PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know or want to help guess things about ships?

Icewalker
2007-08-08, 07:15 PM
I'm working on a seabased campaign, and as such am currently creating a system for ship to ship combat.

However, I've realized that I am running into a lot of things I'm going to have to guess for. I'm wondering what other people might think for some of these.

Currently, I'm trying to decide about thickness of the side of a ship. I'm using the breaking objects system from the PHB.

On ships, the sides of the ship are far heavier than the front and back, as they are expecting cannonfire in broadsides.

The way the system works, hp needs to be measured with a 'breaking' number, which is the amount of damage a cannonball has to deal to break through the side. It must vary slightly by ship, but a range is needed.

The wood is probably about 1-2 feet thick. There is a 1 ft. thickness masonry wall in the PHB chart for hardness etc, but the hp looks to me like it is measured for the whole wall, instead of punching a hole in it.

What do people think the Breaking damage should be for a 1 ft. thick side, or a far more weakly armored (and probably half the thickness) front or back?

The average cannonball damage from a normal size cannon which would be used in most broadsides is 14, or 18 on a ship with heavier armament. My thoughts are that on average, a shot won't break through, so for a 1 ft. thickness which would be on a frigate, perhaps around 18 or 16.

It would be excellent if somebody who actually knows correct information about these could give me bases to guess from, such as how often cannonballs did actually pierce the sides of a ship.

Durin_Deathless
2007-08-08, 07:35 PM
the book stormwreck (i'm pretty sure) has complete rules on the subject

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-08, 07:39 PM
Stormwrack, actually. But yes, it has all the sea-based rules.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-08, 08:49 PM
Stormwrack, for the win!

Icewalker
2007-08-09, 01:24 AM
I found Stormwrack. Looked through it. Decided I hated their system, so I decided to make my own.

It may be able to help me out with the Breaking damage. So on to the next thing I need help on.

What happens when a ship fires cannonballs into another's sails and rigging?

Depending on number of hits, lowers movement speed? Lowers maneuverability (which is a numbered stat)? Chance on hit to lower maneuverability? Different size cannonballs make less of a difference than they do vs. hull?

Reinboom
2007-08-09, 01:58 AM
Mind that sails aren't the only things that pulls ships along. Currents are major. So you're going to need to define which (or both even) that is in current use.
Not to mention the boats with hand driven row power from hundreds of people below deck.

Rnett
2007-08-09, 03:02 AM
Special ammunition was used to take out riggings or masts. Shrapnel shots punched holes through sails using a bunch of bits of metal.

And, there were chained cannonballs - two cannonballs chained together and fired simultaneously to take out the masts.

Triaxx
2007-08-09, 06:27 AM
Not to mention bar shot. Are you going to be using explosive rounds? Pitch rounds might also be tremendously effective against sails, igniting them as well as the rigging.

Wardog
2007-08-09, 11:13 AM
I believe there was also something called "hot shot".

Cannonballs heated to red hot before being loaded. Intended to cause fires on the enemy ship, or better still, an explosion in their powder magazine.

But with the risk of causing premature ignition of the cannon it was loaded into. (Particularly bad if the cannoneer is still in front of the muzzle.

Though I would question how much such a technique would be used in a world with magic, which could probably achieve the same effect with less risk.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-08-09, 01:53 PM
I found Stormwrack. Looked through it. Decided I hated their system, so I decided to make my own.

It may be able to help me out with the Breaking damage. So on to the next thing I need help on.

What happens when a ship fires cannonballs into another's sails and rigging?

Depending on number of hits, lowers movement speed? Lowers maneuverability (which is a numbered stat)? Chance on hit to lower maneuverability? Different size cannonballs make less of a difference than they do vs. hull?

The ship-to-ship combat is the best thing about Stormwrack, but that's not saying much.

I'd recommend you look up the d20 Modern vehicular combat system. It applies well enough, and it's in the SRD.