PDA

View Full Version : Aeuroth

Paragon Badger
2007-08-09, 02:03 AM
So, basically. I've toyed around with like 9 billion different types of campaign settings in my life, before I even got into D&D. :-P

One was the cliche 'angels vs. demons' meets time travel. I thought of this back when I was a wee lil' adolescent. (that explains the derivative-ness :smalltongue: ) Scrapped.

Another was a setting with all humans, and just plain ol' regular animals, that explained a convuluted war (where the Hostoff people made their debut in my imagination) that was originally going to be a novel. Each chapter would be a different character's take on the situation as the plotline progressed.

Another, more recent one, was a collection of my own complainings and rants about the world. It was basically one giant critique. One nation was a critique/expose on my belief that racism is an inherently 'human' trait, and though it's abominable, yes, it's not abnormal or even unexpected. Another nation was Byazuuga, which is explained below.

I've tried to shift the last one to fit my desires, but I just coulden't stand it. It certaintly doesn't help that I've had a severe case of writer's/artist's block for the past few years. Heck, I've had 'anything imaginative block.' >_> So I've resorted to just cheesily adapting obscure mythology into my settings. Incredibly lame, I loathe my desperation. :-P

So basically, I'd like to ask you for some help. Here are my previous concepts, the ones that I like, at least. You don't have to read it... in fact, you might not want to until you decide whether or not you have an interest in helping me out here, it's rather long. :-P

Previous Concepts:

Byazuuga (Nation)

This nation was my critique on our current society. ;-) But it ended up looking like the Drow from Forgotten realms. Basically, in a religious upheaval, this nation became a harsh gynocracy. The irony was that, while the religion preaches a respect for women's bodies and self-respect, the Byazuugahni women have taken it to an extreme, oppressing all but the most 'desirable' men. In another twist of irony, these 'disirable' men are spiteful, and take advantage of the women as much as they can... leading to a reversal of the religion's urge for women to respect themselves.

It's basically my way of saying that society's idea of a 'perfect man' or 'perfect woman' is most often a superficial one.

The subrace would have two different types, one for each gender... with a decidedly more favorable approach to women due to the cultural oppresion of males (Will save penalties, perhaps) but female Byazuugahni characters may suffer from a flaw that makes them terribly impolite to males, garnering a penalty to charisma checks unless a feat is sacrificed at level one to amend this. Women who sacrifice a feat will be known as the exceptions, those who have broken free of their culture in a stereotypical Drizzt way. ;-)

Culturally, Byazuuga resembled a mix of ancient India and the mesoamerican civilizations like the Incans.

Hostoff (Nation)

A large ethnic group of people who were a mix of mongolian/hunnic warriors, spartan lifestyle, and russian landmass/geology/population.

It's basically a nation where collectivism works. The people have an inherent ethnic identity, and they may have a leader that is technically powerless but loved (Like the English queen today, although put in overdrive, perhaps a very charismatic princess Diana type character? ...without all the negative gossip. :-P For a campaign idea, the entire nation could be thrown into war against a neighboring kingdom because a third party kidnapped the princess and framed the neighboring kingdom, or somesuch.) But on a small scale government, decisions would be made almost 'automatically', as in a hive mind without the queen. Imagine a small town without any definable leader; new rules seem to appear as needed. The plainsman hostoff may be an exception to this type of hive mind, preffering a tribal 'clan' leadership like a chief or somesuch. Also, when the Hostoff go to war, the hive mind remains, but 'the queen' may or may not appear. The most talented strategic mind may rally together the hostoff people into a battle group, OR they may just act like a 'war mob' if no such leader presents him/herself.

One aspect of the Hostoff that is shared by them all, is that they wear a white and black porcelein mask to battle, each design is unique (Or as unique as you can get with a country whose population excedes 100 million.)

There are 3 distinct types of hostoff people;

Common Hostoff, the most abundant group. As a subrace, they would gain 1 temporary HP when near another friendly hostoff character, as well as 1 temporary HP for every other hostoff in a 25 by 25 square area, up to a mathematical maximum of 50 HP. This was to represent the blind fanaticism of nationalism that is unique to the Hostoff people. In a global sense, a good deal of Hostoff armies would comprise of level 1 warriors with improvised weapons (or cheap weapons, like short swords) that would actually win battles with their superior numbers, albiet at an immense (yet to many, acceptable) loss of life. This temporary HP can be nullified by anything that also specifically disables morale bonuses.

Plainsman Hostoff
The plainsman hostoff are meant to represent the huns and mongolians more specifically than the other types of hostoff (even though they still resemble them), and as such, they receive a hefty bonus to the ride skill, as well as the ability to (eventually) ignore attack penalties on a horse, specifically in the realm of archery. As such, these are the 'special forces' of the Hostoff people. They are not haphazardly thrown at enemy fortifications like the Common hostoff, but rather used in more specialized roles. Don't get me wrong, however... They are not superior in 'social rank' as any other hostoff. The nation is an unofficial meritocracy, so while the plainsman naturally reach the top of the social food chain easier, they can still be trumped by a common hostoff who has the skill to provide a better use for the nation as a whole.

