PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Swordmage (5e Class) [PEACH]

Ugganaut
2017-07-27, 08:25 AM
Trying to make a Swordmage (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/rJgxWw5cI-) for our game, was hoping to get some feedback on balance.
I modified miburo's Spellsword (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514179-The-Spellsword-(5e-base-class)-PEACH&p=22226383#post22226383). He did an amazing job, just wasn't quite what I was after.

Deleted
2017-07-27, 09:55 AM
Trying to make a Swordmage (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ0JWUXIW) for our game, was hoping to get some feedback on balance.
I modified miburo's Spellsword (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?514179-The-Spellsword-(5e-base-class)-PEACH&p=22226383#post22226383). He did an amazing job, just wasn't quite what I was after.

There needs to be some page breaks in there, at least on mobile the homebrewery doc gets weird (homebrewery usually works fine on mobile).

Edit

1: You currently have no way of turning off the light for your bonded weapon. I would make this a bonus action to turn on and off the season's light.

2: Sword and Sorcery looks good, though you should never give attack roll bonuses. Archery gains an attack roll bonus (but shouldn't) because partial cover is so easy to get (allies and enemies give it to each other). I would go with +1 damage to weapon, no disadvantage when casting ranged cantrip because a creature is within 5'. Actually, I'm gonna need to pull this over to my reactive fighter :p.

3: Cantrips should be level 1. Swordbond can be level 2 but Cantrips definitely need to be level 1. Cantrips and "Sword and Sorcery" go hand in hand so well.

Ugganaut
2017-07-27, 10:33 AM
I have no idea how to use that site properly. It looks fine on my end, so not sure what needs fixing(because I can't see the issue). I'm using Firefox.

1. Done.

2. Can't take any credit there, thats all miburo. I agree though, changed it to damage.

3. Cantrips seemed to be under Spellcasting, and wanted to leave that at level 2 like the other half-caster(Paladin). I think Sword Bond is enough magic to get the flavour started. With a fighting style, they are about on par with other melee warriors, just no shield proficiency. I liked Loreseeker at level 1 for that reason too, so those three things seems like enough. Armor of Force I'd like to have at 1 for dex swordmages, but again, seemed a bit much. Could switch Fighting Style and Armor of Force, but have to be careful of level 1 dips(Warlock has Armor of Shadows at 2).

Thanks for the feedback :)

Deleted
2017-07-27, 10:47 AM
I have no idea how to use that site properly. It looks fine on my end, so not sure what needs fixing(because I can't see the issue). I'm using Firefox.

1. Done.

2. Can't take any credit there, thats all miburo. I agree though, changed it to damage.

3. Cantrips seemed to be under Spellcasting, and wanted to leave that at level 2 like the other half-caster(Paladin). I think Sword Bond is enough magic to get the flavour started. With a fighting style, they are about on par with other melee warriors, just no shield proficiency. I liked Loreseeker at level 1 for that reason too, so those three things seems like enough. Armor of Force I'd like to have at 1 for dex swordmages, but again, seemed a bit much. Could switch Fighting Style and Armor of Force, but have to be careful of level 1 dips(Warlock has Armor of Shadows at 2).

Thanks for the feedback :)

Swordbond gives you barely anything and is primarily a ribbon ability. You get the same thing from having a back up weapon, a merchant, or a torch at any given time. Paladins get other magic abilities, that aren't filler, at level 1. Divine Sense and Lay on Hands both mesh well together and have useful functions that you can't replicate elsewhere easily.

The Swordmage should be able to be a Swordmage from level 1. Currently at level 1 you have a fighter that isn't as good as the fighter. Currently, Sword and Sorcery can't be fully used when you get it which makes you very much less of a Swordmage.

Comparing this to the Paladin is also bad because Paladins don't get Cantrips in the first place (LoH and DS are the replacement for cantrips more or less).

Ugganaut
2017-07-27, 05:22 PM
You don't think its too much giving cantrips at level 1 on top of whats already there?
Not just for the class, but also for potential level 1 dips.

