PDA

View Full Version : A simpler system?

drawingfreak
2007-08-08, 02:37 PM
[self-deleted due to publishing oppurtunities]

Deesix
2007-08-08, 03:46 PM
Reminds me of the oldschool video games, and I think it could be fun. I kinda wonder why the Mage is obviously the all-around best class for almost everything...

I'd like to see more of this (levels, damaging people and the like) before I lend any real aid.

drawingfreak
2007-08-09, 11:12 AM

drawingfreak
2007-08-09, 11:11 PM

Deesix
2007-08-10, 01:25 AM
Personally, I'd reduce the Mage's physical attack by at least one. I see no reason for it to be as good as a warrior. Speed shouldn't be a negative, though; that just means going all mage would hurt your speed so hard it's not even worth it. Sames goes for a berzerker's ACC.

I'd like to toy with this, actually. Make up characters and see what can be done...

Deesix
2007-08-10, 01:34 AM
Skills idea (not finalized, just an idea)
For any kind of action outside of direct combat, roll 1d6 against a target number set by the GM.

At creation, a player can choose up to 5 specialized skills. These allow him to roll 2d6 instead of 1d6 for those 5 skills.

This seems fairly solid, but I'd add modifiers in there too. Like, when you GET the skill, you get the 2d6 thing...But as you level up, depending on class, certain skills can be assigned points so you also get +1 or higher as you progress. Nothing major, as this is obviously a simple combat-based system.

Deesix
2007-08-10, 02:08 AM
How are you doing spells? The way things are working, I could see a spell being 'equipped', and reducing mana each attack and when you're damaged, like a combo of weapon and armor. I dunno what you had rolled up for that, though, but I think it seems cool.

Ceres
2007-08-10, 06:53 AM
Neat system :smallsmile: It does actually have quite a few similarities to the system I am working on (Though it is vastly more complex as I am not after simplicity, but the basics are similar).

Since I believe you are focusing on speed and simplicity, I would suggest keeping the number rolled for hit to damage. This would not only make attacking twice as quick, but give the feeling that a better hit means better damage. At least, this is how I do it in my system.

If you choose to implement this, players could have written down the differance between "hit" and "to damage" for even quicker combat resolution. For instance, if you have 3 "hit" and 1 "to damage", this would be -2. Then, after calculating whether you hit or not, you could simply add/subtract this number along with your opponents defence to calculate final damage.

Just a simple suggestion for speeding things up :smallsmile:

drawingfreak
2007-08-10, 10:56 AM

drawingfreak
2007-08-10, 11:49 PM

Devouring Rage
2007-08-11, 12:06 AM
Alright, well I'd like you to look at these two links, either to use instead so that you don't have to go through all the trouble of making your own system or simply look at them for inspiration.

E6 (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=202109) This is regular D&D, same system, but simplifies things by making characters epic at 6. Instead of leveling after 5, you just gain feats (and there's new feats and such to help compensate). Basically just a toned down D&D so there's no crazy tactics and such.

Age of Wonders (http://www.liquidmateria.info/wiki/Age_of_Wonders) This is a game Szatany form the WotC forums decided to make. Using d20-esque rules, he is trying to create a simple form of D&D. Nothing spectacular and meant to be easy to grasp and play.

Well have fun, I hope these are at least of some use to you.

Deesix
2007-08-11, 01:43 AM
My main issue was that a high-level berzerker will be worse at accuracy than even the lowest level anything else. It's kind of...Well, I'd never take the class at all. Gaining a level should never make you worse.

drawingfreak
2007-08-11, 04:36 PM

Deesix
2007-08-12, 03:27 AM
Looks like a good place to go from, with limited combinations of each level. Specifics need to be covered, but that's later. Are you going to go with the equip as both armor and attack for spells, or something different?

drawingfreak
2007-08-12, 04:20 PM
Currently I am thinking about taking the FF7 approach and having armor and weapons or something on the person to hold the items.

drawingfreak
2007-08-13, 11:08 AM

drawingfreak
2007-08-15, 12:31 PM

drawingfreak
2007-08-17, 02:27 AM

Harold
2007-08-17, 06:29 PM
psst drawing freak ever hear of the three post rule

Zeta Kai
2007-08-17, 06:59 PM

What's that? If there is such a thing, then I'm the biggest violator on the forums.

Deesix
2007-08-17, 07:45 PM
Hmm, I'm not so sure about the spell system. I'd have to see it in action. You have to keep in mind things like range, ability to defend/dodge and the like.

drawingfreak
2007-08-18, 12:35 AM
Zeta Kai has a point...not to mention that sometimes, edits are just not enough to grab attention to a subject. Do subscriptions even recognize edits?

drawingfreak
2007-08-20, 02:50 PM

drawingfreak
2007-08-21, 03:09 PM

drawingfreak
2007-08-28, 12:48 PM