Northern Hostoff
I am strongly considering scrapping this whole subrace of the hostoff... These are basically the people who live in the far north regions of the massive hostoff nation, a place cold enough that I think each round/minute(?) of exposure would warrant some cold damage. As such, the northern hostoff people would have damage immunity to cold as much as the exact number of that occasional damage. ;-) Perhaps a Con or Survival bonus, as well. Unlike most, these hostoff are not particularly interested in the nation's politics... so I may just make them an NPC-only subrace. That, and the fact that they probably comprise only about 8% of the whole hostoff people. With the plainsman being about 20% or so, and the Common hostoff taking up the majority.

Basically, I don't mind scrapping Byazuuga so much, but I very much like the concept of the Hostoff people. It's unique and original. (in my mind, at least) ...and they have a certain flavor that I've never seen in any other setting. The idea was originally sparked from watching a few movies and playing a few video games of WWII Russia, where Russian soldiers (despite unarmed or poorly equipped) would just wade into enemy machine gun fire by the masses, and actually win battles that way. Sure, they were motivated by blind hate of the Germans and fear of being shot by their own people- but I changed that to better fit my needs. Perhaps a history/mythology would have to be devised in order to explain just exactly 'why' the Hostoff people are so communal.

Alright, so down to my basic 'wants' for this setting.

I like the name Aeuroth for the planet. ;-) I'm probably going to keep it. It sounds vaguely like 'Earth' and thematically fits, I think..

1. Humans are the main race, possibly the only intelligent ones. It's simply too difficult for a reader/player to have an empathetic bond with anything but a human. Sure, some people might have their heart strings pulled by a dwarf, a halfling, or an elf... but those are cliche and overdone, and won't appeal to as wide an audience. Thus, humans are the main, and possibly only race. Any others are secondary characters or of only historical signifigance.

2. An avoidance of the stereotypical cliches seen in fantasy settings. I'm loathe to include elves, orcs, trolls, dragons, or dwarves... but I can certaintly tolerate the more obscure beings like gnolls... or even the cliche things if they are presented in a refreshing new way, such as how Soul Reaver dealt with Vampires as being more monstrous than elegant. (Even though that wasn't the series' debut, and the game before that went with the classic 'elegant and debaucherous' outlook) as well as making the vampires victimized throughout the series. But I digress...

3. No deus ex machina! ;-) Everything has a reason, but I'm usually good at formulating those out of thin air. :-P It really makes no sense that a fantasy setting can have like 30 intelligent species... I mean, Earth had two intelligent species at one time, and one wiped out the other. Intelligent species occupy a very selective niche, and probably the only niche of the entire planet. I'm okay with multiple intelligent races if they are divided by geology or one is a dying breed, or divine intervention, or whatever. :-P

So basically, that's all I'm looking for. I'd normally start by drawing a map or somesuch, but I think it would be best to create the civilizations/nations first, and then craft the environment around them.

Well, this is all kind of vague... so I guess I'll try and pick a topic to start discussion on. ;-) Do you all like the Hostoff idea, and if so, where do you think they should fit in? I kind of intended them to be just the 'Enemy barbarian people', but I fell in love with them too much to assasinate their character like that. ;-) I don't think they'll be a lynchpin of the setting though... like the Romans were to Europe. ...Or the Thrannish to Rich's New World. ;-)

Paragon Badger
2007-08-10, 02:12 AM
New Idea! (I'll put it in a Freemind file. ;-))

When the planet was formed, Elders(name change?) were formed too. On a planetary scale, they are inseperable from Aeuroth, meaning that they could very well be the living incarnation of the planet's 'soul'.

I'm just blurbing out ideas from out of nowhere, keep in mind.

If an Elder dies, it's an assault on the planet itself, and life will find it just that much more difficult to thrive without that Elder. Chances are, Elders were around back when everything was a single-celled organism, perhaps even before.

Perhaps all life was born from the Elders?

I'm thinking that most elders are massive, benevolent, yet mysterious creatures. All dormant and unknown of except possibly one, one that's roaming a giant desert.

Another impulse idea: Elders can be almost invisible after a few hundred years of sleep. A humanoid shape elder could be slouched against the side of a mountain, and people would just assume it's a funny looking rock pattern. Perhaps, because of their natural life-giving/thriving abilities, people build cities (unwittingly) around them.

I dunno.

Any thoughts?

Malic
2007-08-10, 12:26 PM
Wow really like the Comunist feel you added to it. Truly original.

Thoughts...hmmm...I guess you need to finish the other two nations before you make the map. I guess you could make the Hostoff less relient on the "Elders" your thinking about. And then the other nation thats framed could be a much more "Elder" oriented people. That could explain a really fast choice to blame them aswell.

For the third nation it can be just about anything...purhaps a nation thats just coming from a barbaristic (is it a word...who care's lol) society and just started organizing a serious government. They got cocky and proud about it then tried to open relations with both countries. Purhaps a mix-up of sorts offended the newly formed nation and they wanted to get revenge so they do something they did as barbarians, steal the leader in the cloak of night...