Edit: Your right, they should be able to cast a cantrip at 1st level. I removed Fighting Style and made Sword and Sorcery its own feature, as it is a core feature of the class. The two types of Swordmages I see are Str/Heavy Armor/Two-Handed Weapon, and Dex/Unarmored/Finesse Weapon. But both should be using spells of some sort, and both should be a viable option. War Caster is still a good feat with adv concentration and the OA, but the somatic part is needed by a Two-Handed Swordmage, so added it in to avoid a feat tax type thing.

The other thing I'm not sure of is having Aegis of Shielding and Aegis of Assault in the same Path. Considering splitting them into their own paths, and reworking Channeling into an aegis as well.

Ugganaut
2017-07-27, 08:17 PM
Edit: Implemented changes to make the aegis a core feature.

Deleted
2017-07-27, 09:07 PM
You don't think its too much giving cantrips at level 1 on top of whats already there?
Not just for the class, but also for potential level 1 dips.

Edit: Your right, they should be able to cast a cantrip at 1st level. I removed Fighting Style and made Sword and Sorcery its own feature, as it is a core feature of the class. The two types of Swordmages I see are Str/Heavy Armor/Two-Handed Weapon, and Dex/Unarmored/Finesse Weapon. But both should be using spells of some sort, and both should be a viable option. War Caster is still a good feat with adv concentration and the OA, but the somatic part is needed by a Two-Handed Swordmage, so added it in to avoid a feat tax type thing.

The other thing I'm not sure of is having Aegis of Shielding and Aegis of Assault in the same Path. Considering splitting them into their own paths, and reworking Channeling into an aegis as well.

I was going to suggest making Sword and Sorcery the main feature and giving them a cantrip, but I see you beat me to it :p

Ugganaut
2017-07-27, 09:47 PM
I was going to suggest making Sword and Sorcery the main feature and giving them a cantrip, but I see you beat me to it :p

Great minds/Fools :)

Does it seem balanced?

Deleted
2017-07-27, 10:25 PM
Great minds/Fools :)

Does it seem balanced?

I think the AC bonus isn't very balanced as you are already giving them full armor, just give them medium armor and shields (have a archetype that gives heavy armor). I would also drop heavy weapons from their proficiency (and have an archetype bring them to it, arcane archer would get heavy ranged weapons).

Also, the limited choice on cantrips makes this feature mostly useless still as these spells don't require a ranged attack roll, maybe lightning lure does but I'm blanking on its specifics.

Sword and Sorcery

Arcane Focus (melee weapon)
When you are wielding a melee weapon, your ranged spells don't have disadvantage when you cast them due to enemies being within 5' of you.
Gain two cantrips from the Wizard spell list, one must have a ranged attack roll.

Ugganaut
2017-07-28, 12:04 AM
I think the AC bonus isn't very balanced as you are already giving them full armor, just give them medium armor and shields (have a archetype that gives heavy armor). I would also drop heavy weapons from their proficiency (and have an archetype bring them to it, arcane archer would get heavy ranged weapons).[/LIST]
It seemed a bit clunky to do it that way. I've been working with the above changes(3 archetypes), using a Halberd/Plate/Channelling, Greataxe/Plate/Assault, and Rapier/Force Armor/Shielding to get an idea of how they'd all work. If you're wearing heavy armor, you're probably a Str based character and will be using a two-handed weapon, so the +2AC won't be coming into play. If you're using a one-handed weapon, then you're trading the increase damage for +2AC, which seems fair. If you're using the force armor, you're probably a Dex based character. Like Unarmored Defense on a barbarian, you aren't forced to use it. The +2AC is just replacing a shield, without giving proficiency in shields - 4e Swordmage had this, and I liked it. Its a bit stronger than a shield, as it can't be removed, but also can't benefit from Shield Mastery.

Also, the limited choice on cantrips makes this feature mostly useless still as these spells don't require a ranged attack roll, maybe lightning lure does but I'm blanking on its specifics. [/LIST]
They are primarily melee, so the lack of ranged weapon support is intentional. They can still use ranged weapons, or take ranged cantrip/spells at level 2. Sword and Sorcery even supports a Firebolt on a non-adjacent target while in melee, they just don't get that option at level 1(from the class at least). Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon can give a boost to a ranged weapon later on, but I don't think ranged as a primary option should be viable for a Swordmage.

