PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Water Cleric

robbie374
2017-07-25, 12:41 PM
In building a Cleric, I was drawn to the Tempest Cleric for its spellcasting and features, but I am disappointed that it leans so heavily toward melee and splits its focus. I've been trying to think of ways to modify it to make it more watery and magical and less melee.

These I want to change:
Bonus Proficiencies: A spellcaster doesn't need martial weapons and heavy armor.
1st Level Wrath of the Storm: Can only be used on attackers within 5 feet of you, but as a spellcaster you want to avoid melee. Could be given a 30-foot range like Warding Flare from the Light Domain.
8th Level Divine Strike: A spellcaster is avoiding melee. Should probably be changed to Potent Spellcasting.

Some change ideas:
Bonus Proficiencies:
At 1st level, you learn the Shape Water cantrip, and you gain proficiency with seafaring weapons: the rapier, scimitar, shortsword, and net.

-- The weapon selection is martial and pirate-like, but is less than all martial weapons. In comparison, the Weapon Mastery feat would also give a stat bump.
-- Shape Water is a thematic but rather wimpy cantrip.

From the Sea Sorcery (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf):

Soul of the Sea:
At 1st level, your tie to the sea grants you the ability to breathe underwater, and you have a swim speed equal to your walking speed.

-- I like that you can breathe underwater.

From Waterborne Adventures (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf):

Fighting Style: Mariner
As long as you are not wearing heavy armor or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

-- In comparison to Soul of the Sea, this lacks underwater breathing and limits to not using a shield, but it adds climbing and an AC bonus.

-- How do Soul of the Sea and Mariner compare with Wrath of the Storm?

Swimming abilities are cool, but may not be useful in many settings. Is there a secondary feature that can be added to make this subclass more generally useful while keeping to the watery theme?

robbie374
2017-07-26, 08:22 AM
I have refined it somewhat. I feel as though it seems too powerful, but also circumstantial.

Bonus Proficiencies:
At 1st level, you learn the Shape Water cantrip, and you gain proficiency with the Nature skill as well as seafaring weapons: the rapier, scimitar, shortsword, trident, and net.

Friend of the Sea:
At 1st level, your tie to the sea grants you the ability to live and move as easily underwater as you can on land. You can breathe underwater, your vision is not obscured by water, and you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your walking speed.

clash
2017-07-26, 09:16 AM
That all seems fine to me. As a dm I would allow the change.