What do you think of the idea?

Paragon Badger
2007-08-10, 11:56 PM
Hmmm... Just toying around with actual stats.

Here's a race. ;-) By race, I mean a human subtype with subsubtypes. >_>

Hostoff

Size: Medium
Speed: 35
Automatic Languages: Hostoff
Bonus Languages: None
Common Traits: Lightly tanned. Brown hair. Brown eyes. Sharp, angular, facial structure. Generally Chaotic Neutral.

Any magical effect that grants a morale bonus to a Hostoff character increases by one. (Satza masks are non-magical)

All Hostoff begin with one rank in Craft(Ceramics) and have it as a Class Skill.

All Hostoff begin with a Satsza mask, a handcrafted porcelain mask unique to the individual. It is forbidden to be sold or given, and it is forbidden to lose it dishonorably. It is also dishonorable to don it at any other time than battle (although it's not a strict requirement to wear it in anything less than a prepared battle.) A Craft (Ceramics) check is required to create a new mask.

All Satza Masks given at character creation are a Craft Check 0 type mask. New masks can be created with the Craft(Ceramics) skill. All Satza masks require one week and 0 gp to make, but require a few pounds of Kaolinite as materials. Kaolinite can be found by spending 1d12 hours searching for suitable material in rivers, mines, or rock formations. Most Satza masks are white, but some are rust colored, and even less are yellow or light orange.

All Satza masks are non-magical unless enchanted. Satza masks provide no effect to a non-Hostoff character wearing one, or a Hostoff who did not craft it. In rare circumstances, it can be given as a gift right after being crafted (though forbidden) and provides the same bonuses, but only if the bond between crafter and bearer is love. (There is more than one type of love, remember.)

Craft Checks - Result
0 (A suitable, albiet haphazard mask) [+1 to Intimidate]
15 (An intricate and stylized mask.) [+2 to Intimidate]
25 (A fine mask which avoids the more common Hostoff designs) [+2 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack]
30 (A masterwork mask which is distinctly memorable) [+2 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack]
35 (A brilliant mask, befitting of a hero) [+3 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC]
40 (A mask befitting of the greatest Hostoff warlords) [+3 to Intimidate, +2 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC)
50 (A mask rivalling the perfection of the Princess') [+3 to Intimidate, +3 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC)

All Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Preform checks take a -2 penalty if the target is aware of your Hostoff nationality. A disguise check (DC: Opposing Listen roll) can be made to hide your accent if you are speaking their language.

Optionally, You can spend 4 skill points to remove your accent from one language you know.

You always gain a circumstance bonus (+2) to your Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Preform checks when speaking to another Hostoff, or a character who has (for whatever strange reason) chosen to ignore your bad reputation.

Adulthood: 15
Venerable: 65
Maximum Age: +3d20

Base Height: 4'10"
Height Modifier: 8d4
Base Weight: 130 lb.
Weight Modifier: x(1d4)
Minimum Height and Weight: 5'6", 138 lb.
Average Height and Weight: 6'2", 162 lb.
Maximum Height and Weight: 7'6", 258 lb.

Average Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Hostoff Subraces:

Plainsman
+1 Dexterity
+5 to all Ride Checks
Dahzudahn Proficiency: A Hostoff Plainsman gains the Mounted Combat and Ride-by Attack for free at level 1, provided that she is wearing light or no armor. Additionally, ranged attacks made on a mount are made at one movement speed less, provided you are using a Javelin, Sling, or Shortbow (Regular or Composite)
Illiterate (as in the Barbarian class feature)

A Plainsman character is 2d4 inches shorter and 2d12 pounds lighter than normal.

Common
+1 Charisma
At the start of, and during a battle, a Common Hostoff gains 1 temporary HP when near another friendly Hostoff character, as well as 1 temporary HP for every other hostoff in a 25 by 25 square area, up to a maximum of 50 HP. These temporary hitpoints last until the character rests. If a friendly Hostoff within a 25 by 25 square area dies, subtract 1 temporary HP.

As for their non-statistical signifigance.

I think they won't be the center 'kingdom' of the story, but rather the center kingdom's bane. ;-) The idea of making them secular is a good one, Malic. They seem to be the type of people that have more faith in human hard work than divine intervention.

A kingdom that's coming out of the dark ages and becoming a real power is a good idea, kind of like how Europe popped out of nowhere when the Middleeast, China, and the Mesoamerican civilizations were at the top of the food chain.

This new kingdom would definately have some tension with the existing Hostoff people.

Hmmm, now we're getting somewhere. :smallbiggrin:

Malic
2007-08-11, 12:59 AM
Looking at the alignments I can't help but think they should be Lawful Neutral mostly. It wouldn't make sense for a haotic group to make a nation that thrive's on undying devotion to themselves as a group. Chaotic Good would probably be a good match for the devoute nation. And Chaotic Neutral with tendancies of evil would match the new country.

Also purhaps add a bit of depth to the Hostoff by giving them a small (yet highly organized) group of Rebbellious people. You can't live in any type of government without having internal conflicts of a sort. Although the new nation's a tad young for anything like that yet. Everyone's focusing on becoming a whole they kind of ignore the fine detail so they won't need that much depth.

