PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Quick and dirty Kensai fix/rework

martixy
2017-07-29, 06:38 PM
So I looked over kensai, and it's always been a class I've liked the idea of. But it suffers from the "mundanes can't get nice things" syndrome.

I don't like going wild with changes, so I decided to spruce it up, while keeping most of it intact. It had 5 dead levels(including L10 and the Ki Projection half-bonus), so I added 5 new abilities.

What I do need help with are two things:
a) Too melee focused. I'd like some suggestions for 2 ranged abilities which can replace the two attack abilities I used.
b) The 9th level ability is very finicky. Pretty sure it can be broken in some way and I'd like for someone to break it so I can tighten up the wording.

* Kensai use Iaijutsu focus instead of Concentration for all their abilities.
- Additionally, a Kensai can participate in a duel of wills using Iaijutsu focus instead of Intimidate.

* Progression:
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Signature Weapon
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Power Surge
3 +2 +1 +1 +3 Adaptive Weapon
4 +3 +1 +1 +4 Ki Projection
5 +3 +1 +1 +4 Withstand
6 +4 +2 +2 +5 Transform Weapon
7 +5 +2 +2 +5 Kiai Strike
8 +6 +2 +2 +6 Instill
9 +6 +3 +3 +6 Fight on
10 +7 +3 +3 +7 Ki Warlord, Kiai Dash

* Signature weapon(Su):
- May imbue as many weapons as he can make iterative attacks with. The weapons must be of the same category(melee,
ranged or natural). Must have Weapon Focus for any weapon she wishes to imbue.

* Adaptive weapon(Su):
- At 3rd level, with 10 minutes of meditation the Kensai can change his Signature weapon's abilities. This works only
for 1 weapon. If she possesses multiple weapons, she must perform this ritual for each weapon individually. The
exception is natural weapons, where all attacks of the same type(e.g. all claw attacks) can be changed at the same time
and must share the same bonuses.

* Ki Projection:
- At 4th level they receive their level as a bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, or Intimidate checks.

* Transform Weapon(Su):
- At 6th level the Kensai gains the ability to choose up half her level in Weapon bonus abilities which she can swap
out for any of his normal weapon's abilities as a standard action. When the Kensai meditates to change her Signature
weapon's abilities, she can also change the swappable abilities.
- For example a 6th level Kensai has a +3 keen transmuting longsword as a signature weapon. When she gains this
ability she chooses Holy Ghost touch as her swappable abilities. She can then, as a standard action swap out any of her
current weapon any of her current weapon's abilities with the chosen ones. For example she can make the sword a +3 holy
ghost touch weapon, or a +2 keen holy ghost touch weapon.
- The transformation lasts until the Kensai decides to change or revert it as a standard action.

* Kiai Strike(Ex):
- At 7th level whenever the Kensai uses Iaijutsu focus to increase damage on her strike using his signature weapon,
she can make a called shot at no penalty instead of the normal attack. The severity of this called shot is increased by
1 step. Additionally, she receives the benefit of the Great Cleave feat for this attack. (As in pathfinder's called shots.)

* Fight On(Ex):
- At 9th level, any time the Kensai would be affected by a debilitating condition that would impede his ability to
fight(such as Dazed, Paralyzed, etc.), she can, as an immediate action, make an Iaijutsu focus check to delay the onset
of this condition by a number of rounds equal to the result of the check divided by 10. She makes any applicable saves
and suffers any effects only after this delay elapses. Only one condition or effect may be delayed at any given time.
The Kensai must be conscious to use this ability.
- Grappling is the only exception. In this case the Kensai receives a bonus on her grapple check equal to the number
of rounds she would have delayed.
- For example, the kensai faces a medusa's gaze. She makes an Iaijutsu focus check and rolls 22 on her check. She
delays the need to make a Fortitude save and suffer the potential effects for 2 rounds. Of course, on subsequent rounds
she can still be subjected to the gaze and would be forced to make saves as normal.
- Durations begin ticking down once the delay ends. The delay automatically ends once the condition is no longer
applicable(i.e. immediately for instantaneous duration).
- If the cause of the condition is no longer applicable after the delay ends, the Kensai does not suffer the
effect(e.g. a Kensai is injured and brought below 0 hitpoints, bestowing upon him the dying condition. She delays this
condition by 3 rounds, continuing to fight. Before the delay elapses, an ally heals her to above 0 hp. Once the delay
has elapsed, she does not become dying.)

* Kiai Dash(Ex):
- At 10th level the Kensai is one with his weapon. Once per encounter, she can make a special charge attack during
which she can move up to her speed. During this movement she can make 1 attack for every 5 ft. she moves. Each of these
attacks can be Kiai Strike or a normal melee attack. Otherwise the charge follows all the normal rules for a charge.