Sword and Sorcery

Arcane Focus (melee weapon)
When you are wielding a melee weapon, your ranged spells don't have disadvantage when you cast them due to enemies being within 5' of you.
Gain two cantrips from the Wizard spell list, one must have a ranged attack roll.

Didn't want to open up the wizard spell list(even for cantrips), Paladin had a limited selection, and I think that's the better option.
Force a ranged attack roll cantrip over a melee cantrip? You lost me there.
I never thought of Swordmages as strong ranged combatants, especially with weapons.

Deleted
2017-07-28, 12:19 AM
If you don't want them having ranged options, you need to change Sword and Sorcery to actually work with non-ranged spells (or Cantrips).

Melee only swordmages are not something I would ever think of when I think of a Swordmage. The 4e Swordmage (the best iteration of the Swordmage that WotC has made) and other edition Swordmage types always had ranged magic.

(On mobile and accidentally deleted other stuff I wrote so I'm just replying with my main focus)

Ugganaut
2017-07-28, 12:54 AM
If you don't want them having ranged options, you need to change Sword and Sorcery to actually work with non-ranged spells (or Cantrips).
I do want them to have ranged options, just not as the primary focus. A Paladin for example, can use a Longbow, but Divine Smite won't work with it. Sword and Sorcery represents the combination of magic and melee, so having the ability to confidently cast a ranged attack spell in melee seems fitting. Non-ranged spells don't suffer the same fate in melee, so don't need any help. At least from that particular feature. Melee is helped by the cantrip itself.

Melee only swordmages are not something I would ever think of when I think of a Swordmage. The 4e Swordmage (the best iteration of the Swordmage that WotC has made) and other edition Swordmage types always had ranged magic.
From what I can remember of my 4e Swordmage, he was strictly melee. The ranged options where incredibly limited for a Swordmage. It went so far as to limit weapon choice - one or two handed blades. Obviously I'm not trying to be that restrictive with this version, with weapons or armor(4e was leather only I think). I could be wrong, I only played one character. Pretty sure about the blade limitation. I'd say this guy has more ranged options, with weapon proficiencies and spell choice. The class just doesn't support you being an arcane archer type...unless WotC bring out a ranged weapon cantrip.

Ugganaut
2017-07-28, 02:54 AM
I've updated the link.
Removed Lore Seeker.
Revamped Sword and Sorcery to include Lore Seeker, and any cantrip from the classes list.
Added Unarmored Warding(removed Armor of Force).
Added Aegis as a level 3 class feature, but requires a Path to actually make use of it.
Updated Path of Channelling to fit the Aegis.
Split Path of Shielding into Path of Protection and Path of Aggression.

Not sure if the Unarmored Warding is balanced(13+Int).
Changing Spellblade to "when attacking" instead of a cantrip changes the balance, so need to think about the implications.
Not sure on usefulness of Tactical Movement vs Hyper Awareness vs Hunt the Prey.
Rapid Response, can't tell if its balanced. It's always active, but limited to the second Aegis target only. Total Aegis and Arcane Fury are 1/day burst buffs.

Deleted
2017-07-28, 10:13 AM
The 4e Swordmage teleported around smacking people and some ranged options. In 3e the EK, Arcane Archer, and many other "Swordmage" types had access to ranged magic. In 5e the EK and other swordmage types have ranged options (except Paladin).

Without access to ranged Cantrips the feature will be useless except on niche builds, especially with how little spells they seem to get per day in your homebrew.

Thanks to the Bard and Sorcerer (stone?), you could actually balance this around being a full caster.

Ugganaut
2017-07-28, 05:36 PM
The 4e Swordmage teleported around smacking people and some ranged options. In 3e the EK, Arcane Archer, and many other "Swordmage" types had access to ranged magic. In 5e the EK and other swordmage types have ranged options (except Paladin).
I don't remember 3e much, the 4e was more what I was going for, but more versatile in armor and weapons. Paladin is mostly what I think it should be balanced against as an arcane half-caster, but without healing and smite :) I remember them teleporting and smacking people too, with some limited ranged options - but it was primarily melee. That's what this version has.