Also I think it would be cool if you used the Hostoff. Purhaps they could choose to be part of the "Rebellion" later in the game...

By the way I have a faint Idea how the map might look so if you want I could describe a few map idea's to you.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-11, 04:40 AM
Some brain teasers I've been working myself on...

What are Elders?

They are directly linked to the planet and the planet's health, I'm thinking.

So what does that make them? Animals? No... Animals live 'on' the planet, and are not exactly a part of it.

So what is an Elder?

Is it a positive energy being, 'living' earth?

No... positive and negative energy are outside, divine influences from their respective planes.

Are Elders just the 'famaliar' or avatar of the planet's living 'soul'?

So that makes the planet more than just a big hunk of rock and magma, surrounded by air...

If so, how does the planet live? I'm thinking of the 'Pure Evil entity' from Fifth Element, although in this case, it is much less... pure evil, and more of a True Neutral or Neutral Good 'thing'.

Sadly, I think that with the complexity of the philosophy I'm going at with the planet being alive and everything... All that touchy feely good 'mother earth' stuff. It's gonna have to be scrapped. I simply can't justify it in a realistic way.

It's cool and all, with the planet being a living entity, but there's simply no way to make it viable, it seems. The thing has no heart, no organs... and to be a 'ghost' or a 'construct' or a 'negative/positive energy being', it has to be involved in another plane, and that defeats the whole 'mother earth' theme if its 'life' came from a whole different universe.

If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Sorry mother earth, Sorry elders... you're going to have to be scrapped, or at least put away for later.

So back to the topic at hand.

The whole living earth theme gave me a pretty good rough outline of a genesis story, but without it, I'm kind of screwed.

Sure, I could go with the purely scientific awnser. Big Bang, microscopic organisms evolved into humans and animals, ect... but that lacks the pizzaz that I'm looking for. Perhaps not a deus ex machina creationist story akin to Oots, but something 'there', nontheless. Heck, it doesn't even have to be 'canon'- it could just be an accepted explanation by the planet's people.

Hrummmm.

Well, time to take a step away from the epic, world-building scale and go back to the much less epic kingdom-building scale. :-P

I like the idea of a small rebellion amongst the Hostoff. Perhaps an isolated tribe, hidden away in the mountains/on an island/ect. that's managed to defend itself from the goliath culture-consuming nation that is the Hostoff. ;-)

Perhaps this rebellion would be the northern people, the 'third' subtype? What motivation would they have for rebelling, though? Maybe not open war, but at the very least, ceding away from the mainland.

Perhaps it's an ancient grudge from hundreds of years (maybe thousands) ago that never got resolved. Perhaps Hostoff was a giant conglomeration of seperate tribes and cultures before uniting, and the 'rebels' managed to avoid being assimilated into the one culture?

Hmmm.

I think the new kingdom should be geographically seperated from Hostoff, by mountains or a desert or water or somesuch. In some way that they would have avoided being conquered by the ancient hostoff people.

Should there be a 'rome' archetype? IE: A Kingdom that's long gone, ruins only, but managed to unify all the non-barbarian people (ie: non Hostoff. ;-)) into using one alphabet, one type of culture, ect.? Basically, explaining the 'Common' language? Or, more interested game-play wise, should I not allow a Common language? Each region has its own language, much like Earth? It would make investing skill points into Speak Language actually worth it. >_>

This would help the theme of names like 'Aeuroth, and Hostoff perhaps being just an archaic, outdated way of saying 'Hostoth', ect. Or vice versa, 'Hostoth' is just 'Ye olde spellinge'... Hmm. That makes more sense.

Humm. I kind of like some people calling it Hostoff and some people calling it Hostoth, perhaps just the scholars know of the alternate prenunciation. Plus, it adds a bit flavor to the language. Maybe they can't even pronounce 'th' that well like the French? Instead of 'The' being 'Zee', it becomes 'Fee' :-P

I digress. >_>

Edit: Hostoff alignment... Hmmm. Let me read up on the exact alignment definitions again.

On the good and evil axis, it's neutral, of course. They're not exactly benevolent but they aren't exactly orcs either. :-P

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#lawVsChaos

The Hostoff people are very deeply into traditional values/culture. +1 for Lawful. Obedience to authority. Another +1.

On the other hand, Chaos is freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. +1 for Chaos.

"Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them."

That's very Hostoff. :-P The meritocracy aspect, especcially. +1 for Chaos.

"Someone who is neutral with respect to law and chaos has a normal respect for authority and feels neither a compulsion to obey nor a compulsion to rebel. She is honest but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others."

I'm loathe to put them into the 'True Neutral' zone... basically the place where alignments go to die. ;-)

Malic
2007-08-11, 09:59 AM
Actually you can really make the elders work out realisticly. Saying the planet can't be considered a living organism is like saying the Elven race isn't getting steriotypical...Well maybe not that bad... Anyway it works together to keep the balance so everything can continue to live(Ie. Cells make tissue, which make's organs, which make organe system, which make's us.).

