre Wizard 3 (ECL 8). At Wizard 5, He may once again rebuild, reducing his LA to 0, making him a Ogre Wizard 6 (ECL 10). At Wizard 8, he Chooses to Lose a Racial Hit Dice, and becomes an Ogre Wizard 9 (ECL 12). At Ogre Wizard 11, he loses an additional hit dice, Making him an Ogre Wizard 12 (ECL 14), At Wizard 14, He loses another Racial Hit dice, and becomes Ogre Wizard 15 ECL 16. Because he only has one racial hit dice, he Cannot rebuild again, and becomes a Ogre Wizard 19 at ECL 20.

((This system works with the ogre, I'm going to check other races tomorrow.))

Rebuilding Associated Class levels
Every three character levels in a non-associated class, you may rebuild a point of LA into an associated class level. LA may be reduced this way to 0. Before each rebuilding, you need the DM's Permission.
A character may start rebuilding Racial Hit Dice After finishing the LA, and this may only be done every three levels. Your characters must retain at least 1 Racial Hit die.
A DM should pay attention to a characters Challenge Rating. A Characters CR should not Exceed 20.

For Example, a Ogre Fighter 3 (ECL 9), choose to exchange a Level Adjustment for another level of Fighter, And Becomes a Ogre Fighter 4 (ECL 9). At Ogre Fighter 7 (ECL 12), He loses his other Level Adjustment, and Becomes a Ogre Fighter 8 (ECL 12). At Ogre Fighter 11 (ECL 15), he loses one racial hit die, and becomes a Ogre Fighter 12 (ECL 15). At Ogre Fighter 15 (ECL 18), He wants to lose an additional hit die, but his DM Denies him this ability. He Progresses to Ogre Fighter 17 (ECL 20).

((Once again, works for ogre after DM intervention this time. I know this currently doesn't work for nymphs, who can only get to Druid 9 this way [Should get to 13]))
[hr]
Comments/Suggestions?