Without access to ranged Cantrips the feature will be useless except on niche builds, especially with how little spells they seem to get per day in your homebrew.
It's more a ribbon I think, to further show their ability to cast in the middle of combat. The primary feature that gets this across is Spellsword Strike. They do have access to ranged cantrips(Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost) which the feature would apply to, plus a couple spells(Ice Knife, Scorching Ray). They have other ranged/AoE options as well, including the weapon buffs.
I think Eldritch Blast would fit well, but wasn't sure why only the warlock had it, so left it alone. I'd also like to see a ranged weapon cantrip, something like this:
Frost Arrow Evocation Cantrip (Sorcerer, Wizard)
Casting Time: 1 action Range: Weapon Components: VM Duration: Instantaneous
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a ranged attack with a weapon against one creature within range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn. This spell's damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the ranged attack deals an extra 1d6 cold damage to the target. The damage rolls increase by 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.

Thanks to the Bard and Sorcerer (stone?), you could actually balance this around being a full caster.
I wanted this to be a half caster, as you noted the full caster options are represented.

I hate EK in 5e, so wanted something in between that and the Stone Sorcerer(which I think is too strong). A Paladin with the flavor of an EK. 5e is lacking for arcane half-casters.
I don't like the name Swordmage or Spellsword, but can't think of anything more appropriate. Arcane Knight would be more appropriate. A rapier wielding, flame throwing elf. An axe wielding, rune casting dwarf. Halberd and plate armor human knight of the arcane brotherhood. Those are the types I think of building this, all weaving magic and weapons, with some ranged options, but they shine in melee. More magic, and you could go Bladesinger Wizard, Bard, Stone Sorcerer. More Fighter you could go EK or Arcane Archer. I'm trying for the in between balanced option.

Ugganaut
2017-07-28, 09:29 PM
Changed Spellblade to Elemental Infusions, and made them Cantrips again. They are too strong combined with Spellsword Strike(Booming Blade + Bonus action attack with Spellsword Strike).

Added Arcane Blast for an extra ranged cantrip option.

Edit: Testing out some support for a ranged option, just for you D :P (at the bottom of the page)

miburo
2017-07-29, 04:50 PM
I'm flattered you adapted my Spellsword class to make it more like the 4e Swordmage :smallsmile:. I'd like to analyze and give my take, unfortunately the formatting looks all screwy on each page so half the text goes off the right side of each page. I get the same issue even when trying to view the pdf. I'm using Chrome on a Macbook so I don't think that should normally cause problems...

Since it was adapted from my class and directly uses a lot of my flavor text and class abilities, would you mind putting a citation in your class document saying it was adapted from Miburo's Spellsword class? You can link directly to the google doc for mine (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x6GcnjQOMzcB3zUF1nduYMOAJmz3Xyc1MXGhpNu9iNU).

Ugganaut
2017-07-29, 06:35 PM
I'm flattered you adapted my Spellsword class to make it more like the 4e Swordmage :smallsmile:. I'd like to analyze and give my take, unfortunately the formatting looks all screwy on each page so half the text goes off the right side of each page. I get the same issue even when trying to view the pdf. I'm using Chrome on a Macbook so I don't think that should normally cause problems...
I've changed the formatting to Chrome, so it should work now.
Still a work in progress, and haven't really touched the flavor text, was leaving that till last.

Since it was adapted from my class and directly uses a lot of my flavor text and class abilities, would you mind putting a citation in your class document saying it was adapted from Miburo's Spellsword class? You can link directly to the google doc for mine (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x6GcnjQOMzcB3zUF1nduYMOAJmz3Xyc1MXGhpNu9iNU).
Added.

miburo
2017-07-29, 08:15 PM
Awesome it works now. I'll give my analysis based on the fact that you want to create something that is based off of the 4E swordmage, instead of the more generic "gish" take I was going with for the spellsword.

- Unarmored Warding: No one is ever going to use a shield (except for the small chance they get a magic one). If you're okay with that then no problem. Also you may want to call it "Swordmage Warding" or something because technically the no-shield bonus doesn't require you to be unarmored.

- Sword and Sorcery is a really, really strong ability. Effectively two free skills or expertise in those skills, a cantrip, and easy somatic components + no disadvantage on spell attack rolls up close. That's a lot for a first level ability, considering you are already gaining Unarmored Warding and Weapon Bond.