Anyway the Elder's can be Avatar's or "Representations" of each main factor that balances Earth. When one fall the rest must adapt or Earth may die.

And about the rebellion I had the idea for a standard "We hate our government" Rebellion but your was good too. PUrhaps combine the two. It started with a small group of standard rebellions who ended up merging with a large group of newcomer's who also (Since living on there own so long) dislike the way things are run.

And the alignment you can alway's put them as True Neutral with Lawful Tendencies. Meaning Kind of lawful but no Paladin.

Lol. I can't believe I'm the only one helping here...

Paragon Badger
2007-08-11, 11:19 PM
I should be able to fix that. ;-) (See title.)

Yay! Elders and the Living Planet are back on the table. Perhaps the Elders are not the planet's avatars, per se... but rather a home for the planet's soul? Split up into different parts so the mother earth could keep an eye on its creations. Killing one would greatly injure the planet; The air would get thicker, planets coulden't thrive as well. Ect.

Alright. So I'm thinking this. When Hostoff underwent its cultural coming-together, a few tribes protested. This was countered by unofficial military action. Facing a tremendously difficult nation with millions of combat-capable inhabitants, the rebel tribes fled their home, perhaps to a sacred, ancestral, place... like a mountain peak or some other easily defendable location. They banded together (ironically embracing the cultural assimilation they rebelled against) and have maintained an uneasy passive-aggresive peace with the mainland (only because of their immense tactical advantage.)

Synopsis

Global Scale

-The planet is more than a mass of rock with an atmosphere around it. It is a living, breathing, entity. It is a benevolent thing, as you can expect.

-The planet's soul is represented by sleeping/wandering creatures known as Elders. Elders are the 'homes' of the Planet's soul. Each one is an incomplete part of the planet's whole soul. Incomplete does not mean imperfect, however. Apart, they are just as powerful in regards to keeping the planet and the beings on it alive as they would be together, in one form.

I generally want them to have all of these traits in common:

Generally colossal, animalistic beasts. While they have an intelligence above 2, It's probably going to cap at around 4, at best. Think of each Elder as an incomplete part of one being. If they all combined, they would form a diety of intelligence. I deliberately want to avoid having this 'diety' be human-shaped or have human qualities. It's a mother earth type being, and on this planet, humans are just along for the free ride. In fact, humans could be considered an abomination to the planet, since we've evolved beyond 2 intelligence and some nations have taken more than they've given to the environment. :smallwink:

Gentle, benevolent, and non-violent. Very tolerant- perhaps tolerant enough to allow people to build cities on/around their bodies when they are dormant. Kind enough not to outright destroy human civilizations, even though it may or may not consider them 'abominations'.

Nature-oriented. Perhaps trees are growing straight out of the Elders' skin. And they are usually walking, breathing, ecosystems.

Political Scale

At least three main nations for the setting's focus. (There could be more, but they are in far-away lands, reserved for another campaign. :smallwink: )

-A new nation, perhaps the main 'character' nation. It's just rising out of a dark age and becoming a regional power to contend with the other two.

-Another nation, possibly older, possibly a 'creator' civilization like Rome was to all the western european nations. Don't know yet.

-A third nation, the 'barbarian' to the other two; Hostoff. The society is basically a flexible socialist state on paper and in practice too. Most people are considered equal, and those who aren't, are usually distinguished by their actions and nothing else. A very in-depth culture that I can't go into detail in this little blurb. A popular figure head; a beloved cultural icon that's politically powerless but has a great amount of social influence, such as the English Queen. Overarching cultural influence that easily makes this nation larger than the other two combined. Also, a rebel tribe/faction that, though small, is able to defend itself against the main nation.

Malic
2007-08-12, 12:53 AM
Sounds good so far. I guess now we should start working on the map...Is it just me or is this almost a partnership :smallamused:

About the defending rebellion we need a way so they can supplie themselve's so they can't be far North (no farming) I would say put a mountain range on the leftish side of the continent the Hostoff are on. Put a river flowing through it and set up the rebels behind a river with mountains behind them. Thats how the city of Rome's capitol was so hard to capture I believe. The river would also supply a good amount of farmland. So they got it set.

Back to the map...hmmm I'm thinking three continents but one's practically an Island. The Hostoff on the larger right one. The Older much more belief oriented nation on the left and the new nation on the island chains and big Island.

And languages would be neat if they where' different but more and more are learning a familure one to try to ease tension between them.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-12, 01:23 AM
Man, I'd be easier if I could catalogue all my info in a place other than 80 million text files. ;-)

How about this? Instead of limited poor accents to the Hostoff, :smallwink: you can invest one skill point into Speak Languages and you'd have a rudimentary understanding, two and you have a moderate understanding, 3 and it's as good as your first language.

Might be harder for the PCs to adapt, but it certaintly would add more flavor for an RP-oriented game.

Alright, so the rebel hostoff are situated in a valley, surrounded by a ring of mountains, with a river or two flowing into the valley from a high lake (big lakes in the middle of mountains do exist, they're melted glaciers. :smalltongue: )

I like the idea of an island chain nation... it gives them a reason for being able to defend against the Hostoff.

Hmmm.. Perhaps a change to Rangers and Druids is in order, with the settings' theme of nature.

I'm loathe to change the system too much. But on a conceptual basis, perhaps all magic is derived from nature, rather than the outer planes? A burning hands spell could be created by channeling the chemicals in the air around your palms, and superheating it. Perhaps change or move around a few spells to be more nature-oriented?

Malic
2007-08-12, 01:45 PM
Then don't change the system just the underlying causes for why each class can do whatthey do. Although elemental Palidens would own.

I'm thinking about posting up a Campaign setting of my own...Maybe in a month or two...

Anyway. Whats all that about the Island chain Nation having to defend from the Hostoff. All out war? Hmmmm...

Paragon Badger
2007-08-12, 09:48 PM
That would make a rather good capsulated campaign.. :-P

But I'm thinking that back in 'the ancient days', the Hostoff went on a big cultural and military assimilation, but coulden't cross the sea/ocean/ect, so the 'new nation' managed to avoid becoming indoctrinated into the hostoff culture.

I made a freemind map of all of my thoughts. It's basically everything posted here, neatly organized into categories and such.

Yeah, I can tweak the more abstract mechanics of the clerics, paladins, and wizards to make it so that while they're abilities are basically the same, they get their power from another source.

Hmmm. Perhaps Paladins are less of a 'Arbiter of the Gods, granted divine power' type class, but more like a Knight who is in service to their kingdom or a group, or a cause...who happens to have the powers like Aura of Courage and Smiting. ;-)

Heck, all magic could just be explained the X-Men way. 'Genetic fluke'. But then I might have to get rid of the wizard class and allow only the sorceror. Clerics would also have their magic via genetic fluke, but don't need Charisma to use it. What of domains, then? Perhaps domains would just be 'specialization' into a type of magic, rather than powers granted specifically by your chosen diety.

Wait, am I talking about a world with no dieties? No gods? :-P The mother earth planet kind of replaces that aspect in the story... but I suppose some cultures could worship gods who aren't really 'there', since most people (with a few rare exceptions, and some people in the older kingdom) are unaware of the planet's true nature, and just attest Elders to being mindless, albiet huge, beasts.

Hmmm... I'm starting to get a Nausicaa of the Wind vibe from this setting, minus the Hayao Miyazaki style pervading goo/mist that kills all life. :smallwink:

That's not neccesarily a bad thing, though. But I don't think I'll turn this into an apocalyptic setting like that.

So, to sum up today's post! :smalltongue:

Wizards, Clerics, Sorcerors, ect. all get their magic from a different source, other than the planes and dieties. Little else of their classes are changed.

Wizards MAY not be allowed, but Sorcerors would be- on the basis that magic may be an inherent trait in human beings, ie: genetically. (Clerics would still be included, though- but their power is also genetic)

Paladins might not get their power from the gods- but rather would be champions of justice who happen to have extraordinary powers. :smallwink:

Psionics? I often don't like including both magic and psionics, preffering to disallow one or the other... Or at the very least, make one very rare and less likely to be encountered.

Paragon Badger
2007-08-13, 07:45 PM
So, some random thoughts:

All PC characters are likely to be human. As such, everyone gains the bonuses of an extra feat and bonus skill points from being human, but also gain bonuses (and drawbacks) per nationality. Nationality is generally mandatory, although exceptions could be made... or a 'Rogue' nationality could be made for people who were born and raised outside of any particular nation.

Also, I tried to tweak out the only nationality we have. :smalltongue:

Hostoff

Size: Medium
Speed: 35
Automatic Languages: Hostoff
Bonus Languages: None
Common Traits: Lightly tanned. Brown hair. Brown eyes. Sharp, angular, facial structure. Usually fit, lean, and tall.

All Hostoff begin with one free rank in Craft(Ceramics) and have it as a Class Skill.

All Hostoff do not innately have Armor Proficiency(Medium) or Armor Proficiency(Heavy), even if it is granted by their class. These proficiencies can be regained by investing feats in them, however.

All Hostoff begin with a Satsza mask, a handcrafted porcelain mask unique to the individual. It is forbidden to be sold or given, and it is forbidden to lose it dishonorably. It is also dishonorable to don it at any other time than battle (although it's not a strict requirement to wear it in anything less than a prepared battle.) A Craft (Ceramics) check is required to create a new mask.

All Satza Masks given at character creation are a Craft Check 0 type mask. New masks can be created with the Craft(Ceramics) skill. All Satza masks require one week and 0 gp to make, but require a few pounds of Kaolinite as materials. Kaolinite can be found by spending 1d12 hours searching for suitable material in rivers, mines, or rock formations. Most Satza masks are white, but some are rust colored, and even less are yellow or light orange.

All Satza masks are non-magical unless enchanted. Satza masks provide no effect to a non-Hostoff character wearing one, or a Hostoff who did not craft it. In rare circumstances, it can be given as a gift right after being crafted (though forbidden) and provides the same bonuses, but only if the bond between crafter and bearer is love. (There is more than one type of love, remember.)