- From that standpoint, if I were playing a Wizard, there's absolutely no reason for me not to dip one level in the Swordmage class. Between Unarmored Warding and Sword and Sorcery I gain far too many useful abilities for me to ignore that dip. I could ignore Dex and Str as stats and get the equivalent of Int-based heavy armor and a shield. Combined with a free cantrip and no disadvantage on spell attack rolls in melee, that's just way too good to pass up for just one level.

- Interesting idea to merge Aegis into the base class, and makes sense for your take. However, as it stands the Channeling archetype doesn't really fit anymore. What purpose does the Aegis serve in relation to the Elemental Infusions, or any of the other Channeling abilities? You might want to find a way to somehow make the Aegis fit that archetype, or consider building something off of the Aegis of Ensnarement if you want to make it more like the 4E swordmage.

- Devastating Infusion is actually pretty cool--basically allows you to guarantee burst damage once per short rest. One issue is that people will totally (ab)use that during critical hits to deal insane amounts of damage.

- Hyper Awareness and Hunt the Prey are interesting abilities, but keep in mind that the Aegis only lasts 1 minute so it is questionable how much you will use those skills (e.g. Survival tracking) against the foe in question.

- Arcane Blast: I don't think it needs a strength saving throw for the knockback as it already has the attack roll. Also Arcane Blast and Force Arrow are really similar. And what does "Range: Weapon (Short Range)" mean?

Ugganaut
2017-07-29, 10:51 PM
Awesome it works now. I'll give my analysis based on the fact that you want to create something that is based off of the 4E swordmage, instead of the more generic "gish" take I was going with for the spellsword.

1 - Unarmored Warding: No one is ever going to use a shield (except for the small chance they get a magic one). If you're okay with that then no problem. Also you may want to call it "Swordmage Warding" or something because technically the no-shield bonus doesn't require you to be unarmored.

2 - Sword and Sorcery is a really, really strong ability. Effectively two free skills or expertise in those skills, a cantrip, and easy somatic components + no disadvantage on spell attack rolls up close. That's a lot for a first level ability, considering you are already gaining Unarmored Warding and Weapon Bond.

3 - From that standpoint, if I were playing a Wizard, there's absolutely no reason for me not to dip one level in the Swordmage class. Between Unarmored Warding and Sword and Sorcery I gain far too many useful abilities for me to ignore that dip. I could ignore Dex and Str as stats and get the equivalent of Int-based heavy armor and a shield. Combined with a free cantrip and no disadvantage on spell attack rolls in melee, that's just way too good to pass up for just one level.

4 - Interesting idea to merge Aegis into the base class, and makes sense for your take. However, as it stands the Channeling archetype doesn't really fit anymore. What purpose does the Aegis serve in relation to the Elemental Infusions, or any of the other Channeling abilities? You might want to find a way to somehow make the Aegis fit that archetype, or consider building something off of the Aegis of Ensnarement if you want to make it more like the 4E swordmage.

5 - Devastating Infusion is actually pretty cool--basically allows you to guarantee burst damage once per short rest. One issue is that people will totally (ab)use that during critical hits to deal insane amounts of damage.

6 - Hyper Awareness and Hunt the Prey are interesting abilities, but keep in mind that the Aegis only lasts 1 minute so it is questionable how much you will use those skills (e.g. Survival tracking) against the foe in question.

7 - Arcane Blast: I don't think it needs a strength saving throw for the knockback as it already has the attack roll. Also Arcane Blast and Force Arrow are really similar. And what does "Range: Weapon (Short Range)" mean?

1 - Unarmored Warding: You'll notice I removed shield proficiency, the intent was to replace it. Agree with the name, I'll change that. The +2 AC ward is supposed to replace shields. The advantage is you don't need to draw/stow, it can't be stolen and it weighs nothing. The disadvantage is it can't be enchanted, and you can't use Shield Mastery. Doesn't seem too strong.

2 - Sword and Sorcery is supposed to be a very strong ability, its the feature that sets up the style of the class. Agreed you get two skills/expertise, but they are locked in, and have limited applications as opposed to Perception, Athletics and others. Not saying they are weak, but I think its fits the class fluff. It does allow you to choose other class skills, and pick these skills up as a bonus(so no expertise), and I like that. I think they should have these skills no matter what, as it is fundamental to the flavor.