Craft Checks - Result
0 (A suitable, albiet haphazard mask) [+1 to Intimidate]
15 (An intricate and stylized mask.) [+2 to Intimidate]
25 (A fine mask which avoids the more common Hostoff designs) [+2 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack]
30 (A masterwork mask which is distinctly memorable) [+2 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack]
35 (A brilliant mask, befitting of a hero) [+3 to Intimidate, +1 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC]
40 (A mask befitting of the greatest Hostoff warlords) [+3 to Intimidate, +2 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC)
50 (A mask rivalling the perfection of the Princess') [+3 to Intimidate, +3 Morale Bonus to Attack and AC)

All Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Preform checks take a -2 penalty if the target is aware of your Hostoff nationality. A disguise check (DC: Opposing Listen roll) can be made to hide your accent if you are speaking their language without a full Speak Language proficiency.

You always gain a circumstance bonus (+2) to your Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Preform checks when speaking to another Hostoff, or a character who has (for whatever strange reason) chosen to ignore your bad reputation.

Adulthood: 15
Venerable: 65
Maximum Age: +3d20

Base Height: 4'10"
Height Modifier: 8d4
Base Weight: 130 lb.
Weight Modifier: x(1d4)
Minimum Height and Weight: 5'6", 138 lb.
Average Height and Weight: 6'2", 162 lb.
Maximum Height and Weight: 7'6", 258 lb.

Average Alignment: True Neutral, with lawful tendencies.

Hostoff Subraces:

Common
+1 Charisma
Fanaticism: At the start of, and during a battle, a Common Hostoff gains 1 temporary HP when near another friendly Hostoff character, as well as 1 temporary HP for every other hostoff in a 25 by 25 square area, up to a maximum of 50 HP. These temporary hitpoints last until the character rests. If a friendly Hostoff within a 25 by 25 square area dies, subtract 1 temporary HP. A hostoff character cannot gain additional temporary HP by the same person twice in one battle.

Additionally, Any magical effect that grants a morale bonus to a Common Hostoff character increases by 1.5x and stacks with the non-magical morale bonus of Satza masks.

A Common Hostoff gains a weapon focus for any simple weapon of their choosing for free at level 1.

Favored Class: Bard, Fighter, or Paladin

Plainsman
+1 Dexterity
+2 to all Ride Checks
Dahzudahn Excellency: Ranged attack penalties made on a mount are halved, provided you are using a Javelin, Sling, or Shortbow (Regular or Composite) and are wearing light or no armor. Additionally, the Ride DC for standing atop your mount is reduced by 5 via special training, making it a DC 35 check, nor do you need to be an epic level character to do this.
Illiterate (as in the Barbarian class feature)

A Plainsman character is 2d4 inches shorter and 2d12 pounds lighter than normal for her nationality.

All Hostoff plainsmen begin with a light warhorse. It's ability scores all suffer a permanent -1 penalty, but your ability modifiers at level 1 are added to the warhorse's abilities. Intelligence remains fixed at a constant 2.

This is a horse that you have personally reared from birth. Once you reach level 4, and every other level after that, the warhorse gains a hit die. For rangers and druids, this becomes their animal companion, and gains all the benefits of being such. If your warhorse dies or is lost, you cannot gain a new one that is speccially attuned to you. As an NPC, the warhorse has a constant fanatic attitude towards you, but does not gain any of the morale bonuses from that attitude.

Favored Class: Barbarian, Fighter, or Ranger

Rebel Hostoff
+2 Strength, +2 Constitution
+1 Natural Armor
+2 racial bonus to Climb, Jump, and Survival checks
Rebel Hostoff gain a +5 fortitude bonus against cold weather exposure.

Rebel Hostoff do not gain the circumstance bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Preform checks when speaking to a fellow Hostoff unless they are also a Rebel Hostoff, but they are more likely to earn the sympathy of foreigners.

While regular Hostoff usually have white clay Satza masks, the Rebel Hostoff's masks are usually rusty red or pinkish in color, from the mountainous clay that is used in their construction.

Favored Class: Barbarian, Fighter, or Ranger
ECL: +1

Malic
2007-08-14, 02:39 AM
I like the mask idea, but the combat seems tipped in Hostoff's favor. All you have to do is put on a mask and bam your stronger. So masks for all the Nations! Or some other Nation specific bonus item. Perhaps the Elder abiding Nation (How about we call them the Averost) have an automatic skill bonus in Craft (Paint) and paint there Nations symbol on the chest peice of there armor giving the same bonuses. And the Ex Barbarians can have a free point in Craft (Smithing) and have a Family pendent draped around there neck.

Hmmm. Maybe the other ace could be Kitsune's. (Half fox/Half Humans with one tail not the usual 9) Just give them the stats of Half-Elf or mabye do a little homebrewing (race). But lets cross that bridge later...

Sooo...once again is this starting to become a joint project or what? :smalltongue:

Paragon Badger
2007-08-14, 01:42 PM
Hmm. While all the D&D standard races are fairly similiar...

[Generic ability +2, -2]
[Generic skill bonus]
[ect.]