3 - Tried to keep multiclassing in mind, but was so focused on Extra Attack from the melee types, forgot about the wizards. Warding didn't seem to bad, a 1 level dip in some melee classes can get you that(heavy armor/shields). It is easier with Int, but Dex will most likely be high enough to get it anyway. Sword and Sorcery is a bit of an issue I agree for the dip. The cantrip needs to stay, as Deleted noted, thats the whole theme of the gish. The somatic and melee casting was so there wasn't a forced feat tax(War Caster). I might just restrict it to Swordmage spells, that would fix it. (Updated). As Deleted pointed out, the melee casting doesn't actually apply to many spells in that list, so its a minor benefit. I think any gish character should have the somatic feature built into it - thats my personal opinion.

4 - I'll take another look. The idea of the aegis was as a beacon to channel magic effects through, and enhance some skills like a hunter's mark(easier to see, influence or something else depending on Path). I hadn't noticed I didn't update Elemental Infusion, thanks. I was going to limit it to the aegis target, the advantage over the others is more control and versatility. If thats too weak let me know, but it doesn't seem like it. They still have the usual suspects, Booming Blade, Green-flame blade etc if they need to attack someone other than their aegis but still want to do Spellsword Strike.

5 - I had considered that. First you have to get a crit between each short rest and specifically on the cantrip attack(instead of the Spellsword Strike bonus attack), and it has to be on a target with enough HP to be worthwhile. The maxed out damage would be +48 at level 17. Now that's strong, but is it overpowered? I could see a fighter doing something similar, paladin for sure, and rogues are built for it and can do it anytime they crit on any attack. I could be missing something, I not too good at the theorycraft stuff.

6 - This is what happens when you are modifying someone elses work, you miss the little things :smallsmile: I was going to have the aegis have no limit other than consciousness, or perhaps concentration. The aegis itself doesn't actually do anything other than mark them, so the limitations should come from the effects the use the aegis.

7 - I'm cautious when making new things like spells, because I don't fully understand why designed things a certain way. Arcane Blast is basically Fire Bolt but force damage. Because Force is better than Fire as a damage type, and Fire Bolt has no rider, I thought d8 so its still a strong hit, and a saving through for the rider. Would I use this over a Fire Bolt or vise versa? Yes. Our main DM said about homebrew "if you'd always choose one option over another in any situation, then its probably overpowered". Generally I agree :smallsmile:
Short Range....that is a place holder. You'll notice those spells don't have (Sorcerer, Wizard) next to them, and aren't on the Swordmage list. I'm still trying to balance them. If you leave it as "weapon range", a long bow is firing a cantrip more than twice the distance of nearly all cantrips. If you set a range like 120ft, it makes no sense that the range is the same for a dagger as it is for a long bow. Short range seems appropriate, but not sure how to word that, or how it would make sense. I'm testing out if a "ranged Swordmage" is viable as Path as Deleted had mentioned. Steers away from the traditional Swordmage, but I don't mind that. I've steered away by adding all weapons and armor.

Thanks for the feedback Miburo, and nice work again on Spellsword. I think I like your name better, I just can't think of something that fits other than Arcane Knight :smallsmile:

Ugganaut
2017-07-30, 12:03 AM
Changed Unarmored Warding to Swordmage Warding, and moved it to level 2. Its not mandatory at level 1 like Sword and Sorcery in my opinion. Still might be an issue with Bladesinger's multi-classing.
Limited Sword and Sorcery melee casting to Swordmage only spells to stop those pesky wizards from dip stealing :smallsmile:
Locked the Elemental Infusions to the aegis target as intended. Changed range from 5 feet to Weapon for Polearm uses.
Replaced the duration of aegis from 1 minute to concentration. Still not sure it even needs concentration(as long as you're conscious), but airing on the side of caution for now.

Edit: Changed Devastating Infusion to curb the crit potential.
Changed Roads Scholar to Instant Recall.
Changed Sword and Sorcery to not grant expertise to Arcana and History - Instant Recall eventually shows this expertise.
Limited Swordmage Tactics to Int/short rest, or it can be at-will disadvantage to saving throws using Elemental Infusions combined with Spellsword Strike.