I want these nationalities to have a distinct difference, so that it's not even a matter of what race is the best- but rather what race is suited to you, fluff and style wise. Hostoff lack all armor proficiencies but light- yet they get slight bonuses for investing skill ranks into crafting masks, and they are erratically powerful. A common hostoff isn't so powerful unless he's with some friends, or has a spellcaster buffing him up with morale spells. And common hostoff have an automatic focus in any simple weapon, despite the fact that most simple weapons are just plain inferior to others. A plainsman hostoff is really powerful while mounted, but will be in trouble if you knock him off his horse or somesuch. And the rebel hostoff are somewhat of an afterthought, since I want to nudge PCs away from taking that subrace.

I haven't thought out the other nationalities yet, but I hope to make them distinctly different and yet at the same level of power as the others, so much that it would be difficult to compare them.

However, if the old and new nations end up inferior to the hostoff, i'll have to take away some of the bonuses.

But it's hard to generate a race without a backstory, so I guess I'll start on that. Averost is a nice name, seems kind of arctic, since it ryhmes with frost and sorta begins like Everest. :-P

Yeah, I think this is becoming a joint project. :-P I think that people simply don't feel like reading through a few paragraphs per post. :smalltongue:

Alright, so let's start on the new nation.

They live on a chain of islands, so I'm thinking that they are somewhat industrious, being able to manufacture many boats. Perhaps they're slightly, and I mean real slightly industrialized, like late midieval-type? Real archaic cannons and guns... heck, maybe even home-brewed guns, developed at a technology level below industrial.

I imagine them having large city-ships, for some reason.. but that is more of an oceanic thing than a chain of islands..

Perhaps a bonus to things like appraise, craft, and proffession? I see them as being a very commercial, trading, type of people, able to accelerate their nation's power to catch up with the other two by virtue of having alot of money.

A few skill bonuses won't put them at the same calibre as the hostoff though... And adding a swim speed might make a few players go 'Whoopdedoo, now can I have something that I might actually use?'

Although the hostoff's lack of armor proficiencies would require you to invest two feats in order to become a high AC non-dex tank... and even then, you probably won't have the skill points to invest in an epic level craft skill.

Now, for the Averost (Averosti? Averostians? Averosteese? :smalltongue: ), I don't even know where to begin, except that they'll be much less industrious than the new nation and less warhappy as the hostoff. Hey, perhaps the Averost people are not even human, but rather an acient race of people who once where the main inhabitants of the planet- until the humans bred like bunnies. Fox-people sounds interesting... though I have a friend who was doing the same thing as a playable race, and I woulden't want to muscle in on his territory. ;-)

Paragon Badger
2007-08-16, 05:33 AM
Seriously considering making it a psionic only world... :smalleek: :smallconfused:

Argh. This bothers me... Why can't I ever be content with any literary thing I create? Sure, as an artist, It's never fully 'complete' with anything I paint... It just gets to the point where I've done all I can, and 'completing' it, or making it better is simply beyond the artist's ability... All painters experience that, and it's generally not that unpleasant, just a fact of the trade.

Yet everytime I try to create a plotline, a cohesive story, or even a setting for said story, I end up getting dissatisfied for some reason... I can't even tell what it is, exactly, that bothers me. :smallconfused: It really annoys me, and makes me wonder how neurotic I really am. :smalleek:

Perhaps I'm too clingy to certain parts of the setting that when put together, they don't fit... Hmmm. Also seriously considering dropping the hostoff or simply using them in a different story/setting, for that very reason. The social themes of communalism and mob mentality within the hostoff just don't exactly fit in with the wider theme of environment and the whole 'mother earth' thing...

The main global relationships should probably be the people and their environment, not between the different nations...

Perhaps I should step back and start over, from the basest of things; the themes. Hruuummmm... I'll have to ponder on this further before making any big decisions... If only I could talk to my quasi-muse more often. :smalltongue:

Ack, don't get me wrong, Malic, you've been a big help. Hey, without you, I'd still be at square one; trying to figure out a way to keep the earth and the elders as a theme.

I have most of my information (even the things that have been scrapped) kept in a plethora of text files around my computer, anyway... So it's not like I can't go back... Hrrmmmm...

Damn, I am such an anal, obsessive weirdo. :smalltongue: I can never get off more than a few dozen pages of writing without grumbling and wanting to start over.

Perhaps I should just be one of those 'short story' authors. :smalltongue:

(Creepy, After checking thoroughly... All of my major literary works in progress have stopped dead at page 21. :smalleek: Maybe I'm cursed.)

Malic
2007-08-17, 08:56 AM
Thats the funny thing about the world. If you have the will to finish artistic thing's you can't. I ussually don't have a problem with finishing it. I could finich just about anything if I wanted to. Sadly I'm more a a Leanardo DaVinci type artist. I often time's lose interest in thing's before they're finished. So either way you go you usually end up copping out at the last minute because of an inability to complete it because it isn't perfect or not enough of awill to continue the work.

So on the end the only people who win are the one's who just kiss having fun goodbye. I personally like mine and/or your way better.